Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I Do

(Crawford County)

Default What can I Do

I have a serious question, I had a friend living with me who had purchased hand guns from a co worker and never had them registered. I do not know the co worker, and I have not seen my former friend in 3 years. When he left I asked about the guns (2-45 ACPs, Glock 23 .40, Ruger GP100, and a .22 revolver), he said for me keep them as payment until he could come up with the money he owed me (kind like a pawn deal). However he never showed back up. Now my question is can some how get them registered to my self? What are some of the legal actions can I do? How do I go about seeing if they are registered? And if the co worker lived out of stated? These are just the main issues I dont unterstand or cannot find answers for myself.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: What can I Do

Ok, there is a lot here... Too much to post from
    My phone but others will chime in soon.

Basically, there is no registration in PA, BUT you can't sell firearms or give firearms to someone (friends) without transferring them legally through an FFL or Sheriff.

You are illegally in possession of those firearms and I wouldn't doubt your friend illegally acquired them from his coworker too.

Might want to delete your post
    Last edited by BimmerJon; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

Well, i might be able to help you out of this little predicament Dad! You could just give them to me, your devoted son, and I'll take care of them and make sure they get passed on to your 'grandchildren' when the time comes. Ok?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Well, i might be able to help you out of this little predicament Dad! You could just give them to me, your devoted son, and I'll take care of them and make sure they get passed on to your 'grandchildren' when the time comes. Ok?
    Axi-baby... My loving spouse, as we are in a loving, committed marriage, as your spouse, please feel free to give me said guns for our anniversary

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: What can I Do

Call the BTAFE they can give the info you need, or your County Sheriff's Office

I think technically they are abandoned property, held in collateral for debts owed, the owner never returned to claim his property and settle his outstanding debts. I would call the Sheriff tell him the predicament and ask if you can legally transfer these into your name so that you can sell them for recompensation. Do NOT allow them to be taken from you without a receipt by the sheriffs department, as these are your property now. Then take them to a FFL dealer and transfer them explaining where and why they came into your ownership. Then post those bad boys in the forums classifieds.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy2530 View Post
    I have a serious question, I had a friend living with me who had purchased hand guns from a co worker and never had them registered.
    Well, there is no gun registration in PA. Now, this probably means that you do not know if the guns were correctly transferred by the seller to your friend. Did your friend just give the co-worker money and the guns were given to him? Did your friend go with the co-worker to a FFL and do any paperwork? Is there any paperwork that may still be with the guns. If the guns are in boxes check everywhere in the containers to see if there is anything at all. Now if your friend gave his co-worker money and the co-worker just handed him the guns, the co-worker broke the law and if your friend knew that they had to go through certain steps for him to own the guns then he was an accomplice in the illegal transfer. However, IIRC, If he did not know that you had to do this, then only the coworker performed the illegal act. That said, I believe the guns still could have be taken from him as evidence if the co-worker was prosecuted for this act(s).

I do not know the co worker, and I have not seen my former friend in 3 years. When he left I asked about the guns (2-45 ACPs, Glock 23 .40, Ruger GP100, and a .22 revolver), he said for me keep them as payment until he could come up with the money he owed me (kind like a pawn deal).
    If you have your LTCF then it may be (by a long shot) construed as a loan, however you would need to get into the fine points of the law concerning the loaning of guns, etc. and IANAL.

However he never showed back up. Now my question is can some how get them registered to my self? What are some of the legal actions can I do?
    First off, I would not say a thing at his time to any LEO, be it the BATFE, Sheriff, on anyone else. The best thing you can do is get a lawyer that is versed in BOTH gun law and abandoned property law.

How do I go about seeing if they are registered? And if the co worker lived out of stated? These are just the main issues I dont unterstand or cannot find answers for myself.
    You really can't because there is no registration in PA. Now if you said how do I find out if they had been transferred legally in the first place, you can't; unless you can track down the coworker or your friend to get the answers. This is why I advise getting a lawyer. The guns in question represent a fairly substantial amount of value and the cost of the lawyer may be worth the time and effort.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

This whole situation seems very sketchy. I would not be surprised if they are stolen. Do you have a LTCF? You could then make an argument they were loaned to you.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Chester County)

Holy cow....

As already suggested talk to a lawyer who knows gun laws inside and out.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

Is this the second thread today where someone's asking how to legalize their illegally obtained guns?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast