Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Cops Turn on Good Guy

Play constitutional games, win unconstitutional prizes.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(York County)

This guy was on the radio here in Baltimore last week and he added more context to the event that got him arrested

He said all the cops who responded to the scene were super cool. They all thanked him for beating the bad guy silly. He said they were all super friendly. He admitted he was carrying a firearm from the beginning (stupid, but what's done is done) and said none of the cops seemed to care. They were all ready to let him leave

It was when the Lt arrived on scene and the first responders told him he admitted to carrying with a Virginia permit that the Lt ordered he be arrested immediately and booked on weapons charges.

Is the law unconstitutional? Yes. Is it enforced? Yes.

The dude wasn't morally wrong for carrying in MD but he was in blatant violation of the letter of the law. And he likely knew that. I mean here in Pennsylvania there isn't anyone with a CCW permit who isn't keenly aware that you never take a gun to Maryland. I doubt it's much different in Virginia.

On the other hand Maryland is throwing every charge they can think of at him to make an example of him.

Side note...the man he beat senseless to prevent a murder....is out on bail and has committed 2 more violent assaults since this. (And this only happened 2 months ago)

Maryland doesn't care that a violent attacker is running loose. But they will keep a Marine under watch and are ready to ruin his life for a victimless crime. (No one was hurt by his gun. It never left the holster. )

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    This guy was on the radio here in Baltimore last week and he added more context to the event that got him arrested

He said all the cops who responded to the scene were super cool. They all thanked him for beating the bad guy silly. He said they were all super friendly. He admitted he was carrying a firearm from the beginning (stupid, but what's done is done) and said none of the cops seemed to care. They were all ready to let him leave

It was when the Lt arrived on scene and the first responders told him he admitted to carrying with a Virginia permit that the Lt ordered he be arrested immediately and booked on weapons charges.

The dude wasn't morally wrong for carrying in MD but he was in blatant violation of the letter of the law. And he likely knew that. I mean here in Pennsylvania there isn't anyone with a CCW permit who isn't keenly aware that you never take a gun to Maryland. I doubt it's much different in Virginia.

On the other hand Maryland is throwing every charge they can think of at him to make an example of him.

Side note...the man he beat senseless to prevent a murder....is out on bail and has committed 2 more violent assaults since this. (And this only happened 2 months ago)

Maryland doesn't care that a violent attacker is running loose. But they will keep a Marine under watch and are ready to ruin his life for a victimless crime. (No one was hurt by his gun. It never left the holster. )
    They're probably mad at him for offending a member of their base.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Seems like the Lt is a democrat.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Seems like the Lt is a democrat.
    Those in charge tend to be that way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I think he likely knew it was illegal (given his background), and just didn't care.

He happened to get caught while being heroic, and that generates some sympathy.

But suppose he got caught because he was printing and a cop saw it. Not so sympathetic, for the same act.

The facts of the story make it clear that his carrying was not part of the hero story. He didn't use the gun to defend anyone. It is an independent fact, unrelated to his actions.

I don't think the law is in his favour at all. His attitude makes it clear that he "has a problem" with law as it exists, and he feels entitled (perhaps because of his background) to ignore it. Too bad. I don't like the law either but I'm not gonna carry into MD.

First blush, a jury may be sympathetic but I think a good prosecutor can make his case here.
    This is a situation in which at least one out of twelve good and decent Americans have a clear obligation to engage in jury nullification.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    This is a situation in which at least one out of twelve good and decent Americans have a clear obligation to engage in jury nullification.
    Perhaps so. Personally, I wouldn't want to unnecessarily gamble my livelihood on 12 people on jury duty. Nor would I want to incur the expense of doing so.

And let's not forget his employer can still look at this and fire him for being a dumbass and a risk to the company.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    C'mon man, when was the last time you waltzed into a courthouse with your sidearm attached? You're not bowing to their unconstitutional laws, are you?
    What I do, and what I will openly confess to doing, are very different things on occasion.

(Lycoming County)

You would be amazed at the number of people, even those who have a LTCF, that have no clue you're going to be arrested and a felon for life for crossing into MD or even NJ while carrying. Most people active on here know that, but the population in general is pretty ignorant on how it works.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Most people active on here know that, but the population in general is pretty ignorant. on how it works.
    Fify

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast