Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Opinions Wanted on an Old Favorite

Hi, All. My wife and I are thinking about purchasing an M1A for recreational and collecting purposes. I know there was a thread around here the other day about the SOCOM, but I'm thinking of something like this:

We are members of New Holland RPC and have access to a 600 yard range, so we're looking for something of a military-type rifle with long range accuracy.

So...

Anybody have any thoughts, pro or con, on the Springfield M1A? They're expensive, and I'd like some honest opinions before we seriously consider buying one. Also, we are open to any other rifle (under $1,500) that fits the above description.

Thanks for your help,

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Chester County)

Default Re: Opinions Wanted on an Old Favorite

I love the gun. I want one badly.

But for shooting at 600 yards you will want a National Match M1A. The "base standard" m1a isn't good for accuracy. For reaching out that far you want to get yourself something like a remington 700 in .308...

Or I chose a RRA 20" varmint setup. With a 1-in-8 barrel it can huck 80 grain bullets 600 yards with good accuracy, and for the under $1K price it guarantees 3/4MOA accuracy. To get that level of accuracy with an M1A you're talking $1800.

I'd love one... but it's more emotional than "practical" when you bring money into it. At least IMHO.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I love the gun. I want one badly.

But for shooting at 600 yards you will want a National Match M1A. The "base standard" m1a isn't good for accuracy. For reaching out that far you want to get yourself something like a remington 700 in .308...

Or I chose a RRA 20" varmint setup. With a 1-in-8 barrel it can huck 80 grain bullets 600 yards with good accuracy, and for the under $1K price it guarantees 3/4MOA accuracy. To get that level of accuracy with an M1A you're talking $1800.

I'd love one... but it's more emotional than "practical" when you bring money into it. At least IMHO.
    This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks for your opinion!

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Lehigh County)

You could get an old Russian Mosin/Nagant sniper rifle. (Enemy At The Gate) They can hit a man in the next county. My rifle's iron (?) sights are graduated to 2000 meters. For under 100 bucks, its a fun shooter, some composite stock sets, etc available to "sporter-ize" and when it runs out of the 5 rounds in box magazine, you simply grab another gun at that price.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

They are a great rifle and someday I hope to own one. I'd probably give Fulton Armory a chance to earn my money before SA.

Fulton Armory M14 Peerless Match/Target Rifle
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/

New magazines there are $50 each.
    All parts for this rifle are high and getting higher.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

My Friend was on the Marine Corps Competition Rifle Squad (I forget the proper name). They used stock military issue M14's no modifications permitted (sight black was it). They competed at 600 yards. If you want a service rifle that will be accurate (for the average guy to achieve) at 600 yards, then a NM AR15 will work well. They run in the $1,000 range. There is a big difference in learning to shoot (well) a M-1/M14 as compared to a AR. The recoil is the big difference as well as the bullet weight and trajectory. Are you planning on shooting from the bench? With iron sights? Are you ready to walk 1200 yards each time you need to paste your bullet holes? What targets do you plan on using? You are going to need a powerful spotting scope to see if your even on the paper at 600 yards. 100-200 yard practice is much more practical, just use a reduced target that simulates 600 yards

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; February 6th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My Friend was on the Marine Corps Competition Rifle Squad (I forget the proper name). They used stock military issue M14's no modifications permitted (sight black was it). They competed at 600 yards. If you want a service rifle that will be accurate (for the average guy to achieve) at 600 yards, then a NM AR15 will work well. They run in the $1,000 range. There is a big difference in learning to shoot (well) a M-1/M14 as compared to a AR. The recoil is the big difference as well as the bullet weight and trajectory. Are you planning on shooting from the bench? With iron sights? Are you ready to walk 1200 yards each time you need to paste your bullet holes? What targets do you plan on using? your going to need a powerful spotting scope to see if your even on the paper at 600 yards. 100-200 yard practice is much more practical, just use a reduced target.

Hawk,
    Those rifles were not stock off the rack, they were fine tuned by expert armorers. The rounds they fired were precision manufactured and highly inspected.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Those rifles were not stock off the rack, they were fine tuned by expert armorers. The rounds they fired were precision manufactured and highly inspected.

Hmm, I guess my Friend was lying then. BTW this was in the 60's.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Opinions Wanted on an Old Favorite

My bad Hawk I assumed wrong. I too had a friend on a USMC shooting team and they used highly tuned rifles. Sorry I thought we were talking about the same thing.

How do I look with egg on my face?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    My bad Hawk I assumed wrong. I too had a friend on a USMC shooting team and they used highly tuned rifles. Sorry I thought we were talking about the same thing.

How do I look with egg on my face?

Hey, I didn't specify when, so your good to go

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast