Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Long Rifle in the Car

I know that you cannot have a Long Rifle in your car if its loaded, but i just bought a new DB shotgun and i have a shell sleeve on the stock with 5 shells in it, can i have that in the car? or do i have to remove the shells completely and have them away from the shotgun? the shotty is for home defense, but i take it to the range regularly as well for practice (as much as you need with a shotgun)

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Long Rifle in the Car

You need to remove the shells completely. Ammo must be stored in a separate compartment. It can be the same bag but then it must be a separate compartment of that bag. Like those AR bags with the outside pockets for mags.

Quote Originally Posted by studderingdave View Post
    I know that you cannot have a Long Rifle in your car if its loaded, but i just bought a new DB shotgun and i have a shell sleeve on the stock with 5 shells in it, can i have that in the car? or do i have to remove the shells completely and have them away from the shotgun? the shotty is for home defense, but i take it to the range regularly as well for practice (as much as you need with a shotgun)

(Northampton County)

Now... what if you detach the ammo-laden stock from the receiver, and store that in a separate container from the receiver? Is it good then?

Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Tioga County)

The receiver is the firearm. If the stock is no longer attached, the stock is no longer a firearm. your good.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Now... what if you detach the ammo-laden stock from the receiver, and store that in a separate container from the receiver? Is it good then?

Shotguns aren't "loaded" if they have shells attached externally in a sleeve or a Sidesaddle, or if shells are in the same container, unless it's a detachable box magazine shotgun and the mag is loaded.

Coincidentally, I just posted this in another thread:

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

Shotguns are not usually "firearms" under the default definition, but "loaded" should apply to them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Shotguns are not usually "firearms" under the default definition, but "loaded" should apply to them.
    +1.
    In case anyone is confused, there are more than one definition of "firearm" in the UFA but there is only one definition of "loaded" in the UFA.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

thanks for the info, ill just keep the shells in the front seat while i have the shotgun in the trunk when i go the range.