Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Noise exposure off the firing line

I've been wondering for some time about the need for hearing protection off the firing line. Many indoor ranges have a waiting area, classroom, or store adjacent to the range.

Most places I have been to have a system of double doors between the range and the outside world, presumably for the purpose of reducing noise. However, I've noticed in more than one place that this system is either not enforced, or is just badly designed - for example, there is no glass pane in the inner door so it's impossible to see whether the outer door is open.

I've been doing some Googling on this issue, and I found an interesting paper on this page:

Noise Exposure Assessment and Abatement Strategies at an Indoor Firing Range

Exposure to hazardous impulse noise is common during the firing of weapons at indoor firing ranges. The aims of this study were to characterize the impulse noise environment at a law enforcement firing range; document the insufficiencies found at the range from a health and safety standpoint; and provide noise abatement recommendations to reduce the overall health hazard to the auditory system.
    The authors found dangerous levels of noise close to the firing line at the range they studied.

I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else has opinions about this. I occasionally see ROs wearing plugs when working next to the range entrance, but I rarely see other shooters putting ear protection on when waiting in line.

I tend to the paranoid side so I would wear protection everywhere but I don't like to be that guy who talks loudly in the shop and makes everyone repeat everything because he's still got his plugs in. But then I also don't want to be that guy who talks loudly all the time because he didn't take care of his hearing.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Noise exposure off the firing line

My solution to the problem of range noise is electronic muffs
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    My solution to the problem of range noise is electronic muffs
    Couldn't agree more. You can hear normal volume sounds (speech) with no issue, but when something loud happens (gun fire) they kick in and block it out. They're excellent.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I tend to the paranoid side so I would wear protection everywhere but I don't like to be that guy who talks loudly in the shop and makes everyone repeat everything because he's still got his plugs in. But then I also don't want to be that guy who talks loudly all the time because he didn't take care of his hearing.
    Remember--just because you have hearing protection in/on, doesn't mean other people can't hear you. You don't need to yell or speak loudly.

In the military, the two things they beat into your head are ear and eye protection. I'm very conscious of both.

Also, with earplugs in, people don't have to speak up for me to hear them. I do have to pay attention to them a little more, but they're designed to block loud noises, but people talking can still be heard. Then again, I have good hearing.

(Dauphin County)

Smile Re: Noise exposure off the firing line

Check out www.hearingprotectionpro.com for all your hearing protection needs. You will find a product line of Walker Game Ear.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    Also, with earplugs in, people don't have to speak up for me to hear them. I do have to pay attention to them a little more, but they're designed to block loud noises, but people talking can still be heard. Then again, I have good hearing.
    Are they supposed to wear earplugs during combat?

I was at CMP and shot my AK without earplugs (forgot to put them in after the break) and DAMN, I couldn't hear anything afterwards.
    Last edited by PeaceAndLove; June 25th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.