Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default barrel twist rates

i've decided to give handloading a try and i have read through abc's of reloading and nosler's guide and planning to get another or so. i plan to load for 2-3 handguns at first just to get the feel for it, a model 29-2 .44 magnum and a colt anaconda .45colt and maybe a colt 1911 gov't series 80. does anyone know offhand the twist rates for these barrels? from what i understand the slower the twist the lighter the bullet must be to stabilize and a faster twist can stabilize a lighter round but not vice versa.
    another question is what powders, and heads are you guys (and girls) using for these calibers? for .44 i kinda want to do a slightly reduced magnum load and for the anaconda and 1911 i want to find some normal factory spec. loads. i would also like to use jacketed ammo in all calibers because when i got the m29 used it took hours to remove the leading from the previous owner and i wouldn't want it to happen again. i plan to get a few load guides eventually as well. thanks everyone!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Centre County)

Default Re: barrel twist rates

Any of the reloading manuals will give you plenty of suggestions for loads. That is the first thing any first time reloader should buy, even before buying any equipment. Buy a reloading manual (or 2, or 3) and read them before doing anything else. The worst that can happen is that it will give you more questions to ask the more experienced reloaders.

Any loads that are transmitted in forums like this should be taken with some thought (was going to say grain of salt but that might have mislead you to think you have to add salt to the load, LOL). These are loads that work in that persons gun, it may behave different in yours. Bullet and powder manufactures put a lot of time and money in coming up with their loads and you typically can use them as written (but IIRC, all of them say do not start with the max load they show, start lower and work up).

Be advised, if you thought (or think) that BRD is hideous, wait til you comedown with HD (handloaders disease). You reloaders out there know what I mean .
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I don't want anyone's personal data I just wanted a suggestion for a brand of powder or bullet. I do have the nosler reloading guide and will probably pick up the lyman manual next.

(Centre County)

Ok, I understand now. I won't give specific loads just suggestions.

For the Model 29 - I had one a few years ago and it really liked loads made with W296 and with a 240 grain jacketed bullet (use a magnum primer for this one). If you go with a lighter lead bullet (185 grs.), try a load using Unique or one of the Hodgdon powders (Titegroup, Universal, etc)

For the 45 Colt try using a lead flat nose bullet with Universal in a medium load, fun to shoot.

For the 45ACP the standard load is a 230 gr FMJ using any powder that pushes it about 850-900 fps. Unique would work there also.

When I started reloading some of the standard powders I was introduced to for handguns were Unique, Red Dot, 2400, and W296. There are some many more that can be used. Now I also have Solo 1000 (for light target loads), Titegroup, Universal, Universal Clays and H110.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    I don't want anyone's personal data I just wanted a suggestion for a brand of powder or bullet. I do have the nosler reloading guide and will probably pick up the lyman manual next.
    Personally I think personal data on reloads using the same gun you're requesting is the best type of 'real' data available.

I have reloading data from my g/fs Dad when he had his model 29 .44 magnum...his best load had him shooting .75in groups at 7 yds....

I won't give the data if you're not wanting it though...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Personally I think personal data on reloads using the same gun you're requesting is the best type of 'real' data available.

I have reloading data from my g/fs Dad when he had his model 29 .44 magnum...his best load had him shooting .75in groups at 7 yds....

I won't give the data if you're not wanting it though...
    hey andrew would you happen to know the powder type and bullet he used? the problem with other people's data is one typo on the person giving the data's behalf could mean the other person's firearm exploding (say you hit 9 grains but meant to hit 19). i would never do anything to risk my health or my firearms so i just kinda wanted to get a feel for the brands other people are using and then look up the proper loads for that particular configuration in the manuals. thanks xring, alot of the powders you mentioned come up in the manuals often so i'll keep an eye out for them.