Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9MM Carbine

(Dauphin County)

Default 9MM Carbine

Hi-Point makes a 9MM Carbine. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one and what they though of the following idea I had:

I currently carry a Hi-Point C9 9MM and are planning on picking up one for my wife once I get her familiar with auto's. In an effort to save money and space, getting the 9MM Carbine would allow me to stockpile 9MM ammo only.

Also, would a 9MM Carbine have enough power to drop deer should I use it for hunting?
    Quote Originally Posted by GOULD, Circuit Judge, concurring:
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

Default Re: 9MM Carbine

I know nothing about Hi-Points, but I don't believe you can use a semi-auto to hunt in PA.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Allegheny County)

Coustain,

Here are some links to threads I've posted on regarding the carbine...
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42...t-carbine.html

for MY input, in the post #2, click on the link and go to page 2 for post #16.
    (confused?)

I like my carbine. I don't LOVE it. It shoots well and only a few jams so far. Wouldn't rely on it to save my life, but it can't be beat for a short range plinker! My biggest complaint is that it's hard to take down to clean.

Oh, and don't try hunting deer w/a 9mm.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

My father-in-law is the hunter and rifle nut in the family, so maybe I should ask him about the hunting part. But does anyone have a suggestion for a hunting rifle that will be usefull for deer and people (Home defense for the people part lol)?
    Quote Originally Posted by GOULD, Circuit Judge, concurring:
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coustain View Post
    My father-in-law is the hunter and rifle nut in the family, so maybe I should ask him about the hunting part. But does anyone have a suggestion for a hunting rifle that will be usefull for deer and people (Home defense for the people part lol)?
    Get a shotgun. Hunt with slugs.

You can't hunt deer with a semi-auto in PA. Remington makes a pump that will take AR15 mags, but .223 is still too small for deer (for most people).

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Get a shotgun. Hunt with slugs.

You can't hunt deer with a semi-auto in PA. Remington makes a pump that will take AR15 mags, but .223 is still too small for deer (for most people).

Absolutely, positively cannot hunt with a semi auto in Pa, with the exception of a semi auto shotgun, with a magazine plug to accept a maximum of 2 rounds +1 in the chamber(3 total).

Why would anyone want to hunt with slugs? With the exception of the added challenge. Since the question was with regard to hunting with a semi, I would assume that was not an issue.

Not correct regarding the semi auto shotgun. No semi's for deer! As pointed out by Lycanthrope
    Last edited by God's Country; April 22nd, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Why would anyone want to hunt with slugs? With the exception of the added challenge. Since the question was with regard to hunting with a semi, I would assume that was not an issue.
    Since he was looking a HD and deer hunting weapon, the shotgun is really his best choice.

Semi's are a no-no for deer.....even shotguns. Turkey is the only big game exception. And ....as he was considering a 9mm, the use of slugs is a big upgrade. A smoothbore slug barrel is short, cheap and can dust deer out to 150 yards with good ammo. With buckshot it is perfect for home defense.

Another option would be a short lever or pump action, but your typical 30-30 is hard to shoot past 150 due to bullet drop. Heavy rilfe loads aren't the best for home defense.

Lycanjustfittingthebillthrope

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Since he was looking a HD and deer hunting weapon, the shotgun is really his best choice.

Semi's are a no-no for deer.....even shotguns. Turkey is the only big game exception. And ....as he was considering a 9mm, the use of slugs is a big upgrade. A smoothbore slug barrel is short, cheap and can dust deer out to 150 yards with good ammo. With buckshot it is perfect for home defense.

Another option would be a short lever or pump action, but your typical 30-30 is hard to shoot past 150 due to bullet drop. Heavy rilfe loads aren't the best for home defense.

Lycanjustfittingthebillthrope

OOp's. I agree no semi shotguns for deer. I think 150yd slug kill with any shotgun is a stretch. It's probably technically possible, but not practicle compared to a 30-30. 150yds with standard 30-30 ammo is cake.

FYI: Hornady lever revolution ammo, through my personnel experience, is an easy 200-250 yd humane kill in 30-30. it's truly amazing.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

FYI: Hornady lever revolution ammo, through my personnel experience, is an easy 200-250 yd humane kill in 30-30. it's truly amazing.
    But, certainly not as optimum as a shotty for home defense. A decent pump action shotty will also be cheaper/closer to the Hi-Point in cost.

If a gun has to do double duty, I'd rather give up the extra yardage in deer hunting than to give up performance against a threat. But in the end, it's personal preference.....

Lycanandmydeergunisa7mmSTWthrope

a short barreled marlin in 357 would make a handy carbine for home defense if a non semi auto carbine was what you were looking for , and at the same time would be a good rifle for short range deer hunting , the best ammo would differ in each situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast