Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Your ideas, about gun control

What are your ideas about what should be done to decrease , the amountof illegal guns on philly's streets?

I am sure we will all agree thsat the the proposed ideas from out lovely politicians, are completely ridiculous, but what would you do if you had the power to help?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Your ideas, about gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    What are your ideas about what should be done to decrease , the amountof illegal guns on philly's streets?
    You can try reducing demand, via harsher penalties on criminals.

But history has shown that trying to interdict supply of a plentiful commodity from motivated buyers (aka, gun control) always fails.

Politicians focus on guns because it's cheap and easy grandstanding, and legitimate gun owners are easy targets, and everyone gets a frisson of virtue.

(Perry County)

Charge the criminals harshly, don't allow them to plea bargain and keep them in prison for their entrie sentence. Gun control measures passed by politicians have NO effect on criminals because it only targets LEGAL gun purchasers. VERY few criminals get their gun legally, thus do not have to abide by gun laws. Therefore, gun laws do little to reduce crime.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Westmoreland County)

Stop plea bargaining away the mandatory five year sentence for using a gun in a crime. Then have the Feds pile on any federal firearms violations and put these recidivist criminals away for a long, long time.

Concurrently, no need for multi-million dollar prisons to relieve over-crowding. Start building *tent city* prisons modeled after the one established by Sheriff Joe Arpaio's in Maricopa Co. (Arizona).

Feel free to start a write in campaign to elect me the next Governor of Pennsylvania.

(Bucks County)

Harsher penalties for criminals who use guns will not solve the problem any more than outlawing guns. People who commit crimes either aren't necessarily great at reasoning, so they often can't understand the potential consequences of their crimes while they're acting. If they thought they'd caught, they generally wouldn't committ the crime anyway, so harsher penalties are an imperfect deterrent.

Honestly, I think our problems are more about a social lack of value/respect for human life and also the desperation that comes with limited/non-existent opportunities to live a fulfilling life. So how do you fix that?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Harsher penalties for criminals who use guns will not solve the problem any more than outlawing guns.
    Maybe, maybe not. That's a matter to be evaluated by empirical observation, though, and luckily there is some data. Google "Project Exile in Richmond" for example.

(Montgomery County)

Also tackle the strawman purchasers. Lets face facts, there are a few guys buying up a bunch of guns then claiming 'they lost them' and in fact are selling them to criminals. Make a minimum 5 year sentence for EACH instance of illegal sale to a bad guy. THEN strike deals with the criminal caught with the gun to reduce his sentence if he dimes out the strawman.

When it becomes way too hot for the strawman to sell the gun, the incentive to make a few bucks will drop off. Just looking at the economics, you will make more money robbing a store and get a lighter sentence than if you sell a gun and get caught.

This is far more effective than just imposing that 'one gun a month' crap - and it targets the bad guy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Stop plea bargaining away the mandatory five year sentence for using a gun in a crime. Then have the Feds pile on any federal firearms violations and put these recidivist criminals away for a long, long time.

Concurrently, no need for multi-million dollar prisons to relieve over-crowding. Start building *tent city* prisons modeled after the one established by Sheriff Joe Arpaio's in Maricopa Co. (Arizona).

Feel free to start a write in campaign to elect me the next Governor of Pennsylvania.
    +1 on that! I like the sound of Governor Tony. Works for me!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

You guys have it so wrong. So, so wrong.

Crime pays nowadays because of what you already have mentioned, plea bargain and whatnot. And those of you asking to put these people away for a long, long time are just asking for higher and higher taxes.

1) I'd say make it so that criminals have to right their wrongs. Put them in prison factories and make them work hard to compensate the victims AND to pay for ALL costs associated with that. From lawyers, to court costs, to housing facilities as well as the costs inherited by their actions. This way, victims are being robbed twice, one by the criminals, and the second time to pay $50k a year to house, feed and clothe these people in prison.

2) Legalize drugs and other vices. (end most crime over night)

Once criminals realize that crime doesnt pay, it will drop, and this includes gun-crime.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Harsher penalties for criminals who use guns will not solve the problem any more than outlawing guns. People who commit crimes either aren't necessarily great at reasoning, so they often can't understand the potential consequences of their crimes while they're acting. If they thought they'd caught, they generally wouldn't committ the crime anyway, so harsher penalties are an imperfect deterrent.

Honestly, I think our problems are more about a social lack of value/respect for human life and also the desperation that comes with limited/non-existent opportunities to live a fulfilling life. So how do you fix that?
    First you bring back the concept of individual responsibility then you end the bleeding heart "It isn't their fault" bullshit. Bottom line is we are each responsible for precisely what we, ourselves, do. I am no more responsible for your actions than you are for mine. We need to get those concepts back into the public school system, along with some serious corporal punishment, and maybe we can start to turn things around.

Do NOT try to hand me the "desperation that comes with limited/non-existent opportunities to live a fulfilling life" crap. My father came from a coal cracker family with eight siblings and his father died when dad was 12. They defined "poorer than dirt," but every one of them pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and did what needed to be done. Several of them are multi-millionaires and they are all closer than peas in a pod. If you want to hit the hot button with me, you've just seen how to do it.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast