Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Do I REALLY want an AR?

After several years of owning and shooting and buying and trading and selling, I've got my fireams down to .45acp, 7.62x39, and 12 gauge. Obviously, the 7.62x39 pretty much limits me to AK's and SKS's, but I have found them to be the most reliable, fun, and "effective for my purposes" rifles out there, so I am happy. I also have a pretty nice stock of those 3 ammo calibers, growing each trip to Walmart Now I keep looking at AR's and thinking to myself how cool they are! Is this really a path I want to begin to travel down?? If I had a million bucks I'd get one no problem, but finances allow for one, maybe two "major" purchases per year. Do I blow one on a rifle that I then need to start stocking mags and ammo for, and for which I will indoubtedly be suckered into buying every useless POS wizz-bang accessory for? Or should I stick with my main calibers and continue to expand weapons/ammo/magazines with it until a later date when $$$ is more expendable?? If anyone has any advice or has had to make a similar decision, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Chester County)

Default Re: Do I REALLY want an AR?

As you know I am a big AK guy... That said though, no firearm collection is complete without a 1911 and an M4 in it. Once you get started with the M4 you will understand why. I would buy a 6920 at todays prices and be done with it.

Pick up ammo, and as finances allow some accessories, in time it could easily become one of your favorite rifles. You should also look at the new rifles built by Daniel Defense, they are priced right and are high quality rifles with a strong list of features and specs...

(Northampton County)

Do I REALLY want an AR?
    Easiest question ever asked on PAFOA. Yes, you do.

And you don't have to buy all kinds of crap to hang on it. Mags are $10 each.

(Chester County)

No, you want a SCAR

My SCAR is my go to semi auto .223, I have a pile of ARs that have since been neglected since the first round I squeezed off out of my FN.

Can't afford a Scar?? Then by all means acquire an AR, ill sell you one of mine but you were talking about a big purchase so if you can swing it FNH is where its at.
    Last edited by HK51; October 20th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Of course you want an AR. Then after you get it you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner and why you wasted so much money on the inferior AK .

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HK51 View Post
    No, you want a SCAR

My SCAR is my go to semi auto .223, I have a pile of ARs that have since been neglected since the first round I squeezed off out of my FN.

Can't afford a Scar?? Then by all means acquire an AR, ill sell you one of mine but you were talking about a big purchase so if you can swing it FNH is where its at.
    Let me know what you think about it after 25k rounds or so... It is cool, but it is not the end all be all. They also need to fix some ergonomic issues on it for it to be right. If I buy one it will only be for shits and giggles, not because it is superior to any of my AR's...

The SCAR will never be adopted by the military community on anything other than a SOF level, and for good reason...

(Delaware County)

Aw Jesus Christ, now I have to go get an AR! One of the nice things about the AR, as I see it, is that other platforms are available in that caliber. As I said, 7.62x39 really relegates you to AK/SKS territory, not that theres anything wring with that. The 5.56/.223 round however, is chambered in all kinds of rifles. I especially think one of those NEF single shot setups would be cool with some really nice glass and a bipod, a great "situational" rifle to accompany the AR. All that being said, if (when) shtf, the AK is coming with me!! I'll give the AR to my neighbor who fucking broke my snowblower, let him roll the dice with it!

(Bucks County)

Ideally, you should meet up with someone who already owns a AR and shoot it at a range. See if it's right for you.

Also might want to look at either a M1A1 (m14), .308, or a M1 Garand, .30-06, which can be purchased through the CMP. It's all a matter of your personal taste, everyone has their favorites.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by X - Man View Post
    Ideally, you should meet up with someone who already owns a AR and shoot it at a range. See if it's right for you.

Also might want to look at either a M1A1 (m14), .308, or a M1 Garand, .30-06, which can be purchased through the CMP. It's all a matter of your personal taste, everyone has their favorites.

You do make an interesting point there. I have always wanted a Garand for the historic value, but since the AK handles up-close work as well as anything, maybe I do need something that can put a legitimate thump on the target at distance. Thanks for nothing A-Hole!! (just kidding, thanks for the idea, now I have even MORE to consider!)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    You do make an interesting point there. I have always wanted a Garand for the historic value, but since the AK handles up-close work as well as anything
    Not even close to as well as the AR, since the AR causes much more damage close up. And for other reasons. At close range, the AK simply has somewhat better penetration.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast