Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Can security guards search my things or my person without consent?

Alright, in the spring and summer I work on the side for a outside company who does work at both Hershey Park, I in NO way work for Hershey Park in any way, shape or form. This summer I will not feel comfortable leaving my firearm in the car on hot summer days for hours on end...I can get a locker with no problem. Except they search bags for everyone...If I would conceal it inside to the lockers, and remove my pistol and put it in my bag and lock my bag (they also do random searches of lockers). Do these security guards here have the right to search my stuff? Either on my person or in their lockers? I work for an outside like I said, and they even stop me and ask me if I have a cell phone, and if I say yes, they "attempt" to take it...The last time they tried to take my cell phone the lady actually attempted to rip it out of my hands, when I threatened to call the police for that, they didnt both me after that for a cell again.Anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Security Guards there are assholes. "I don't care if your secret service, you'll leave your gun at home." When I asked last year about it (waaay before i bought my pistol. My company doesn't care "off record" as long as its not on me while working, like it can be in the car or whatnot.

Edit: Thanks to whoever moved this, I didnt take notice to where it was posted. Sorry.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; February 6th, 2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Typo.

(York County)

Default Re: Can security guards search my things or my person without consent?

If you sign a consent form, they can.
    Occasionally, you'll have to sign something like that as a condition of employment.

(Lancaster County)

I never had to sign anything for them. I had to sign to get an ID though, but that's it.

Now if they would change this year and have me sign saying I wont bring this stuff in. However my company said it's ok, what do I do? I know Hershey doesn't care if you leave it in your car, they already said to people they wont search cars. I don't know if I would feel comfortable leaving it there.

What happens if they would do random checks in lockers, my bag is locked and I refuse to open it? Can they do anything legally?
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; February 6th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

(Indiana County)

I was always under the assumption that if it is private property, it's their rules.

If there is a no firearms provision at the park, then I believe they can ask you to leave if you insist on being armed.

Can a security guard grab your gun? I would think not, but I would be a bit concerned about a rent a cop acting like a "hero" and drawing down on you.

I was wondering, why do you worry about leaving your gun in a hot car for hours?
    It's not going to melt.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I was always under the assumption that if it is private property, it's their rules.

If there is a no firearms provision at the park, then I believe they can ask you to leave if you insist on being armed.

Can a security guard grab your gun? I would think not, but I would be a bit concerned about a rent a cop acting like a "hero" and drawing down on you.

I was wondering, why do you worry about leaving your gun in a hot car for hours?
    It's not going to melt.
    Their employee lot isn't really staffed with security, and break ins last summer in the parking lot there has me worried. The heat though on hot summer days I don't know. I know they can take the abuse like that..I don't think it would be a problem.

The only thing they say for their employees is no employee shall bring a weapon into the park. The employee locker area is actually outside of the park, which is why they dont care about cars.

(York County)

Looks as if it is a "Catch 22 " situation. I believe they have an Employees
    Handbook for rules at the park. You are subject to it on their property.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    Looks as if it is a "Catch 22 " situation. I believe they have an Employees
    Handbook for rules at the park. You are subject to it on their property.
    Even if we don't get their handbook? If worst comes to worse I'll just leave it in the car since no one has a problem with that.

Really pisses me off about cell phones though, the day the lady tried to rip it out of my hands I was on the phone with my boss, while my asst manager was beside me. I was so pissed that day. You don't go up to someone while they're on the phone and grab that area and reach for their cell.

(Jefferson County)

Generally by entering and/or staying on their property you accept their conditions by default and are subject to them. I do believe there are some limitations to what and how they can search though.

(Monroe County)

I really try not to get into conversations like this. But I do what I want to do, as long as I am within the LAW!!! look at it like this, is having the firearm on you, more important then your job? If so, then take your chances. If not listen to the rules and regulations. As for searching you, I don't think they can search you with out your consent.(Lockers are a different story) But they can tell you to leave. And as for the whole cell phone thing. I ant going to sit here and talk shit, but I am sorry I wouldnt beable to hold back form the security guard. No person has the right to just walk up to you and try to grab you property. That security guard will one day meet someone that has a different view on life then you.
    When you think, You think you know!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PweShay View Post
    I really try not to get into conversations like this. But I do what I want to do, as long as I am within the LAW!!! look at it like this, is having the firearm on you, more important then your job? If so, then take your chances. If not listen to the rules and regulations. As for searching you, I don't think they can search you with out your consent.(Lockers are a different story) But they can tell you to leave. And as for the whole cell phone thing. I ant going to sit here and talk shit, but I am sorry I wouldnt beable to hold back form the security guard. No person has the right to just walk up to you and try to grab you property. That security guard will one day meet someone that has a different view on life then you.
    I agree with the last part, I just hope I can be there that day or atleast get told about it.

After getting some responses here and talking to other people I think i'll just leave it in my car since they are ok with that, I can always secure it in the trunk or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast