Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default What I did wrong last weekend.

First time I open carried my firearm. I had my Kahr PM9 in an OWB holster at 4 o'clock with my shirt tucked in on the way to the range. Stopped at a Sheetz to grab a cup of coffee and made the on spot decision to not put my jacket on to enter the store as it was a gorgeous morning. I was wearing a black t-shirt, jeans, and black ball cap with the letters "AFK" on it.

I was parked right in front, you know in the spots marked "cars only, no trucks", of the store. Got out walked into the store and as I entered the store my heart started pounding... "WTF?", I started thinking, "What the hell is wrong with me?" I did a quick scan of the store... and noticed it was pretty busy in there. I tried to actually register how many people, where they were, what they looked like, etc. but my nerves were getting more shot by the second as I walked in and went to the coffee counter.

I grabbed a cup and started looking at the little creamer cups trying to find a hazelnut one in among the Irish cream and others... while I did this I noticed a kind of scruffy looking guy move around the coffee counter to the other side while staring at me... He had obviously registered the gun as his eyes were wide.

Couldn't find a damn hazelnut creamer so said ok just half and half... I almost had tunnel vision by now and I was still trying to calm myself down and the guy staring at me wasn't helping. Put cream in the cup and reached for the coffee pot... and knocked the damn "this one is brewing sign" to the floor. Bent down to pick it up and put it back on the counter... grabbed the coffee pot (it was actually done brewing thankfully), filled the cup, and stuck a lid on it. The guy staring at me did a complete loop around the counter and got in line for the register while I was doing all this.

Turned around and there was still a line at the register... the guy that had been staring at me was just finishing and started walking toward the door. He wasn't staring any longer but kept glancing at me like to check where I was. Paid for the coffee quickly (clerk didn't bat an eye at me but there was no way he couldn't have seen the gun while I was standing at the coffee counter 10 feet away with my back to him) and headed for the door. Staring guy was standing there with the door open waiting for someone behind me... Said "Good morning, sir." as he held the door while I went through. Mumbled a "Good morning... thanks" as I went through.

Got in my car, put the coffee in the holder, started the car, picked up the coffee, took a sip...paused a bit... put the coffee back in the holder and drove off.

The spur of the moment decision to open carry wasn't too bright I think. I did not mentally prepare myself at ALL and was not prepared for the surge of emotion I experienced as I walked through the door. From that point on I had very little situational awareness, tunnel vision, and fixation on a single individual who was highly unlikely to have been a threat.

Not my finest moment.
    Last edited by chivvalry; April 18th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What I did wrong last weekend.

You just need to calm the heck down. You didn't do anything wrong except not controlling your own anxiety.

*Deep Breath*

You're all good!

(Cambria County)

First of all.... why the hell do you use HAZEL NUT creamer!??!!

JK.

Actually, I laughed while I read your story. Not AT you, but WITH you. I think maybe we have all been there. I know I was when I went into a Lowe's my first time OCing. (just to grab some batteries). I was all sweaty, and nervous and even knocked over a row of batteries as I grabbed a pack.

Thanks for openly sharing your (somewhat humorous) story so we can all reflect on ourselves.

You WILL get more relaxed in time as you do it more. (get back on that horse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Butler County)

I blame it all on Viper... I kept waiting for someone to yell "Hey JUNIOR!"... though "junior" might not actually apply to me any more.

I didn't have a recorder or any fliers printed out and on me either!!

;-)
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

If they bring open carry to texas. I'm sure I'd use it sometimes, but more often than not I'd CC. I felt "strange" the first few times I CC'd but now it's like second nature to me.

Are you sure anyone saw the PM9? It's such a lil guy.

I'd say 75% of the people will not even be aware that you are armed. 12.5 will register but not say anything. 10% will be like"Cool!!" 2% will give you the stink eye. .25% might voice their bulshit opinion, and .20 might get rude about it. .05% will get irrational and vocal/and or call cops.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselgeek View Post
    If they bring open carry to texas. I'm sure I'd use it sometimes, but more often than not I'd CC. I felt "strange" the first few times I CC'd but now it's like second nature to me.

Are you sure anyone saw the PM9? It's such a lil guy.
    LOL, "staring guy" definitely saw it... It has a stainless slide so against the black t-shirt it actually showed up pretty well even though it is a lil guy.

I'm so used to carrying it concealed it really didn't register how different it would feel to carry it openly until I was walking through the store entrance.

(Montgomery County)

I think we've all gone through something similar our first times. Congratulations and it gets easier.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Wayne County)

Great story! I think we have all been there so don't beat yourself up over it. Just remember to calm down and as Asmodeus6 said "deep breaths." What helps me is I always remind myself that I'm not doing anything wrong and that its perfectly legal. Plus after a few positive OC encounters you will feel much better about carrying. Keep it up

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    You just need to calm the heck down. You didn't do anything wrong except not controlling your own anxiety.

*Deep Breath*

You're all good!
    ^^^^
    This.

And get a bigger gun.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast