Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ownership/Reigstration

I have a question regarding firearm ownership.

This may seem silly, but it is something I have been wondering. Now I know that "supposedly" there is no registartion of any firearms here in PA, but I keep hearing about these transfer fees at gunshops for rifles, handguns, and shotguns? There is a supposed fee to have a gun transferred from one name to another. This has ALWAYS puzzled me. I had been given a few rifles from my father and handguns before I was 18 and now he keeps saying about getting them transferred or something? Ummmm, if there is no registration in PA, why is this in place? And would this so called "transfer fee" apply to long guns? Just to clear up any confusion.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Ownership/Reigstration

Long guns do not need to be transfered.

Handguns need to be transfered at an FFL or sheriff...Unless if given from parent to child, grandparent to grandchild, or child to parent, or grandchild to grandparent.

The transfer at the FFL or sheriff is to ensure that handguns are not sold to those that are not allowed to own them.

You're correct, there is technically no "registration" of long guns or handguns in the state.
    Last edited by Penguini66; December 5th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Jefferson County)

As stated above..

The transfer fee is to cover the cost of the background check that the PA State Police charges the dealer, and also to cover the dealer's time.

In your situation, a "transfer" is not required by law. However if your dad insists, and if you are still under 21yo - you must transfer it at a Sheriff's office. FFL can not do transfers of any sort of handguns to anyone less than 21yo.

There is no "transfers" of long guns at all. ...No paperwork of any sort for private transfers.

(Berks County)

I am 21 years old. So no worries there. But the thing I always wondered about were these transfer fees about rifles I have heard about. I mean, it was given to me as a gift, and I still need to have it transferred? Uhhhh, last I checked there were no rifle transfer fees for two people unless I was selling it to someone elese at an FFL. My dad does not seem to know this.

See me and my dad are not getting along anymore, and there is always this thing about registration popping up which I know is nonsense. He made a threat once about he can call the police and say the rifle I have on the way to the range was stolen. However, the rifle(s) were given to me as gifts when I was 17-18 and I am now 21. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting in any hot water because two of the rifles I am going to end up selling for something else and I did not wanna deal with any more family drama.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    ...There is no "transfers" of long guns at all. ...No paperwork of any sort for private transfers.
    But you can do it if you wanted.
    seller and buyer go to FFL. FFL logs gun in and then out to buyer and does 4473/PICS just like a sale.
    Some folks will not sell FTF and do this to "get the gun out of their name". Even though technically it isn't "in" their name

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    I am 21 years old. So no worries there. But the thing I always wondered about were these transfer fees about rifles I have heard about. I mean, it was given to me as a gift, and I still need to have it transferred? Uhhhh, last I checked there were no rifle transfer fees for two people unless I was selling it to someone elese at an FFL. My dad does not seem to know this.

See me and my dad are not getting along anymore, and there is always this thing about registration popping up which I know is nonsense. He made a threat once about he can call the police and say the rifle I have on the way to the range was stolen. However, the rifle(s) were given to me as gifts when I was 17-18 and I am now 21. I just wanted to make sure I was not getting in any hot water because two of the rifles I am going to end up selling for something else and I did not wanna deal with any more family drama.
    Do you have something or someone who can collaborate the gifting 3 years ago? If so, then that will be your trump card if dad causes trouble. Or if you happen to catch dad on a good day have him sign a receipt/piece of paper stating he gifted the rifles to you. It's always a good idea to get and retain some kind of documentation when giving/selling or receiving/buying a rifle/pistol/shotgun for the 'just in case" situation.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; December 5th, 2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Luzerne County)

whoops.double tap

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    But you can do it if you wanted.
    seller and buyer go to FFL. FFL logs gun in and then out to buyer and does 4473/PICS just like a sale.
    Some folks will not sell FTF and do this to "get the gun out of their name". Even though technically it isn't "in" their name

Dealers abusing the mis belief just to earn another $15-30 for a little paperwork duty. lol

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Do you have something or someone who can collaborate the gifting 3 years ago? If so, then that will be your trump card if dad causes trouble.

Hawk,
    Yes Hawk, I have two people who can collaborate it. Sad thing is, it is really childish to get a threat from him on such a matter. Family matters, aren't they grand?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Snyder County)

My advice would be try and type something up that is official looking/sounding that says your dad gave those guns to you as a gift. And then list the guns and serial numbers. And have him sign it. And 2 people (one from your side, one his) witness it and sign it. And done....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast