Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CompUSA DOA

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up CompUSA DOA

I am so glad this happened since they have some of the worst customer service in the industry. I was in 4 weeks ago to get a new battery and power supply that went bad on my computer. It is under warranty and I'm still waiting for it to come in. I can get a CD from France in 4 days yet I can't get a battery and power supply from California in 4 weeks. I am so glad CompUSA is going out of business.

RIP, CompUSA: 1984 - 2008
    Posted Dec 7th 2007 7:11PM by Ryan Block
    Filed under: Misc. Gadgets

Days after we first reported that CompUSA could be shutting down for good very, very soon, the WSJ everybody is reporting that the beleaguered big box retailer has been sold to Gordon Brothers Group for liquidation, which will occur shortly after the holidays. Somehow we don't think it'll be too missed, but Carlos Slim's in some pain today -- we didn't realize dude put $2 billion into the chain since the late 90s. Check out the Best Buy victory rap after the break.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

Rap Video

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: CompUSA DOA

BestBuy isn't any better, hopefully they'll be the next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    BestBuy isn't any better, hopefully they'll be the next to go.

circuit city is worst than best buy... so, who's left?

they can screw us and they know it

(Delaware County)

Comp USA was always fine as far as I'm concerned.

But then again, I actually know how to use and fix a computer, it was easy to go in there and get parts.

Nowadays, no one really knows anything about their computer beyond turning them on and using a mouse, yet they say they're 'good' at computers. . . .please.

Now, it is the limited selection of everything at Best Buy, Circuit City is a total joke.

If I need something other than a 40 dollar inkjet printer that Best Buy sells, where do you buy one now?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
    ..... If I need something other than a 40 dollar inkjet printer that Best Buy sells, where do you buy one now?
    Micro Center
    St. Davids Square
    550 East Lancaster Avenue
    St. Davids, PA 19087

Phone Numbers
    General Information
    (610) 989-8400

Business Services
    (610) 989-8400

Job Applications
    (610) 989-8400

Store Hours
    Mon - Sat 10 to 9
    Sun 11 to 6

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    circuit city is worst than best buy... so, who's left?

they can screw us and they know it
    Sorry big time disagree with this one. Went to Worst Buy stood waiting for 15 minutes, 10 of them AT THE REGISTER to ask a simple question. How much to double the memory in the laptop xxxxx. As I was leaving I stopped buy Customer (Lack of) service, and let them know why I was going across the street to C.C. to buy. For good measure I returned, different guy at the desk, he told me this is Loss prevention, I don't care, if you've got a complaint go to the website. (BTW these were the Harrisburg stores). Well Mr. Loss prevention, as a computer Professional, I've steered FOUR customers and my own purchases away from your store. This was One Wireless router, one laptop with upgraded memory, One High def Radio with installation, one Computer hard drive and installation, and one desktop machine. Well Mr. Loss prevention you an d the store's attitude ended up with a direct Loss in excess of $3000 due to poor customer service and attitude. YUP you sure prevented that loss didn't you Jack ARSE.

(Montgomery County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Sorry big time disagree with this one. Went to Worst Buy stood waiting for 15 minutes, 10 of them AT THE REGISTER to ask a simple question. How much to double the memory in the laptop xxxxx. As I was leaving I stopped buy Customer (Lack of) service, and let them know why I was going across the street to C.C. to buy. For good measure I returned, different guy at the desk, he told me this is Loss prevention, I don't care, if you've got a complaint go to the website. (BTW these were the Harrisburg stores). Well Mr. Loss prevention, as a computer Professional, I've steered FOUR customers and my own purchases away from your store. This was One Wireless router, one laptop with upgraded memory, One High def Radio with installation, one Computer hard drive and installation, and one desktop machine. Well Mr. Loss prevention you an d the store's attitude ended up with a direct Loss in excess of $3000 due to poor customer service and attitude. YUP you sure prevented that loss didn't you Jack ARSE.
    ok just out of curiousity. For a "Computer Professional" why in the world would you a: pay for a hard drive install, and b: go to best buy for it and c: buy an assembled computer at best buy?

(Chester County)

Five years ago I bought a digital camera as a gift at CompUSA and wanted to return it 3 weeks later because the giftee already had one. The clerk at customer service said no can do because the store policy is no returns after 14 days. I pointed to a huge sign above his head that said "RETURN POLICY - no returns without receipt, refunds up to 30 days, store credit up to 90 days. He said the policy changed and showed me on the back of the receipt that in barely legible light grey ink it did, in fact, say no returns after 14 days. After getting nowhere arguing with a manger for awhile I caved, but pointed out that the camera had a 1 year warrantee, so if I go outside and open the box, I bet when I try to use the camera it won't work. He was stubborn, but not stupid so he gave me a refund, and I haven't been back since.

After trying to return a DVD burner I bought at BestBuy that didn't work, I learned that they were happy to take returns, for a 20% "restocking fee". I said it didn't work so they can't restock it, they needed to return it to their supplier, and the clerk said they could fix it in-house (not having a clue as to what the problem was) and would put it back on the shelf at a discount as an open item. Store number two I won't go back to.

As Soberbyker mentioned, MicroCenter is an option, but there's only one in PA, and I've learned that if someone comes up and says "can I help you", I'm tempted to reply "I doubt it". Some of the sales guys are dumber than a box of rocks and just walk around putting their ID stickers on anything you touch so they get the commission, but at least they make an effort. I kinda get a chuckle out of it when I tell them what I'm looking for, and then they stand there and stare at the shelf I've been digging through for the past half hour.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    As Soberbyker mentioned, MicroCenter is an option, but there's only one in PA, and I've learned that if someone comes up and says "can I help you", I'm tempted to reply "I doubt it". Some of the sales guys are dumber than a box of rocks and just walk around putting their ID stickers on anything you touch so they get the commission, but at least they make an effort. I kinda get a chuckle out of it when I tell them what I'm looking for, and then they stand there and stare at the shelf I've been digging through for the past half hour.
    I've gone to Micro Center many times in the past, some of the help there is actually helpful, but I normally know what I want and where it is. I built my own computer years ago from the mother board out and it's still going strong.

If you live in the 5 county Phila. area it's easy to get to, if you don't you can order thru their website.

I got on their mailing list and you can catch some pretty good sales. I like the fact that they are basically a computer related stuff only store.

As for Best Buy, a long time ago they were more computer focused and not bad for less expensive stuff but they have since put their focus on cell phones and DVD's it seems. I do remember a time I went to Best Buy for a flat screen 36" TV, I researched their website first and printed out an ad for the one I wanted. When I got to the store they had the TV but it was $100 more then the web price. The sales clerk couldn't have cared less, the sticker price was what he was going to sell it for. I asked for the manager and he honored the web price.

It seems that everywhere you go anymore they have a who cares attitude and God forbid if you ask them anything and make they do the job their paid to do.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast