Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 45 Gap

(Franklin County)

Default 45 Gap

watched this on guns and ammo tv last week. They explained the 45 gap. But was curious why I haven't seen it on any threads.. what do you guys think of it???
    In God We Trust............................

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 45 Gap

Its pretty much pointless as a cartridge. Glock's creation for those with smaller hands. Ballistically the same as the ACP, but with a shorter case - which means it operates at higher pressures to achieve the same velocities as the ACP.

Ammo costs are more expensive than the ACP too.

(Washington County)

California University of Pennsylvania's Police are in the process of getting armed. They'll be issued Glocks chambered in .45 GAP. I don't see where it offers a huge advantage over the .45 ACP.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    California University of Pennsylvania's Police are in the process of getting armed. They'll be issued Glocks chambered in .45 GAP. I don't see where it offers a huge advantage over the .45 ACP.

Vince

IIRC, The PA State Police are switching to a Glock 37 in .45GAP as well. I haven't seen a GAP to ACP comparison yet.

(Washington County)

Stuff like that makes me think that Glock is selling the Model 37 at bargain prices to make it more attractive to the departments.

It's still the same diameter, as the APC, so it doesn't give an advantage in magazine capacity. Velocity is supposed to be higher than the .45 APC.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    IIRC, The PA State Police are switching to a Glock 37 in .45GAP as well. I haven't seen a GAP to ACP comparison yet.
    I think it's just the governor's security force going to .45GAP right now

it's a .45 for people women and minorities with smaller hands, although i didnt hear the state police where going to go with it.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    it's a .45 for people women and minorities with smaller hands, although i didnt hear the state police where going to go with it.
    I'm pretty sure it works for whites with smaller hands, too?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    My buddy who is a trooper was just issued his, he seemed happy with it. To me it seemed way heavier (unloaded) than my Glock 22 (full-size .40), if all else failed you could definitely beat someone with it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I am looking at a Para-ord Carry GAP for a future purchase.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=105

The 45 GAP case has a higher pressure capacity than a 45 ACP. I have a semi-dangerous idea that I can recover some of the lost velocity of the 3" barrel by loading a GAP to "+P" levels. The GAP case with its small primer is more suited for this type of KB tempting than the large primer ACP.

Ballisticly, the 45 GAP is the same as a 45 ACP. It is the same bullet at the same muzzle velocity. Therefore, its terminal performance is expected to be the same. This makes it an effective caliber for personal defense.

There have not been any platforms that take advantage of its shorter case, namely a smaller size or higher capacity 45. So the caliber has yet to stand out, but this is not due to its capability.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast