Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Father arrested after killing motorcycle stalker

This was a bad decision on the father's part. He should have told the kids to meet him at the nearest police station.

http://www.macon.com/149/story/279248.html

BOGART, Ga. --
    A man is facing a murder charge after authorities say he shot and killed a motorcyclist who followed his daughters home from a department store.

Richard Harold Gear, 45, claimed he was acting in self-defense when he shot Bryan Joseph Mough around 6:45 p.m. Monday as Mough drove his motorcycle past Gear's house, Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said.

The daughters, ages 17 and 19, had called their father on a cell phone to tell him they were being followed, Berry said. As they arrived home, Gear was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol, Berry said.

Mough, 21, drove past the house, turned around and made another pass. Gear fired his .40-caliber semiautomatic gun two or three times, hitting Mough once in the back, Berry said.

Gear called 911 after the shooting, as did neighbors, and sheriff's deputies arrested Gear on a murder charge, Berry said.

"He made an unspecified claim of self-defense," Berry said.

Mough was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Gear's daughters and Mough apparently left the parking lot of a Target in nearby Athens around the same time Monday evening, Berry said. Tempers flared as the drivers headed west toward Bogart.

Gear's daughters told investigators Mough cut them off, they made obscene gestures at him and Mough ran into their car at one point, Sheriff Berry said.

"There is evidence of a collision between Mough's motorcycle and the vehicle operated by Gear's daughters," Berry said, adding authorities do not yet know who initiated contact.

"We've got questions about how it happened," he said.

Investigators went to Target for witnesses and looked at surveillance videos but found nothing to indicate Mough met the girls inside the store or in the parking lot, Berry said.
    Information from: Athens Banner-Herald, http://www.onlineathens.com

Having the kids drive home allowed the stalker to know where they live which may have prompted the father to bust some caps on the stalker.
    Last edited by reels18; February 27th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Father arrested after killing motorcycle stalker

Maybe he followed them home hoping to get insurance information because the driver of the car hit his motorcycle.

There isn't enough information here yet.

Last I knew, shooting someone in the back because they followed you home is not justified. The shooter is going to jail for a long time.

The father should have been outside with a video camera to get as much info about the guy as possible. Then he calls the police. Or better yet. Call the police after his daughter's called him and hopefully have the police at his home when they get there.
    Μολὼν λάβε

hopefully he has a good life behind bars. He coulda done about a million other things to resolve this issue safely and without getting a new set of bracelets and a bufu buddy named bubba. They where in their car he was on a motorcycle so their life wasnt in immediate danger at anytime IMO especially not when he was riding away from the house. Call 911 and tell them your driving to the PD and you want officers there and hopefully they have a car close by who will get to you before you even get to the station. Dont shoot a guy in the back driving passed your f*cking house, to many people die over stupid road rage incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Maybe he followed them home hoping to get insurance information because the driver of the car hit his motorcycle.
    That would be my guess at this point.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lawrence County)

Wow, pretty hard to justify those actions. I'm all for protecting your family but it didn't seem like he did anything threatening, like others have said he may have just wanted the insurance information.

(Susquehanna County)

The girls may have told him a biker was following them home and he got scared. But no reason in the world to shot him in the back.

At least he'll never carry again and his family will be unprotected

The girls could have called 911 and ask them to meet them at their house.

Do they let you take KY Jell into jail ?

(Venango County)

As a motorcyclist and long distance commuter, my experiences make me believe the following scenario:

Teenagers high on wielding a ton of sheet metal either accidentally or purposefully cut-off or even struck the motorcycle and laughed about it. I see similar incidents all the time.

He probably was angry and wanted to get their address and report to police or talk to the parents.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    As a motorcyclist and long distance commuter, my experiences make me believe the following scenario:

Teenagers high on wielding a ton of sheet metal either accidentally or purposefully cut-off or even struck the motorcycle and laughed about it. I see similar incidents all the time.

He probably was angry and wanted to get their address and report to police or talk to the parents.
    It wouldn't surprise me if he let fly with some language and gestures too.

We'll never hear his side of this story though. I feel bad for his family. All the way around this story sucks.
    Μολὼν λάβε