Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AR-15 failing to feed/damaging rounds

I have a olympic arms AR-15 in .223 that has until this point performed flawlessly on 1000+ rounds.

I decided to clean it today since its been a few times at the range since I did a good cleaning. I broke down all parts of the rifle other than the trigger group and did a good cleaning/lube on them. I also did as much cleaning/lube as possible on the trigger group without tearing it down.

Upon reassembly, I attempted to cycle a few rounds thru it to see if it would function properly. Out of say 5 attempts, 3 times it will fail to feed. What it does is feed the round until it comes to the allignment teeth before the chamber. The round sticks in between these teeth, and won't go farther. Pulling the charging handle and letting it snap forward again lets it feed.

Looking at the bullets, there are deep v shaped scratches in them, like they are getting excessive downward force on them when going thru these teeth. I am at a loss, i don't see anything wrong/dirty. After cycling 10 or so rounds thru the rifle (with it jamming) there is copper everywhere as the teeth are scraping material off the bullet as it enters. Where should I start looking here?

Edit: I have not attempted to fire it and see if the problem persists on live shooting, as I would have to go to the range to do so, but even so I am a bit scared to think of damaged bullets going down the barrel?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: AR-15 failing to feed/damaging rounds

It sounds like you are trying to feed the rounds slowly. The AR is designed to feed the rounds suddenly, you are not supposed to ride the charging handle.

Otherwise, most likely explanation is a bad magazine. Second could be bad feed ramps (the "teeth" you speak of) I guess.

I don't know much about Oly's and issues with various ARs because I have two Colts.

I am pulling the handle all the way back and letting it slam forward. I have tried 2 differen't clips so far that I had no issues with before.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by stadc View Post
    I am pulling the handle all the way back and letting it slam forward. I have tried 2 differen't mags so far that I had no issues with before.
    fixed it for you. If I didn't do it, someone will.

I wish I could help ... my thoughts were the same as ungawa (mag issue). Someone with more experience should be along soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

I obviously don't know all the correct terms, I just like to shoot

The thing thats messing with me is it worked perfectly 2 weeks ago when I shot it last, now its doing this. Even if it will fire and load correctly when actually firing, its still going to be (I think) damaging the bullet, which can't be good for accuracy.

(Bucks County)

I think four things.

#1: I think the teeth are the Locking lugs, there should be matching ones on the bolt.

#2: I think your riding the charging handle.

#3: I think your thinking too much.

#4 I think you should go shoot it.

When the bolt forces the round forwards at the correct speed, the ass end of the case is forced out of the mag by the round below it and jumps in line with the barrel right as the bullet enters the lug area and goes neatly into the chamber.

If you try to watch it happen or do this slowly it F's up every time.

Pull the charging handle back all the way and let it fly, it should chamber a round every time.

Last edited by RaisedByWolves; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Ok, went and fired it at the local levee.

Charged it by pulling it all the way back and letting it slam forward, didn't feed. Pulled it back again, and let it slam and it finished loading it.

I then fired 20+ rounds in a row at max speed, and it fired every one. brought it back home, loaded the mag again, and it cycled a few in a row manually and then failed a few.

I dunno, maybe I am just noticing something since I just cleaned it/lubed etc. It did occasionally fail to load before, but I don't remember it doing this every time.

I will take it to the range later this week (end) and make sure its still accurate, but I have a feeling it is. Probably just me overthinking things.

Thanks for the help btw, thought I messed up my AR

Edit: pulled it apart again, did a cursory cleaning, and it loads every time now. Never saw any dirt etc, but musta knocked something loose with the firing.
    Last edited by stadc; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:30 PM.

(Monroe County)

Dont worry about it , all rounds get scratched up going into the chamber, you just didnt noticed it before because - you fired them.
    The gun is ok as you proved yourself at the levee.

!911 Pistols do that a lot too.

Nymam

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by stadc View Post
    Edit: pulled it apart again, did a cursory cleaning, and it loads every time now. Never saw any dirt etc, but musta knocked something loose with the firing.
    That was going to be my suggestion, try a fresh clean and lube job, making sure to get everything.

(Allegheny County)

FYI,
    Depending on your ejector spring tension, it's not uncommon to have 2 parallel scratches on a head if you manually cycle the round without firing it. The sideways pressure from the ejector spring will drag the bullet head across the locking lugs on extraction. You also may notice similar scratches on spent casing necks. BTW, don't ever lube your mags!
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".