Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cutting on an angle (muzzle rise reducer)

Hello everyone, I had a few quick questions for you about trimming down a shotgun. I have been looking for an 18.5" barrel for the Mossberg 500 and haven't found much besides mossberg's website. I would a fill size barrel cheap from a local guy that has the choke tube messed up, so I figgured I could just cut it and be done.

1. Where do you measure the 18.5" from? do you have to count the length that locks in the reciever?

2. I have seen some rifles with an angled muzzle I would assume helps to prevent muzzle rise while shooting. GRoPA's Bullpup is a good example of this. It's just as easy to angle the cut as it is to do a straight, is it worth it for a shotgun?

3. Providing I do angle the muzzle, would I measure to the shortest end of the cut, or to the center?

Thanks,
    Brian

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Cutting on an angle (muzzle rise reducer)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Hello everyone, I had a few quick questions for you about trimming down a shotgun. I have been looking for an 18.5" barrel for the Mossberg 500 and haven't found much besides mossberg's website. I would a fill size barrel cheap from a local guy that has the choke tube messed up, so I figgured I could just cut it and be done.
    WHOA!!!

You'll be cutting off the choke which will leave it without ANY choke. This is not necessarily a bad thing on a CQB SG but no telling how that thing will pattern.

I would not buy that barrel.

2. I have seen some rifles with an angled muzzle I would assume helps to prevent muzzle rise while shooting. GRoPA's Bullpup is a good example of this. It's just as easy to angle the cut as it is to do a straight, is it worth it for a shotgun?
    The slant AK brake was designed to minimize off axis muzzle rise in full auto. It does nothing in semi-auto mode. But again, I would not want that barrel with its FUBAR choke tube.

(Allegheny County)

The point was just to make the shotgun more handy in the house, the max range would be about 20 feet. I will have to test the pattern no matter what but I figgured at close distances it would work just fine (I could be wrong)

The slant was designed for full auto, but would the larger bore of the shotgun make more of a difference on a slant? At the price I would get this barrel in addition to a factory 18.5 if I had to, just wondering if it would help.

Thanks for the fast reply by the way.

Brian

Brian:

If you get the already-damaged Mossberg barrel very cheap, then you're not risking much. The only suggestion I have is: by all means experiment, as that's a very effective way to learn. If you're serious about the slant-muzzle design, consider cutting the slant first on the barrel almost full length and then test the pattern. I suspect you'll find that it affects how the barrel patterns. If you want more slant, or maybe none, simply cut back more to the desired angle. When you're done, hopefully you'll have at least 18 1/2" left. And by all means, don't rule out buying a factory barrel in the length you need.

Former Communist Bloc weapons with muzzle devices have some clearance so the bullet can pass freely through the muzzle device. The barrels are crowned much the same as western designs.

One effective design that might work for you is the Cutts Compensator, a device that attaches† to the barrel and will restore choke operation. Click on the image below for details.

Gunsmith installation may be required.

(Allegheny County)

That's a good idea!

Gotta grab some new blades....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Did you intend to type Quando Omni Flunkus Mortati?
    Fixed!

How did I miss that?!? It's on my membership card and everything.

(Lawrence County)

Cut it to an angle, sharpen the point and then drill some ports on top. You can't do that with rifled barrels, but with a shotty it's no problem.

The only choke you'd likely use in the house would be cylinder, anyhow.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Centre County)

It would be interesting to see what a slanted cut on the muzzle would do to the pattern. If you're going to experiment, cut the muzzle just behind the bad choke tube area at a sharp angle (90 deg is straight down [l], at 135 deg the bottom is further out then top [\], at 150 deg the bottom is even further out than top, 45 deg the top is further out than bottom [/]). If you can get the barrel real cheap, have fun, experiment to see what happens with the pattern. Barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the breech of the barrel. Measure from the breech and make a mark at 18 1/2 inches. That will show you how much barrel you have to experiment with.

HAVE FUN WITH THIS, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - Post your results (with pics if possible) for all of us to see (and comment on, LOL).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

can you imagine the looks you would get while hacking that puppy up at the range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast