Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default exterior paint for metal?

i am looking to get some exterior paint, it must be able to stand up to the elements and be able to be thinned to spray out of a gun. it will be used on an old military vehical, i plan on redoing the whole truck next year so i'm just looking for something to get it into one color. any suggestions would really help. thanks
    jake

Default Re: exterior paint for metal?

umm .... primer?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There are all sorts of paints made just for vehicles. Any paint store should have something. Speciallty paint store, just for auto's would have the biggest selection and the best place to get everything you need to do a professional job. And it's usually best to stick to one line of products for everything from primer, topcoat and clearcoat for best results.

Online I've found House of Kolor to carry most everything you'll ever need.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Lycoming County)

ok, maybe i should expand on this. 95% of the truck is green. i have been doing some rust repair on it and would like to get as close to the rest of the truck as possable. and maybe blend a little so that i dont have a truck that looks like a complete gobstopper. i just want to use a cheap exterior paint untill i actually redo the whole truck. it is going to take about 2 gallons to do the whole thing.

(Lycoming County)

ok so basicaly the question is, water, oil, or latex paint? what will hold up better, and what will sand of easier (not clog up the sand paper as much?) when i want to remove it?

(Allegheny County)

Polyurethane. If I'm not mistaken, that's what goes on vehicles now.

(Franklin County)

A lot of new vehicles are painted with modified, two part acrylics. I'm a painter by trade and I can guide you to exactly what you'll need. I'm in a bit of a hurry now, but if you can PM me with the basics of what you'd like to do, I can come up with a great solution. I'll be home later this evening to read the PM and guide you to the easiest to use, but most durable paint finish. It doesn't have to be a hard job to do. Actually it can be done pretty simple.

I have four questions.

How much rust is on the vehicle?

How much are you willing to spend on materials?

How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

Will it be a work truck or something that's just going to get beat up?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    ok, maybe i should expand on this. 95% of the truck is green. i have been doing some rust repair on it and would like to get as close to the rest of the truck as possable. and maybe blend a little so that i dont have a truck that looks like a complete gobstopper. i just want to use a cheap exterior paint untill i actually redo the whole truck. it is going to take about 2 gallons to do the whole thing.
    IF you just want to protect it from the elements until you can properly paint it, just use a good high fill primer from a spay can (get one of the gun attachments).. 3-4 can's can cover an entire vehicle..

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    The cheapest, most durable route to go would be to 1) prime it then 2) paint it.

If you are looking to "just get by" then 3 or 4 rattle cans of cheap primer followed by 3 or 4 cans of cheap Krylon will work until you can redo the whole thing.

Were it me I'd hit it with some primer and let it be, if the intent is to redo the whole thing in the next year or so.

Or maybe I'm not undrstanding, which is entirely possible.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    The cheapest, most durable route to go would be to 1) prime it then 2) paint it.

If you are looking to "just get by" then 3 or 4 rattle cans of cheap primer followed by 3 or 4 cans of cheap Krylon will work until you can redo the whole thing.

Were it me I'd hit it with some primer and let it be, if the intent is to redo the whole thing in the next year or so.

Or maybe I'm not undrstanding, which is entirely possible.
    you hit the nail on the head, but i can't find any rattle cans that come close to the light olive drab color. so i was gonna go to lowes and have them mix me some exterior pait that will come closer. the truck is a 1970 m35 deuce. so in real single stage or base/clear coat it is estimated to take about 2 gallons. that can add up fast so i only want to buy the right paint once. thats why i was asking about the exterior pait water based, oil, or latex for a temporary cheap coating untill it is redone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast