Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Powder Baffle?

(Lawrence County)

Default Powder Baffle?

I was reading up on the new press I bought Lee Pr0 1000, picking it up on May 1st.

Anyway one of the reviews said to add a powder baffle to improve charge accuracy / consistency. One guy said a 2" x 1/2" fender washer works well.

My question is, what exactly does it do to improve charge accuracy / consistency? (how does it work?)

BTW I bought this press for the price, I use Lee stuff, I like my Lee stuff, and I don't need to be convinced to buy anything that does the same job for more money.
    Unless of course you're paying half.

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Powder Baffle?

What it does is help maintain a constant pressure on the powder thus constant density. As the powder level decreases in the hopper you get less pressure at the bottom. the baffle makes it more even by supporting some of the weight. Not all powders are affected the same. I bought RCBS baffles and tweaked them to fit the lee hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post
    I was reading up on the new press I bought Lee Pr0 1000, picking it up on May 1st.

Anyway one of the reviews said to add a powder baffle to improve charge accuracy / consistency. One guy said a 2" x 1/2" fender washer works well.

My question is, what exactly does it do to improve charge accuracy / consistency? (how does it work?)

BTW I bought this press for the price, I use Lee stuff, I like my Lee stuff, and I don't need to be convinced to buy anything that does the same job for more money.
    Unless of course you're paying half.
    USNRET '61-'81

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Powder Baffle?

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    What it does is help maintain a constant pressure on the powder thus constant density. As the powder level decreases in the hopper you get less pressure at the bottom. the baffle makes it more even by supporting some of the weight. Not all powders are affected the same. I bought RCBS baffles and tweaked them to fit the lee hopper.
    Exactly so.

This becomes more important as the height of your powder reservoir lengthens (makes more depth, equals more weight/pressure) If you look inside the LEE Accudisk powder measure, you will see a little shroud over the opening from the hopper to the disc - a built in "baffle".

Good idea, regardless of measure, and many of the large rifle-powder measures do not come standard with it.

Flash