Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Philly needs a woop'in

First off, I would like to say, “Thank you to everyone that has had there rights violated by LEO’s and has had the guts to stand up and fight”. For what it is worth, you have my admiration. Secondly, I do not mean to offend any lawyers that may be on this site. (I know there are a few) It is not my intention.
    Finally, to my point. It seems, from the posts that I have read, most of the trampling of our rights of open carry are being committed in the city and surrounding suburbs of Philadelphia. Lawyers are all over the television begging to sue people after a car accident, bad meds, botched surgery, injuries, a hang nail……. whatever. They take these cases pro-bono. Has anyone tried or thought of taking all of these smaller cases of gun rights violations and combining them into one huge class action multimillion dollar lawsuit? Lawyers just seem to drool at the prospect since they get a big chunk of the change. I’m wondering if a firm would take up the cause pro-bono? It would definitely draw attention to the cause and probably result in better training of LEOS if cities were in fear of getting huge lawsuits when they abuse law abiding citizens. Win or lose, they would cough up huge sums of money to defend there abuse of power. Just food for thought here, opinions are welcomed.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Philly needs a woop'in

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Lawyers are all over the television begging to sue people after a car accident, bad meds, botched surgery, injuries, a hang nail……. whatever. They take these cases pro-bono........I’m wondering if a firm would take up the cause pro-bono?
    99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time lawyers do pro bono work because they have to or it is good publicity. Except for gunlawyer here at PAFOA.

I think what you meant was on a contingency basis. Although, there may be some fancy Latin word for that, too.
    I can tell you've been rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Philly needs a woop'in

Doctors and lawyers....two similar type of social parasites who STILL use Latin in 21st century America.

So that nobody else knows what they're saying.

(Mercer County)

Well, although I do thank you for reading my post, your comments are less than helpful with my question. Opinions are one thing however, I'm trying to help my brothers here with useful suggestions. Can we keep it at that?
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Delaware County)

OP makes a great point!

Those TV lawyer ads run 24/7/365

If I saw one with a lawyer drooling to defend a civil rights or gun rights violation I'd cheer.

Maybe all the cops watching might get it drilled into their heads to think twice. The ad space could even be used to educate?

Attention, open carry is legal, if you've been the victim of.... Call me now!
    Lol
    Last edited by BimmerJon; October 16th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

(Northampton County)

I'm assuming that an injury case has a greater likelihood of a decent payout than a civil rights case over a cop that confiscated your handgun because you refused to conceal it. Probably takes a lot less work as well. There's also a lot more cases of injuries out there so a lot of people specialize in it, streamlining the effort required to pursue those cases.

Further, like it or not, there is a stigma attached to OC. Probably 75% of the people out there either think you shouldn't have a gun in the first place or think you should keep it concealed to avoid such issues.

Not that I'm against the idea, but what about taxpayer funds? Forgive my ignorance of civil rights cases, but how can we ensure that the violators of these civil rights can't use taxpayer money to defend the harassment of taxpayers? (This can carry into other cases, two example of which I have in mind, but this isn't the place. :P)

(Luzerne County)

nightglider, they DO use tax money to defend these cases, they also use tax money to commit the offenses in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    nightglider, they DO use tax money to defend these cases, they also use tax money to commit the offenses in the first place.
    I figured...I was asking about a way to prevent that...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Further, like it or not, there is a stigma attached to OC. Probably 75% of the people out there either think you shouldn't have a gun in the first place or think you should keep it concealed to avoid such issues.
    About that percentage approved of segregation at the time and thus tolerated the various unsavory practices of law enforcement pertaining to it. Their approval/acceptance/belief was for very much the same reasons as people are anti gun.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 16th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast