Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

(Lehigh County)

Default Is it me?

M&P .357 sig. I also have a .40S&W barrel for the gun.

If I shoot the 40, my groups are good and roughly in line will the target at 10Yds
    If I shoot the 357 sig barrel, my groups are still pretty good (3" at 10yds) however they are at 6 O clock by around 7" !
    tried three different loads, from winchester and georgia arms, all shoot about the same, low low low

If it were trigger related(me) I'd expect to see the grouping being pretty poor, But I shot close to 200 rnds tonight, they all grouped low(not low and left or right, but just low).
    The gun was bought as a 357 sig, so I assume it's setup properly for that round.

Is it possible the front sight is wrong?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by vapochilled View Post
    M&P .357 sig. I also have a .40S&W barrel for the gun.

If I shoot the 40, my groups are good and roughly in line will the target at 10Yds
    If I shoot the 357 sig barrel, my groups are still pretty good (3" at 10yds) however they are at 6 O clock by around 7" !
    tried three different loads, from winchester and georgia arms, all shoot about the same, low low low

If it were trigger related(me) I'd expect to see the grouping being pretty poor, But I shot close to 200 rnds tonight, they all grouped low(not low and left or right, but just low).
    The gun was bought as a 357 sig, so I assume it's setup properly for that round.

Is it possible the front sight is wrong?
    could be the sight. Could be that specific barrel, or you could just shoot the .40 better. .357 sig is snottier. maybe you're over anticipating the recoil. readjust your grip and concentrate with each shot.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    could be the sight. Could be that specific barrel, or you could just shoot the .40 better. .357 sig is snottier. maybe you're over anticipating the recoil. readjust your grip and concentrate with each shot.
    Would have been my answer.

To add to that, maybe try letting a buddy shoot it, see if he has the same problem.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Yeah adjust your sights, Remember this : Light bullets hit low , heavy bullets hit high.

Light bullets hit low because they leave the barrel quicker.

That is why SIG equip their .357 and .40 cal. guns with different sights = #6 front #8 rear for .40 #8 and #8 for .357. That Flat shooting .357 will always shoot low in a .40 Gun. Smith and and Wesson should have warned you about this when you bought the Barrel.

Where's that wheel of errors when I need it!?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post

lol

S&W have the same sights on both the 357 and the 40, discovered that info today.
    Will try again maybe Wednesday night, if there's someone there, I'll have them try it also.
    "could" be a flinch, it does have a hell of a bark when it goes bang!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    http://www.is-lan.com/challenge/imag...Correction.pdf

For what it's worth I have a .357 sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 S&W Sig P229 and they're all accurate in conjunction with the sights.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; May 17th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

(Lehigh County)

is it me?

Well yes it seems it is,lol
    Hit the range again tonight, and this time had help!
    Ken at the Shimersville(sp) range was there alone and we spent a good hour looking at "me".
    First up I gave hime a clip with 10 in and said "have at it"
    The first 7 were all within an inch or so of the bull at ten yards.
    His comment "that thing bites like an angry dog"

So I start to shoot and I'm striking a good 10" low!! "relax, let the gun shoot"

slowly over the course of a 100 rounds, I get closer but no way close enough.
    Anyone else ever shot 357sig and had this?
    I can shoot the SR9 out to 25yds with some confidence, even the 40sw at 10 yards is looking fine, but this round is killing me.
    If there is anyone in the area that shoots a Sig P226 in 357sig, I'd love to try it, maybe I need a heavier gun for this round?
    It clearly is trigger control, but I can't enjoy a gun that makes me concentrate like this. Clearly the gun is upto the job, as demonstrated tonight lol, but I'm not sure I've got what it takes<sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yeah adjust your sights, Remember this : Light bullets hit low , heavy bullets hit high.

Light bullets hit low because they leave the barrel quicker.

That is why SIG equip their .357 and .40 cal. guns with different sights = #6 front #8 rear for .40 #8 and #8 for .357. That Flat shooting .357 will always shoot low in a .40 Gun. Smith and and Wesson should have warned you about this when you bought the Barrel.
    my experience has been to the opposite of this. I bought an Glock 27 and later put in a .357Sig barrel and the sights are spot on for me. I have also found the recoil energy of the .357 to be a bit lower than the .40. I like the round enough that I bought a G-32 as well.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

(Monroe County)

OP, you do not need another gun you need the right sights.
    There is no way a 125 grain bullet traveling at 1300+ fps and a 180 or 165 grain bullet traveling at 960- 1100 fps will have the same impact point, physics doesnt work that way.

If you casually shoot off hand at the range you might not notice or it will not bother you, but the difference in trajectory is inherently there as you are obviously experiencing.

I own Six SIGS and i can tell you that if you buy a barrel from SIG they will include a notice in the packaging reminding you of this, apparently Smith & Wesson doesnt care.

FRosty , I have a Glock 32 too , and i can tell you that if you go to any sight company to buy sights for Glocks , they list the ones for the 32 differently under a separate catalog number for this very reason , they are regulated for the flat shooting .357 sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast