Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Which model for HD and small stature?

Hey everyone, I am looking into a shotgun for home defense and shooting clays. Problem is, I'm barely 5'4" and most 12 gauges I have held are rather bulky and hard to handle.

Is a 20 gauge with a short barrel suitable for home defense and will it also suffice for a fun time shooting clays? Should I look for a lightweight 12 gauge instead?

Finally, should I just pick up a standard Mossberg or Remington at a local sporting goods store and modify later, or can I find something closer to what I want locally?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Which model for HD and small stature?

if i were that size i would probably go with a 20g if your going to use it for both HD and clays i wouldnt go shorter than a 20" barrel, to keep some accuracy for the clays
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Pump, or auto?

In either case, most makes/models offer interchangeable barrels. Have an 18" for HD, then install a 20" or 22" for competition.

For small folks, a 20 gauge is a better bet. Heck, a 28 gauge (for shotguns made for that small gauge, not a 20 gauge frame with 28 gauge barrels!) might even be the ticket. My 5'1' spouse has a 28 gauge Ruger Blue Label.

I don't think that a lightweight 12 guage would be the answer, as the recoil will be even more than a conventional 12 gauge.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Northampton County)

Thanks guys, hadn't thought about the recoil issue with a lightweight 12! I'd be looking for a pump, as I would imagine a uber-reliable autoloader would be pretty expensive. Any suggestions? I see that Dick's has the 870 for a great price, I could get that and a short barrel...

You can't go far wrong with the Remington. I personally prefer the Mossberg's tang safety.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Bedford County)

Most of the women I shoot sporting clays with are 5' plus and 90lbs plus and all of them are using 12 gauge guns. Being light or being short is no reason to down grade to a smaller gauge/caliber. That makes almost as much sense as the folks that recommed a .38 snubby to a woman because she might not be smart enough to operate the semi auto handgun.

If you like a pump, look at the Remington 870 first. IMHO the best pump ever made.

Buy one with a 26" vent rib Rem-Choke barrel for field/clay shooting. Then when funds allow, purchase a 18" barrel for defensive work.

Take it to a local gunsmith that does good work. Have him cut the stock down for you to the correct length of pull and install a quality recoil pad such as the Sims Limbsaver or Kick-eez.

Once you have the gun fitted to you it will feel and shoot like a dream.

I know 100 lb women that shoot O/U 12 gauges with 32" barrels all day and never complain.

Being short or being light dosent mean being weak. Sometimes it's the little dog with the biggest bite.

(Philadelphia County)

The Taurus Judge with it's short barrel and low recoil may just be the ticket for HD for little people.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Luzerne County)

You are going to need the gun fitted to you no matter what you buy, so with that in mind buy wood stock as it can be more appropriately fitted to you which will be even more important with the clays/skeet.

As for gauge. 12, 20, 16, 28, 410... they all have approximately the same velocity (per type of round) the difference is in payload delivered.
    Other considerations include the availability of chokes, accessories, ammo, ammo prices and the gun models themselves.
    12 gauge will give you the most options.
    The main thing you will probably be concerned with is recoil. Target 12ga loads should be no problem, as others have said, I've seen 90lb women shooting 12ga and had no issue with target loads.
    If you shoot high brass field loads or SD loads your recoil then goes up. Only you will be able to tell if you are comfortable with it or not. I would think that you would have no problem, especially after getting used to it assuming proper form is used etc.

I would attempt to try some before I bought.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

Thanks for all the help guys. I got out to the range with a friends 12ga Maverick and shot about 50 shells. Turns out recoil etc wasn't anywhere as bad as I had expected. However, the ergonomics are another story. I also went to Dicks, looked at a couple 500s and 870s. All very nice guns, prices can't be beat. I also really liked the Mossberg Mariner, probably useless for skeet. I think I will probably end up with a 500 and get it fitted.

Finally, can anyone point me to an easy to understand guide to chokes, barrels, vents etc?

Thanks all, the knowledge on the board is astounding!

(Lancaster County)

Chokes.........
    http://www.shotgunworks.com/content....un_Choke_Types

Mossberg makes a 500 Bantam Youth model in 12 ga.....
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

Click on specifications and you can see all the different youth models they make. If it fits properly it may save you from stock mods and you can use that money for an 18" barrel for HD and a couple of extra choke tubes. Many shops should carry a youth model, but probably in 20 ga. If you like the fit they can order you a 12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast