Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Judges tentatively order Calif. inmates released

This plus restrictive gun laws = bad news.

Feb 9, 6:50 PM (ET)

By DON THOMPSON

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A special panel of federal judges has tentatively ruled that California must release tens of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding.

The judges say no other solution will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides or lack of proper care.

They say the state can cut the population of its 33 adult prisons through changes in parole and other policies without endangering public safety.

The three judges said a final population figure would be set later.

In Monday's tentative ruling, the judges said they want the state to present a plan to trim the prison population in two to three years.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Judges tentatively order Calif. inmates released

Laughable.

It's okay though, Snake Pliskin will save them.

Until then, the citizens can scold the criminals in a loud, stern voice. After dialing 911. While they wait for the po-po to come and save them, yo.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Northampton County)

Link?

I'm curious as to the criteria being used to determine who is suitable for release. I'll admit that I'm not going to lose any sleep if they're releasing non-violent offenders... but seeing as California is still within the United States of Puritanism, I doubt it.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Gonna need more than a part of a blurb and no link to get me even thinking this is not just another asshat with a blog.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    snip In Monday's tentative ruling, the judges said they want the state to present a plan to trim the prison population in two to three years. .
    I have a plan to trim it in two to three minutes:

Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Posted by Orin Kerr:
    Judges Reinhardt, Henderson and Karlton Indicate Plan to Order California to Release About 25% of Its Inmates:
    http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2...ml#1234237240*

** Howard has the links to this very interesting news development
    ** [1]here. The tentative order of the three judge panel (all Carter
    ** appointees, as it happens) is [2]here.
    **** This litigation is new to me, but it appears to have been going for
    ** a long time. The gist of the order is that California state prisons
    ** are terribly overcrowded, and the three judges have concluded that the
    ** only realistic way to avoid unconstitutional prison conditions is to
    ** force the state to agree to an order substantially decreasing the
    ** number of people in the California state prison system: "[G]iven the
    ** evidence presented to this Court, . . an order imposing a cap on the
    ** prison population and requiring the State to adopt a course of action
    ** to reduce overcrowding is warranted."
    **** Sounds fishy to me, but then I suppose I often have that reaction
    ** when the name "REINHARDT" appears on a judicial opinion. I hope
    ** someone who has been following this litigation and understands the
    ** [3]Prison Litigation Reform Act can weigh in and provide some context
    ** and more informed opinion.

References

** 1. http://howappealing.law.com/020909.html#032519
    ** 2. http://howappealing.law.com/ColemanEDCal020909.pdf
    ** 3. http://www.wnylc.net/pb/docs/plra2cir04.pdf

Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

Maybe those asshat bloggers LA Times will be good enough

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,815133.story
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

Cal. District Court Issues "Tentative Order" Requiring the Release of Thousands of Prisoners

In the opinion of the three judge court, this is the only remedy which will address "the constitutionally inadequate medical and mental health care in California’s prisons." The ruling is here (PDF).

Now, this litigation has a lengthier and more complicated procedural history than most of what I mess with outside of work. And it's not my area of expertise. Still, several issues immediately cross my mind.

First, this is a "tentative ruling", not a final order. Thus, the parties cannot appeal it. It is merely to put them on notice of the judges' likely conclusion until the final order is completed. There are many reasons the judges would do this, including to get California moving developing a plan to comply. Such an order also encourages the parties to come to some kind of settlement before the Court imposes a resolution. Finally, it tells the parties what more will be required of them; here, the Court wants proposed numbers for the percentages of inmate reductions and the dates for compliance.

On that point, the Court is suggesting an inmate population cap of 120% or 145% of design capacity for each prison, with some specific institutions reduced to less than 100%. This would require the release of roughly 60,000 prisoners over the next two to three years. In August (the dates cited by the order), the prison population was at roughly 200% of design capacity. Judge Reinhardt believes that reducing the population "could be achieved through reform measures that would not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect."

That brings me to the second issue: Judge Reinhardt. That would be Judge Steven Reinhardt of the Ninth Circuit, one of the most liberal and most reversed appellate judges in the nation. As I said before, I don't know much about this litigation and it's not my area of expertise, but having Reinhardt's name attached automatically makes me wonder about the soundness of the legal reasoning. Judge Reinhardt frequently writes opinions knowing full well they will be overturned by his colleagues or the Supreme Court. He is married to the executive director of the Southern California branch of the ACLU. In an odd coincidence, his first law clerk was Deval Patrick (yes, that Deval Patrick). And he was appointed to the Ninth Circuit by President Carter.

That brings me to my third issue. This tentative ruling and the forthcoming final order are being issued by a "Three Judge Court." This is not a panel of the Ninth Circuit. Rather, it is a a special three-judge court convened for the Eastern and Northern (Federal) Districts of California pursuant to this federal law (more on it later). A three judge court is supposed to have at least one circuit judge as part of the court and it does. The funny part is that the two judges other than Reinhardt are "Senior Judges", that is, semi-retired district court judges. In other words, old guys. In this case, they both were appointed by President Carter and it would not be unfair to characterize them as pro-defendant, anti-prosecution.

District Court Judge Thelton Henderson is famous for being a civil rights attorney in the 1960s (he knew King) and infamous for striking down Prop 209, the anti-affirmative action voter initiative approved in 1996. His decision was later overturned by the Ninth Circuit.

Fourth (now that I've impugned their order while barely mentioning it), it's difficult to tell whether this decision is necessary or legal. Certainly the tentative ruling paints a dire picture. The litigation has been going on since the mid-1990s. Governor Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency for the prisons in 2006, an action which was upheld by the court because of "extreme peril to the safety of persons and property." Medical and mental health issues caused by overcrowding are mentioned.

However, the ruling is almost entirely silent on the law. There are no citations, so no way to tell if the judges are complying with the law. Presumably, that will have to wait for the final order. The law at issue, as far as I can tell, is 18 U.S.C. § 3626, which provides for "prisoner release orders" as a last resort. There are several requirements, all of which Judge Reinhardt and company believe have been met.

It can only be issued if: (1) a court has previously entered an order for less intrusive relief that has failed to remedy the violation of a federal right; (2) the state has had a reasonable amount of time to comply with the previous court order; (3) the court determines that crowding is the primary cause of the violation of a federal right; and (4) no other relief will remedy the violation.

I suspect that last requirement will be the key issue on appeal, should Schwarzenegger seek appeal. Judge Reinhardt cites the "unprecedented economic crisis" and California's current budget problem as the reason why the state can provide no relief other than to release prisoners. Such an appeal could bypass the Ninth Circuit and go directly to the Supreme Court.

Finally, hanging over this whole case is the issue of parole reform. The criminal defense bar and criminal-rights advocates have been trying for years to roll back laws which provide for (and in many cases require) incarceration for parole violations. They are also interested in abolishing "truth in sentencing" laws which require that convicts serve their entire sentences (or a substantial portion thereof). They haven't had much luck with state legislators, who would be crucified in the polls if they were seen as soft on crime. California makes such reforms even more difficult with its voter initiative system, which fairly frequently (including in this past election) approves props which tighten parole conditions and disapproves props which would allow more convicts to take advantage of parole. I believe it is not a coincidence that Judge Reinhardt's order will force California to adopt parole reforms. What could not be done through the legislature is being done through the courts.

Thanks to DrewM. for the pointer.

Posted by: Gabriel Malor at 08:44 AM

(Lehigh County)

The judges may have been tentative, but the perps were brimming with confidence!