Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default What are my options for a Rifle/Pistol?

I guess this might fit in Pistol, Rifle, or Class III section, so MODs, move if you don't like it here.

I am thinking that I would like to buy a pistol/rifle, that I can later SBR and add a stock. I am not sure of my options for this.

What I mean (incase someone doesn't understand) is that I know the GSG5 Pistol will accept the MP5 stock (not sure of the details, but I saw pictures somewhere). Also the AK pistols can have the rear smooth trunion replaced with one that will mount a stock.

Like I said, I want to be able to SBR it later.

I have decided to go this route, instead of buying a full size rifle and having the barrel cut because the stock swap I can do myself, and I am guessing it would be cheaper than having the barrel cut, crowned and the gas sytem messed with, since the pistol would already have the gas system taken care of.

What are my options for a Rifle/Pistol that are capable of adding a stock easily later?

At this point I am indifferent as to rifle caliber or pistol caliber.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What are my options for a Rifle/Pistol?

GSG-5 makes a retractable stock for their gun, but a real MP5 stock will not fit.
    I have heard that the AK stocks are a PITA to put on a Pistol, but I don't really know that for sure.

The SIG556 pistol is pretty bad ass, but the parts are not compatible with standard AR's. So you are stuck with one barrel length and one caliber.

I would go with an AR pistol, because it would be very simple to change the upper to a different barrel length and caliber.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; June 24th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

You have a pretty wide range

1. AR pistol
    2. Sig 556 pistol
    3. AK pistol
    4. GSG(s)
    5. MP5s and clones

The easiest would probably the AR pistol. All you really have to do is buy a new stock assembly.

With the AK ... you can have it built as a sbr then get a fake suppressor or flash hider pinned to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

you can buy the following:

SIG 556 pistol and add stock when you get tax stamp

Olympic OA93 pistol upper and AR15 lower receiver

AK47 pistol but you'll have to swap out the rear trunion and will be limited to a straight stock.

AK47 Krink style rifle with fake suppressor amd 9" barrel. Once you receiver ATF stamp you simple remove the fake can.

You can buy any AR15 lower and a upper receiver in any barrel length you want. (model 1 sales and other companies have them.

You can buy a fal lower receiver and short barreled upper from DSA

Vector ARMS V53/51/94 pistols, get tax stamp and simply buy the collapsable stock

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    AK47 pistol but you'll have to swap out the rear trunion and will be limited to a straight stock.
    If your swapping out the rear trunnion ... why can't you put a underfolder trunnion on there? People turn straight stock MAK90s into underfolders all the time, mainly because they don't like the slant cut receiver.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    If your swapping out the rear trunnion ... why can't you put a underfolder trunnion on there? People turn straight stock MAK90s into underfolders all the time, mainly because they don't like the slant cut receiver.
    i suppose you could add a underfolding stock but it would require you to drill/cut additional holes in the receiver to accomodate the folding mechanism. if the additional holes are not aligned properly with the trunion you've just ruined the receiver. most guys that build underfolders start with a receiver that already has all the holes pre-drilled.

(Philadelphia County)

Personally, I find a 22lr SBR a waste. What are you really going to use it for and will it be worth the SBR tax stamp and effort? That means an GSG5 is out, for me anyway, although I have heard rumors of a 9mm version, but I haven't read that anywhere. I know you are indifference with the caliber, but I think if it's going to be a "rifle", it should be capable of a rifle so the minimum would be .223/5.56.

I have both the SIG P556 and 3 AK rifles. I shoot the AK's, but I am not really in love with them. They may be the toughest and most reliable in roughest combat condition, but they just don't have that "classy" feel to them. I love the P556 because it's a cool little thing, but just about the only thing common about it is the 5.56 caliber and the magazine...with the price tag of $1600 - $1800.

MP5 clones? They are not really widely available. At 9mm, they are no .223/5.56. I guess it comes down to application and use. There aren't that many customization option either.

Well, that leaves us with the AR pistol. I cannot stretch the customizability of the AR platform enough. The few things you can customize on the P556 are the stock, flash hider, and the forearm and the options for those are severely limited as well as expensive. Just search for AR15 stock on Google Images and see the huge variety of options compared to the P556. A small example, but same goes for handguards, grips, trigger, BUIS, etc...not to mention the variety of uppers, lowers, and barrel length. The list goes on. Go with an AR pistol, you will not regret it.

Al

(Lancaster County)

I don't know how short you're looking to go for the barrel length in the future but another really simple option might be an AMD-65 AK variant. If you aren't familiar with the design, it was the Hungarian AK design used for troops in tanks. It has a wire folding stock, regular ak action, an integral forward grip, and a bad-ass looking heat shield over the gas tube instead of a top handguard. They also had a removable (approximately) 4 inch long muzzle brake.

I could be wrong on this, so do some double checking, but my understanding is this:

The AMD-65 barrels are too short to be legal as long guns, they would normally be SBR's because with the muzzle brake removed the barrel is well under the legal limit. All of them that you see for sale currently, have the brake welded on to give the gun enough length to be considered a non SBR rifle.

Easier than changing your trunnion, replacing various AR parts, or shortening a barrel--all you'd really need to do is cut through the spot welds on the muzzle brake, unscrew it, and replace it with a little slant brake or something of similar size--boom--you'd have an SBR.

Like I said, I could be wrong here, or the barrel may still not be as short as you'd like, but if it would be the right length and an AK is acceptable, this would definitely be you're simplest option by far.

(Philadelphia County)

While unless I have an LLC or trust to be able to bypass the CLEO in Philly for an SBR, this would be a dream:

My newly built AR pistol with my in progress carbine complete lower (ACE SOCOM stock on Sun Devil lower)

If I were to SBR, it would look like this (sorry, I can only stack; otherwise, it would be illegal).

Al

(Allegheny County)

Very nice Al ... You should look into doing an LLC and slap a stock on that thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast