Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Looking for a good BBQ place

G/F and my 5 year anniversary is next weekend and we're wanting to try out a good BBQ place, but we don't know of except for the chain 1 like Famous Dave's...we're looking for something that is like a Mom-n-Pop shop in the Philadelphia/Delaware County region...

I appreciate any suggestions!
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking for a good BBQ place

It's a bit out of your way, and isn't a mom-and-pop place, but Smoky Bones in Reading is absolutely fantastic.

http://www.smokeybones.com

(Luzerne County)

I agree smokey bones is ok. Good onion rings.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Naw, don't bother with Smokey Bones of any big box. I cant help you in that area but you you already know you want real home made food and not food cooked by people in big box who for the most part have no cooking experience and all the food is brought in pumped up with all kind of salt and shit, then topped off with DOW #25 sauce simply because big box has to make it taste the same, all the time no matter who cook it even at time the manager on shift because the "cook" didn't come in.

PS: I have many time been on the kitchen side of these big box restaurants and what I typed above is the pleasant part, I can certainly tell much more about food handling in places like these that would make most people never eat out. I will give you a small peice of some of this information. A big box restaurant in Scranton just last summer let go one employee after getting caught for urinating in the pickle juice holding the 5 gallon pales of pickles. I also would like to say his behavior had been going on for several months before he got caught. I also would bet most people on this board who are from Luz, or Laka, Co's who eat out most probably ate at this establishment.
    Last edited by CCinPA; July 19th, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    Naw, don't bother with Smokey Bones of any big box. I cant help you in that area but you you already know you want real home made food and not food cooked by people in big box who for the most part have no cooking experience and all the food is brought in pumped up with all kind of salt and shit, then topped off with DOW #25 sauce simply because big box has to make it taste the same, all the time no matter who cook it even at time the manager on shift because the "cook" didn't come in.
    Where do you go?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Where do you go?
    Its called Ted's back yard BBQ

Other than that I like to eat when I go to NYC and I usually find mom and pop, hole in the wall establishments. I have always found doing this provided me with better food, larger servings and always better service at a lesser cost.

I also enjoy many different ethnic foods and although it may not be BBQ I find the same is true by seeking out mom and pop places.

Plus I like putting my money that I do spend in the hands of hard working individuals like myself rather than throw it at a chain when I can.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    Its called Ted's back yard BBQ

Other than that I like to eat when I go to NYC and I usually find mom and pop, hole in the wall establishments. I have always found doing this provided me with better food, larger servings and always better service at a lesser cost.

I also enjoy many different ethnic foods and although it may not be BBQ I find the same is true by seeking out mom and pop places.

Plus I like putting my money that I do spend in the hands of hard working individuals like myself rather than throw it at a chain when I can.
    Ted being you? I have wanted to get a smoker for a while now.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Where do you go?
    Mostly I cook 'em up at home using Ole Ray's sauces. I bought a bottle at a gun show once and it was great, now I order it online by the dozen. My favorite is their Apple/Cinnamon Barbeque Sauce followed by their Peach-A-Licious Sauce.

That said I like Famous Dave's as well as Red Hot & Blue (only drawback is it's in Cherry Hill, NJ) They have live music most of the time too.

Bill

(Monroe County)

If you want the best place to go with the best ribs this side of the Mississippi, then you must go to Cubby's.
    Let me put it this way, their ribs are so good I finished off an entire rack by myself and I usually eat like a bird. Ok, they are a bit out of your way, but it's worth every mile you drive and hey you can hit the city when you're done for a fun night.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Holy cow I love that stuff, we found it at of all places a gun show with a bunch of hot sauce. I must order more soon.

(Lackawanna County)

Look up Jack McDavid's Firehouse. I think it's off 76 around Philly. I've never been there, but the guy used to be on Food Network when Bobby Flay was just coming into his own there. He seems like the kind of guy I want cooking dinner for me.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast