Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Colt Trooper vs S&W Model 19

I’m looking at a Colt Trooper and a S&W Model 19.

Both have 6” barrels with adjustable rear sights. They are in about the same condition, maybe better than 85% with perfect lock up and very crisp triggers in both SA and DA. The patina on the Colt is deeper than the Smith, but Colt bluing was always hand polished rather than bead polished. The Smith is easier to stage and very predictable, lightening through the pull. The Colt tension builds smoothly, increasing steadily through the pull. The bores and cylinders are perfect on both.

Depending on who you talk to, most old timers say the Colt is the better gun for its smoother action and for targets, but the S&W is better for service and longevity.

Everything else being relatively equal, the grips on the Smith need a little attention, but I will probably put Hogue’s on either one anyway. Too bad they’re not at the same shop to compare side-by-side.

What do you think?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Colt Trooper vs S&W Model 19

I prefer the S&W Model 19. It's lighter, more elegant looking, and it tends to have a more tunable double action pull. Parts are also more readily available for them than for the Trooper. I also prefer the way the trigger stages on the Smiths to the way they do on the Colts (this is just a product of owning and shooting more Smiths than Colts).

The Trooper is a great gun, don't get me wrong, it just always struck me as kind of an odd duck in the Colt line. It's a .41 frame gun, too, which makes me want to compare it to the S&W L-Frames, rather than the K-Frames like the 19.

Most important, though, is that the Trooper is going to cost you more money in the long run -- do you know what a gunsmith charges these days to get a cylinder rotating in the correct direction?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Pike County)

That’s pretty much what I am thinking. I have owned 7 or 8 Smith wheels and always liked the way they stage, tension decreases through the pull and you can predict the release to almost a single action feeling. The staging on the Trooper is certainly different, tension increases throughout the pull. I figured the parts would be more readily available than the Colt, but I hadn’t considered the tune up charges though.

(Centre County)

What are the prices? I'll wager that the Colt is higher. If equal I would have to wonder what was wrong with the Colt . You can get parts for Smiths all day long at reasonable prices. Not so the Colts, parts for them are premium priced. And what the other guys say, the cylinder turns the wrong way .

Again, like the previous repliers, buy what you will be happy with. Colts are fine revolvers. Smiths are fine revolvers. Rugers are fine revolvers (oops, you didn't mention them ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I figured the parts would be more readily available than the Colt, but I hadn’t considered the tune up charges though.
    Heh, sorry man, I forget that my usual deadpan bullshitting doesn't work online.

The comment about getting the cylinder turning the right direction was a bad joke -- Colt's DA revolvers turn the cylinder clockwise, S&W's DA revolvers turn counter-clockwise.

Nothing wrong with either one.

Though I do recall hearing an urban legend about a Sheriff's Deputy in Pa. who used to freak people out by spinning the cylinder on his Colt with one cartridge in it, snapping it shut and then putting it against his head and pulling the trigger, always with a click, and not a bang. Unbeknownst to onlookers he'd peek at the rim of the case and so long as it wasn't in position immediately to the left of the barrel, he knew he was safe. Well, legend has it that the pulled the trick with a S&W once, and the cartridge ended up immediately to the right of the barrel and he pulled the trigger, not realizing he was using a S&W. If it had been a Colt, he would have been fine, but as it was a S&W...
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Heh, sorry man, I forget that my usual deadpan bullshitting doesn't work online.

The comment about getting the cylinder turning the right direction was a bad joke -- Colt's DA revolvers turn the cylinder clockwise, S&W's DA revolvers turn counter-clockwise. ..
    Hey Rule,

That didn’t go entirely on blind eyes… I would have commented, but I wasn’t sure that’s what you meant. It was typical of my own dry sense of humor. But, just figured no one else would have put it that way.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Hey Rule,

That didn’t go entirely on blind eyes… I would have commented, but I wasn’t sure that’s what you meant. It was typical of my own dry sense of humor. But, just figured no one else would have put it that way.
    Glad to hear it!

I felt like a schmuck when I saw your reply to my first post (a moment of "Oh, shit, he thought I was serious.")

(Centre County)

Rule, I understood your first post also. DA Colts have always turned the "wrong" way . I'll venture a guess that you also understand British humor, which I do but my wife does not. It just goes completely over her head. But I guess that would be a complete thread by itself in the lounge.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    What are the prices? I'll wager that the Colt is higher. If equal I would have to wonder what was wrong with the Colt . You can get parts for Smiths all day long at reasonable prices. Not so the Colts, parts for them are premium priced. And what the other guys say, the cylinder turns the wrong way .

Again, like the previous repliers, buy what you will be happy with. Colts are fine revolvers. Smiths are fine revolvers. Rugers are fine revolvers (oops, you didn't mention them ).
    The Colt asking price is higher. But because it’s been in the showcase for a month or so I'm sure I can have it for about $80 less than tagged. That would make them almost the same out the door.

There is nothing functionally or aesthetically wrong with either gun. I inspected them closely (with my reading glasses on and a flashlight) for barrel throat cracks, erosion at the six o’clock position in the throat, peening, signs of lead deposits and bullet fouling or flame cutting between the barrel-cylinder gap and consistent spacing (although without a feeler gauge) and cylinder play, besides the normal action, hammer wiggle, lockup, timing, and all screws look untouched.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'll venture a guess that you also understand British humor, which I do but my wife does not.
    My favorite genre. It's a nerd thing, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast