Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: exception to the 4473 must do it yourself rule?

I would question a blind guy buying a scoped rifle for himself, but I understand a handgun. Attackers would fear a blind guy with a handgun, more than they'd fear one with a knife.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Watching Misha, who is a blind FFL who produces historical information on mostly military-type guns, the discussion posted on FFL unable and unwilling to assist an applicant who cannot read and write English came to mind. What about assisting a blind purchaser?
    I think they probably follow the same rules that DMV does for blind people obtaining drivers licenses.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Joking aside, I have an extended family member who is blind and elderly, and owns. Legally blind but not 100%, maybe 75%. To be fair I think he owned it before he went blind. He lives in an area where he's very unlikely to get police response in time if needed, but also unlikely to hit neighbors with stray fire. Being able to at least put a warning shot out is probably his best bet if something bad does go down.
    So.....if you visit him, you'd better not sneak in and surprise him, I'm guessin.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    why would a blind person buy a gun?
    We had a long, heated thread on this topic years back where plenty of people thought that a blind person has no right to enjoy the second amendment the way you and I do.

Just because you are blind does not mean that you are going to start shooting wildly without knowing where you are shooting.
    That mentality is not much different than antis who think that a person who buys a gun will just start shooting people out of the blue.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    We had a long, heated thread on this topic years back where plenty of people thought that a blind person has no right to enjoy the second amendment the way you and I do.

Just because you are blind does not mean that you are going to start shooting wildly without knowing where you are shooting.
    That mentality is not much different than antis who think that a person who buys a gun will just start shooting people out of the blue.
    You are absolutely correct.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I would question a blind guy buying a scoped rifle for himself, but I understand a handgun. Attackers would fear a blind guy with a handgun, more than they'd fear one with a knife.

Fear is the only darkness - Master Po
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Just because someone owns guns doesn't mean they will shoot them. Maybe they collect military rifles.

However I think a revolver is the best blind gun. If someone's on top of you just contact shoot them. No worries about an out of battery malfunction. Blind revolver reloads however are much slower than an autoloader.

(Centre County)

Also being "blind" doesn't mean that you can't see anything. I know people who, without glasses or contact lenses, are LEGALLY blind if they do not have their corrective lenses on. Put their lenses on and they can see quite fine. One more thing, even if the person can't see, most times the other senses will make up for the loss of another. A blind person in a SD situation at home could very well be at an advantage. They know exactly where all the furniture/fixtures are and in a dark room, I would venture to say they could defend themselves quite handily with a firearm.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sawgunner73 View Post
    The directions on the 4473 allow for assistance in filling out the form with the exception of the signature. It must be witnessed by two persons, and the seller cannot be the one to assist.
    The transferee/buyer must personally complete Section A of this form and certify
    (sign) that the answers are true, correct, and complete. However, if the transferee/
    buyer is unable to read and/or write, the answers (other than the signature) may be
    completed by another person, excluding the transferor/seller. Two persons (other
    than the transferor/seller) must then sign as witnesses to the transferee's/buyer's
    answers and signature/certification in question 14.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12