Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Recommendations for 30.06 Deer Rifle

Hi folks, I am looking for recommendations for a 30-06 Deer Rifle. I'll mostly be taking deer in NY and PA. I'll be shooting across larger fields (mostly corn fields) from up in a tree and would be looking for a range of 20-300m

I own a Springfield XD9sc as well as a S&W MP15. I have shot 30-06 before and know the recoil involved, but I figure for my purposes, this would be the best round to use.

Any recommendations on a 30-06 rifle that fit these requirements? Should I go with a package deal-- rifle & optic? Where is the cheapest place to buy from?

Appreciate any and all help.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Recommendations for 30.06 Deer Rifle

I'm very happy with the Savage package I bought last year. 110 model with scope and accutrigger. I put 3 shots in the size of a quarter right out of the box.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by maxentropy View Post
    Hi folks, I am looking for recommendations for a 30-06 Deer Rifle. I'll mostly be taking deer in NY and PA. I'll be shooting across larger fields (mostly corn fields) from up in a tree and would be looking for a range of 20-300m

I own a Springfield XD9sc as well as a S&W MP15. I have shot 30-06 before and know the recoil involved, but I figure for my purposes, this would be the best round to use.

Any recommendations on a 30-06 rifle that fit these requirements? Should I go with a package deal-- rifle & optic? Where is the cheapest place to buy from?

Appreciate any and all help.
    You are going to get a shitpot full of responses not only on rifle types but other calibers as well.

I hunt thick woods and use a Reminton 760 pump in .06. I originally got the pump due to the fact I shot pump shotguns for years and figured the transition to rifle would be better.

I would say normal accuracy for this rifle was about 2" at 100 but I handload and got considerably better than this.

I have NEVER shot a deer further than 90 yards with this rifle but the rifle is capable.

.308, 7mm, 300mags, 270's and many other calibers are all capable of doing what you want.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    You are going to get a shitpot full of responses not only on rifle types but other calibers as well.

.308, 7mm, 300mags, 270's and many other calibers are all capable of doing what you want.
    I may want to take larger game eventually as well. My buddies mostly shoot 30-06 as well so if I need to borrow a few rounds I can.

Unless someone can truly offer good insight on why I'd want to go another caliber I'm stuck on 30-06.

(Allegheny County)

I can tell you what NOT TO BUY...The Remington 710...I read an article where its basically a throw away..Now way to change barrels..Limited life reciever with some type of plastic bushing...The magazine article said it was to be sighted in and shot a few times a year at most..Do a search on that model..

Other than that any Savage,Ruger,Remington,older Winchester...The newer in-expensive Mossberg rifles are getting decent reviews...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by maxentropy View Post
    I may want to take larger game eventually as well. My buddies mostly shoot 30-06 as well so if I need to borrow a few rounds I can.

Unless someone can truly offer good insight on why I'd want to go another caliber I'm stuck on 30-06.
    Nothing wrong with an .06

For longer ranges, a bolt gun may be a better choice.

My uncle, who used to manage a pretty fair amount of land in British Columbia said he has taken Grizzly bear with the same rifle I have. Range unknown

good luck.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

Tikka T3. Rings are included. Eighteen months ago, I got a SS/syn model from Shydas in Lebanon for a bit over $500. It's a real tack driver.

Dale

(York County)

Remington.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Butler County)

Rem. pump, Rem. bolt, Win. bolt, Savage bolt. I think you can even get a lever action in '06. Personally I'd like to use a Garand. But they won't let me. So I use a Ruger #1. Only got one shot so I gotta make it count.

The .30-06 is a great round; probably one of the most versatile out there. Others would work for your described purpose (7mm Mag, .270 .308, 7mm-08, even .243), but you can't go wrong with a .30-06.

As far as rifle is concerned, there are lots of options. At this stage of my shooting / hunting career, I rarely even glance at new guns -- there are way too many fine older guns out there that can be had for a fraction of the cost of new. Given your stated purpose, I'd lean toward a bolt action, but would be equally happy with a pump. My first choice would be a second-hand Remington 700. I have a preference for the beauty of wood, so I'd opt for a BDL, and mount a good intermediate magnification variable scope on it. By way of example, I picked up an un-fired 700 BDL manufactured in 1994 complete with nice Redfield 3-9X scope for $450 about two years ago. I've since moved the scope to another rifle and replaced it with a second-hand Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10x40. The gun shoots just under 1 MOA with 165 grain Remington Core-Lokts. Couldn't ask for better from a hunting rifle.

My second choice would be an older Remington 760, again with a good intermediate magnification variable scope. I took my first PA whitetail with my father-in-law's early 760 (it now sports the Redfield I took off the 700). The 760, which is now close to 40 years old, still shoots right at 2 MOA with inexpensive 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts. Since that's "hunting accurate," we've never experimented with trying to improve on it with other loads.

Lots of options ... these are my opinion only, hopefully worth at least what you paid for it ($0.00). Let us know what you decide, and pics are always welcome!
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast