Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Amtrak stop in Chicago

Ok, I may be taking a trip to Milwaukee to pick up a motorcycle and bring it back to PA. I would like to carry on the way back, the only state I'm not permitted in is IL (unless they are now reciprocal with PA or FL). I've only got about 90 miles of IL to ride through on the trip back so that's not an issue (federal interstate firearms transport protection). I can carry or check the firearm on the train (I believe Amtrak allows either now, with restrictions, correct?), my concern is that all the trains going into Milwaukee have a stop in Chicago. How do I deal with a checked firearm in Chicago station if I have to switch trains?
    I would like to avoid flying if I can, I enjoy traveling and seeing the sites and don't want to hassle with checking a firearm on an aircraft and the TSA and all their BS. If I do fly I'll probably end up flying out of a MD airport so I would then have the issue of getting my firearm to the MD airport. How would one manage transporting a handgun to a MD airport?
    Anyone ever done this.
    Last edited by ray h; September 1st, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Amtrak stop in Chicago

With Amtrak it is just like airlines - checked luggage. You cannot carry it on your person or in carry-on luggage.

As for IL - their laws recently changed. With you being on a motorcycle it might be a little iffy..

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf

Definitions: "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

40(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Since you and/or your gun will not be "within", that may not be helpful. However, if you transport it via FOPA you should be ok. IL does allow unloaded and encased transporting. ...so, you might want to hit a Harley shop before leaving Minnesota and install a set of sidesaddle bags that have a latch/buckle/clasp/zipper/etc.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 1st, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

I'm not too worried about the ride coming back, I can zip through the corner of IL in about an hour so I can just lock it in a saddle bag and I'm good. My main concern was a flight or train station layover in Chicago but I've done a little more research since I posted and it seems case law has shown that airport or train station layovers are incident to the trip so are covered by 926a as is the trip to and from the airport or station if I have to travel through hostile territory to get to the airport or station.
    Is this what others here understand it to say?
    Last edited by ray h; September 1st, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    ...so, you might want to hit a Harley shop before leaving Minnesota and install a set of sidesaddle bags that have a latch/buckle/clasp/zipper/etc.
    Yeah right....like I'm going all the way to WI to buy a Harley and then depend on it getting me back to PA, Hahahahah.....
    I'm actually buying a MotoGuzzi (it already has locking bags) for just a little over the price of HD saddlebags.
    Last edited by ray h; September 1st, 2013 at 01:08 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Wife and I drove to Wisconsin middle of July and I CC'd all the way... just made sure that I didnt have to stop in IL for ANY reason.... only real place I was worried was Ohio as they do not have reciprocity with PA.... wish I could get back for a few days... Where ya picking up your bike ??? Actually in Milwaukee ??? Any way have a safe trip and enjoy your ride back...especially around Chicago........

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    Wife and I drove to Wisconsin middle of July and I CC'd all the way... just made sure that I didnt have to stop in IL for ANY reason.... only real place I was worried was Ohio as they do not have reciprocity with PA.... wish I could get back for a few days... Where ya picking up your bike ??? Actually in Milwaukee ??? Any way have a safe trip and enjoy your ride back...especially around Chicago........
    Thank you,
    I'm covered through OH (FL permit), IL is the only place I can't stop (not that I'd want to stop in or around Chicago anyway).
    I don't know if Im getting the bike yet. I saw it and I like it and it's a good price but I'm still figuring if it's worth travel costs and so forth. I'm also trying to convince my wife that I need another motorcycle, she seemed skeptical, something about "whats wrong with the one you have". I tried telling her there doesn't have to be anything wrong to want another one, all I got was a blank stare.

(Luzerne County)

You need to make sure the train from Chicago to Milwaukee has checked baggage service. Not all do, many short haul trains do not have checked baggage and as previously noted AMTRAK prohibits firearms in carry on. Good luck.

(Franklin County)

False alarm, the motorcycle sold before I could pull the trigger (so to speak)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    You need to make sure the train from Chicago to Milwaukee has checked baggage service. Not all do, many short haul trains do not have checked baggage and as previously noted AMTRAK prohibits firearms in carry on. Good luck.
    I ran it to this problem last year. My wife and I drove our sons pick up and trailer down to Ft. Stewart GA when he returned from overseas and took the train from Savanna back to Lancaster. Had thought about taking a pistol along, till I checked with AMTRAK, could have checked it from Savanna to Phila. but Phila. to Lancaster has no checked baggage service. So you have to check the whole route carefully.