Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Angry This "scratch" is going back!!!!

I didn't want to derail the other thread... This 1911 is going back. You may have to zoom in some. Look at the file marks in the slide.

Your looking at a slide with 444 rounds through it. I rack the slide 500 times prior to even firing the first round, all well lubricated, so 944 total actuation's.

The last time out, I shot 100 rounds and racking the slide became more and more difficult. At the end it was really rough. It's suppose to get easier as it breaks in, right? When I got home I field stripped it and cleaned the pistol. I was blown away when I saw the bottom of the slide. It looked like a 15 year old took a file to the slide when fitting it. I was/am pissed. It's going back to Springfield on Monday (5/5).

Ya ready for this,,,,,,,, this is the highly exalted Springfield Professional. That's right,,, the FBI Hostage Rescue Team pistol.

What would you do??? Yeah, I know they guarantee them forever so just shoot the shit out of it. The file marks channel the lubrication out and the gun tends to dry out quicker.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: This "scratch" is going back!!!!

That's interesting. I have a customers stainless Springfield in here the with the same complaint. The more he uses it, the more difficult the operation of the slide becomes.

I removed the burrs and tool marks from the slide and frame (it looked like who-did-it-and-ran under there) and test fired. It seems normal now but I wonder where it will be in 500 rounds.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Wait, this is a springer Pro, and the finish looks worse than my TRP as far as machining marks...

2-3 year wait for a pistol of that caliber, ya it would be going back

The machining marks wouldnt worry me, as that area of the 1911 is going to wear reguardless with use, however, it the slide is not buttery smooth and tight slide to frame fit i would not be happy...

marks and scratches no biggie, but if its not moving like glass id be pissed

Springer will take care of you, hopefully replace the pistol as much more filing deburing may change the fitment of the slide...id push for that
    Last edited by Svickstc; May 2nd, 2014 at 09:11 AM.

Daayyy-uuumm!

My Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical looks way better than that, and I only spent $450. So far, 400 rounds down range trouble free, with countless slide actuation's. Im just using Mobil 1 for a lube and she seems to like it.

I looked at the zoom in pics, that is just wrong, inexcusable. Id send that thing back. How much did it set you back?
    Hold the Line...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    Daayyy-uuumm!

My Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical looks way better than that, and I only spent $450. So far, 400 rounds down range trouble free, with countless slide actuation's. Im just using Mobil 1 for a lube and she seems to like it.

I looked at the zoom in pics, that is just wrong, inexcusable. Id send that thing back. How much did it set you back?
    "More than you can afford pal, Ferrari"

Sorry I had too, probably between High 2
    s or 3-4 grand brand new, with a 2+ year wait from springfield they are usually truly exceptional guns, OP must of snagged a hangover friday special
    Last edited by Svickstc; May 2nd, 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    "More than you can afford pal, Ferrari"

Sorry I had too, probably between High 2
    s or 3-4 grand brand new, with a 2+ year wait from springfield they are usually truly exceptional guns, OP must of snagged a hangover friday special
    Sad.

To spend that much $$$ and receive mediocrity. Unacceptable. At that price level, there is no room for the "Friday gun", I would be hopping pissed OP.
    Hold the Line...

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    What would you do???
    Sell it and get two Glock's! Take the rest of the $$$$ and buy Ammo.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; May 2nd, 2014 at 04:30 PM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

I could sell it and get a half a dozen Glocks,,, well five anyway. That ain't happinin. I've got over 5 K in .45, so I won't be needing any this month.

It'll be interesting to see what Dave says when he has the pistol in hand. I'll let ya know when he calls.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

That's a shame.

However, I've come to the opinion that many companies cannot keep up with the super high demand for firearms these days. My LGS tells me that Ruger is backordered on everything, as are some other companies. They are putting out the highest volume of guns to meet this demand, and the first thing to suffer is quality control. They figure that if the thing goes bang, that's good enough.

I frequent the Smith & Wesson forums, and there are members there that refuse to buy 'new' S&W's, and only purchase those made in the 70's and 80's. Too many of the new ones have 'issues'.

(Blair County)

I am a small dealer and have handled a lot of Springfield, and other, transfers. Springfields are not worth the money they charge! I have some experience, dating from Vietnam, when I handled and carried some very worn out genuine Springfields and Colts. They very best steel (blue) 1911A1 I have handled was a Norinco (no longer imported) and, in my opinion, Stainless, was a Ruger. Advertising DOES NOT MEAN IMPROVED QUALITY.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast