Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am free!!!

(York County)

Smile I am free!!!

I was out in my friend’s field shooting the first gun I have owned this morning. There is a road right next to the field and anyone traveling one it could see what I was doing. A few cars went by and it kind of made me nervous having them watch me but I kept shooting.

Then a cop drove by very slowly and here I am less than 50 yards from him with a loaded handgun shooting. Now I really felt nervous, something just felt wrong about this. After getting a good look at me and what I was doing he drove off. A few minutes later I came to the realization how much the media and who knows what else has influenced me. I haven’t violated any laws or done anything wrong.

I live in Pennsylvania, USA… THE LAND OF THE FREE!!! I now know how it feels… and I love it.

Default Re: I am free!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I was out in my friend’s field shooting the first gun I have owned this morning. There is a road right next to the field and anyone traveling one it could see what I was doing. A few cars went by and it kind of made me nervous having them watch me but I kept shooting.

Then a cop drove by very slowly and here I am less than 50 yards from him with a loaded handgun shooting. Now I really felt nervous, something just felt wrong about this. After getting a good look at me and what I was doing he drove off. A few minutes later I came to the realization how much the media and who knows what else has influenced me. I haven’t violated any laws or done anything wrong.

I live in Pennsylvania, USA… THE LAND OF THE FREE!!! I now know how it feels… and I love it.
    PSST now you need the shirt

Chances are the cop passed by due to people driving by calling 911 in concern. If the cop passed by with out stopping chances are there is no "rule" there about shooting on private land. Highly doubtful tho, most municipalities have A no firearms rules. Cop might have driven off to see if there was any rules in the book about it.
    When I lived in Allison park I asked a cop neighbour of mine if there where any rules about shooting a pellet rifle in the municipal laws.. His answer was where you going to shoot.. Hmm ok there is a berm there naturally caused by your landscape.. Hmm my house is right behind that across the street... DON'T SHOOT MY HOUSE! you should be ok.
    We had a small pellet trap setup with hanging targets in it, had for for hours. No one ever bothered us about it.
    As a general rule, If you are safe about shooting, the Authorities will take a look and drive by like they did there, if not they may ask you to stop.
    Here in Ambridge, I saw a few hunters one day park off to the side near where I live to shoot at a mountain side, Cop car pulled up just as I was driving by to go to the store, on my way back, Cop car was still there, Police officer had the rifle and was shooting the targets setup!
    If you can't beat them, join them!
    Might be a good Idea to ask the local Police if you can do this tho, when they come to stop you from shooting, it really sucks.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    PSST now you need the shirt ...

...Might be a good Idea to ask the local Police if you can do this tho, when they come to stop you from shooting, it really sucks.
    I just got the shirt ...

Yes I agree I should ask the local Police about it. I guess the best way is to just go down to the station...

(Fulton County)

are you really free though

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    lol! good question

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    "You shouldn't a done that, he's just a boy."
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Jefferson County)

You could have went to a shooting range and shot all you wanted and nobody would have looked at you at all..

That is because you would have been doing it in a more acceptable manor..

Standing along a highway shooting at tin cans just makes people wonder what you are doing there and will they be in danger if one of your stray bullets goes flying through their house...

It's not the kind of thing that a responsible sportsman would do...

Because it is the first gun you have ever owned, you don't yet know that.

Maybe you ought to get someone more experienced with firearms to show you the proper way to shoot - in a more acceptable place than someone's field.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rifleman View Post
    You could have went to a shooting range and shot all you wanted and nobody would have looked at you at all..

That is because you would have been doing it in a more acceptable manor..

Standing along a highway shooting at tin cans just makes people wonder what you are doing there and will they be in danger if one of your stray bullets goes flying through their house...

It's not the kind of thing that a responsible sportsman would do...

Because it is the first gun you have ever owned, you don't yet know that.

Maybe you ought to get someone more experienced with firearms to show you the proper way to shoot - in a more acceptable place than someone's field.
    Being that you don't know the area you don't know that in the direction I was shooting there were no houses for at least a few miles, and I was shooting into a bank from on a high spot. And lastly It wasn't a freeway, but a back country road. plus it is an area that is hunted during the proper season. So it is a safe area to discharge a firearm.

That being said, I will check the local laws and make sure there was nothing wrong with what I am doing. I appreciate your concern and criticism but please make sure you know the situation before you attack something you don't understand.

(York County)

"Maybe you ought to get someone more experienced with firearms to show you the proper way to shoot - in a more acceptable place than someone's field."
    I shoot in a field frequently....

It's as acceptable as any range....why not?

(Schuylkill County)

I shoot in my field also and it is very exceptable and more people should have the opertunity to have that kind of freedom, plus there arent to many places i can shoot my full auto that they dont give me crap about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast