Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Reloading 308

Default Reloading 308

I have a Savage 99 in 308 I知 looking to reload for and I知 not sure how to approach it. Obviously not a bolt action so it does not have the strength of one but should I be loading service rifle loads or just regular old 308 loads. I intend to use imr4895 and Hornady 150gr sp bullets. I致e mainly shot 150gr core lokts out of it from factory but my concern is from all the data available there are bigger variants than I am feeling fuzzy about. Hodgdon online has 47.6 as max with nos bt boolit and Hornady app shows 46.4 as max. I知 creating a hunting load but started at 44 went to 46 in .5 increments. Should I back it down since places like Speer show 45 max

Default Re: Reloading 308

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I have a Savage 99 in 308 I*m looking to reload for and I*m not sure how to approach it. Obviously not a bolt action so it does not have the strength of one but should I be loading service rifle loads or just regular old 308 loads. I intend to use imr4895 and Hornady 150gr sp bullets. I*ve mainly shot 150gr core lokts out of it from factory but my concern is from all the data available there are bigger variants than I am feeling fuzzy about. Hodgdon online has 47.6 as max with nos bt boolit and Hornady app shows 46.4 as max. I*m creating a hunting load but started at 44 went to 46 in .5 increments. Should I back it down since places like Speer show 45 max
    Load as normal, service loads are for op-rods on M1 Garands.

Get as many load data opinions as you can (at least 3) and always start low and work
    Up as the case pressures go too high or accuracy suffers. Make sure all the load data is
    Apples to apples. Different primers, COALs, bullet type, etc can affect pressures.

Testing is half the fun, have at it
    SigGendered

(Bucks County)

A Savage 99 in good condition can take any full powered .308 load. If you found an exact published load for Imr4895 and Hornady 150gr sp bullets use it. When substituting other styles of bullets the OAL and max charge can vary so that is why you always start low and watch for pressure signs. A lot of speer loads group together 5-10 different bullets and publish one max load for all of them. Unfortunately this doesn't work so they end up publishing the lowest load for the highest pressure bullet and the other bullets listed are way below their potential.

I would use the Hornady data see if there are any pressure signs. Then try to borrow a chronograph. Its good to have a reality check and if your "max" loads are way under the published velocity think about trying the Hodgdon max.

In a 99 action the greater the pressure then the more you will get brass stretching above the case head. Neck only sizing will help some but not prevent it.

Being as animals are real easy to kill the .308 factory type loads are generally over kill and overly destructive even if they are "small bore". So if you don't have an over abundance of brass then you can load it down some to make it last. And by the way, besides being relatively easy to find, another reason .308 is a good cartridge to have around is because you can make your brass out of 7-08's, .270 Winchester or 30-06, lotsa other stuff.

For target shooting and even for deer hunting a Lee 170 grain flat point mold is surely worth having around.
    There's much to be said for being able to make your own bullets with wheel weights, an old sauce pan and a spoon.