Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default one from the vault. Cleaning a rifle thats been in a basement for 50 years

A friends girlfriends father has a nice Springfield 1903 bringback that he put in a basement, where it sat..... and sat. The action seems simple enough to clean, but the wood is filthy(think spiders and a thick layer of grime). How the heck do I clean this thing?

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Bucks County)

Default Re: one from the vault. Cleaning a rifle thats been in a basement for 50 years

i used simple green to clean up a rifle stock of cosmoline, dirt and grime. it worked pretty well and didn't do any damage to the stock.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: one from the vault. Cleaning a rifle thats been in a basement for 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i used simple green to clean up a rifle stock of cosmoline, dirt and grime. it worked pretty well and didn't do any damage to the stock.
    ^^^ What he said ^^^
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

There is likely no aluminum on a 1903. Beware of Simple Green if there is. It will absolutely eat aluminum. Google it to see what I mean. The USAF used it as a standard cleaner until they learned that lesson; it is now banned.

(Chester County)

The 1903 is steel. Use the Simple Green or something like that, then once the stock has cleaned up it will need to be oiled. Use 100% Tung Oil (NOT tung oil finish! there's a difference). Read up at this site for wood cleaning and differences in oils/finishes: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles...ng_article.htm

Due to the age of the rifle and since it's most likely collectible, do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) strip it and refinish it. It will lose its color, character, and originality. You will be disappointed if you attempt to do it yourself without practicing first on some other rifle stock.

And we also need some before/after pics

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    There is likely no aluminum on a 1903. Beware of Simple Green if there is. It will absolutely eat aluminum. Google it to see what I mean. The USAF used it as a standard cleaner until they learned that lesson; it is now banned.
    Thank for the info.... I thought Simple Green was the perfect solution for cleaning all parts of a firearm.

Great info, thanks.

(Monroe County)

thank you all!

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Bucks County)

Wow, are you lucky I came along when I did. I just got through reading on the internet that 1903 rifles have been known to misfire and go 'full auto' randomly if they have been exposed to dust and/or spiderwebs! Be vary careful, and just set it down someplace safe, then send me your address and I'll come by and safely dispose of it for you.
    Aren't you glad there are 'stand-up' guys like me around?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Wow, are you lucky I came along when I did. I just got through reading on the internet that 1903 rifles have been known to misfire and go 'full auto' randomly if they have been exposed to dust and/or spiderwebs! Be vary careful, and just set it down someplace safe, then send me your address and I'll come by and safely dispose of it for you.
    Aren't you glad there are 'stand-up' guys like me around?
    Totally. I hate those full auto assault bolt actions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast