Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default Monroe County. Local Taxes Requirement?!

Hi guys,

A friend of mine was trying to apply for an LTCF in Monroe county today. Along with the standard application he was also given a form that requires him to submit copies of locally paid taxes. He did not speak with a sheriff or deputies, but a clerk told him that, supposedly, this is to to prove the residency in Monroe county.

1. Is the local tax forms requirement legal? What if a person works in a different county or state?

2. Did any of you hear about similar requirements in this or other counties?

Thanks to all!

Gene K.

Default Re: Monroe County. Local Taxes Requirement?!

They use the local tax form as proof of full time residence in the county, nothing more ... we took ours (not filled out) and had no problem at all.

Your friend is misreading the requirements .. all he needs to do is take a copy the form Berkheimer sends out to him, no proof of paying any taxes is required

Quote Originally Posted by rimini View Post
    1. Is the local tax forms requirement legal? What if a person works in a different county or state?
    No, the requirement is not legal. Unfortunately many jurisdictions in the Commonwealth put illegal qualifications to get a LTCF. The problem is, there is no official state body who will act on their bullshit. In order for anyone else to not put up with it, they would have to sue the sheriff in court. Since this costs time and money and will no doubt put you on the shit list with deputies in your area, most folks just go through the hoops. Hopefully your buddy will sue to enforce his rights. If so, PM me as I might be able to offer some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by rimini View Post
    2. Did any of you hear about similar requirements in this or other counties?
    Monroe county is the only one I've heard of with the tax thing. Other jurisdictions have all sorts of qualifications that violate the UFA though. Philly for instance, requires fingerprinting. Clearly a violation but until they are called on it and made to pay, they no doubt will continue.

I heard of one other county Northampton maybe??? but not sure.
    Monroe has been that way for as long as I can remember, and this is how it will stay until someone challenges it.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I heard of one other county Northampton maybe??? but not sure.
    Monroe has been that way for as long as I can remember, and this is how it will stay until someone challenges it.
    Unfortunately Monroe county might as well be another borough of NY right now and it isn't getting any better.

Said it before a million times there needs to be some MAJOR interaction with Monroe county on a WHOLE bunch of gun related topics.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Unfortunately Monroe county might as well be another borough of NY right now and it isn't getting any better.

Said it before a million times there needs to be some MAJOR interaction with Monroe county on a WHOLE bunch of gun related topics.

I'm with ya! I've said it a million times (and I hate to continually harp on it)
    but I don't miss the Pocono's one bit. A once beautiful and peaceful area is now sadly a shit hole.

Back to Berkheimer I think it’s a long hold over from pre UFA days.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I'm with ya! I've said it a million times (and I hate to continually harp on it)
    but I don't miss the Pocono's one bit. A once beautiful and peaceful area is now sadly a shit hole.
    Trust me, if we could sell out house and get the F out of here would would ina second.

(Monroe County)

I am new to Monroe County as well. The requirement is not actually proof having paid tax but your friend should call up Berkheimer and let them know he needs to register with them as a new resident for the EIT. They will then create an account and (supposedly - I haven't received mine yet) send tax form with his name and residence pre-printed.

As for Monroe County, I just posted this a couple days ago in the regional section. I first had a huge issue with the tax requirement because it appeared that those who didn't have taxes due yet as a resident were precluded from applying. Thanks to DennisH82 I learned about just registering my address. Still shouldn't be a requirement.

My other, and bigger, issue with Monroe's requirement is that the references be Monroe County residents. I am new to the area. I don't know anyone that well here yet. My neighbors appear to be great folk, but I am not about to take our very casual, on the porch conversations to "hey, wanna sign a reference card for me to the Sheriff vouching that I am an okay person to have a gun" Absolutely ludicrous.

As I mentioned in previous thread. I will have my non resident Utah CCW before I have one in my state of residency. Frustrating..... but, I am assuming since Utah and Pennsy have defacto reciprocity, I will be able to carry concealed with the Utah permit until I get to know people better. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the law.
    Memberships: NRA Lifetime, GOA Lifetime, JPFO,

Quote Originally Posted by Loolaw View Post
    I am new to Monroe County as well. The requirement is not actually proof having paid tax but your friend should call up Berkheimer and let them know he needs to register with them as a new resident for the EIT. They will then create an account and (supposedly - I haven't received mine yet) send tax form with his name and residence pre-printed.

As for Monroe County, I just posted this a couple days ago in the regional section. I first had a huge issue with the tax requirement because it appeared that those who didn't have taxes due yet as a resident were precluded from applying. Thanks to DennisH82 I learned about just registering my address. Still shouldn't be a requirement.
    Yes the point is many townships make no effort to register new residents.
    The twp tax collector knows who you are, but now effort is made to communicate with EIT collector. If you work out of state, which most in monroe do, you could live there 10 years and never pay your 1%, or at least that's the way it use to be. IMO it's just a backdoor (lazy) way of getting people to register. If you are eligible for a DL or county permit that's all you need to apply. Anything beyond that IMO is unreasonable.

My other, and bigger, issue with Monroe's requirement is that the references be Monroe County residents. I am new to the area. I don't know anyone that well here yet. My neighbors appear to be great folk, but I am not about to take our very casual, on the porch conversations to "hey, wanna sign a reference card for me to the Sheriff vouching that I am an okay person to have a gun" Absolutely ludicrous.
    Even more insane agree completely!
    FUCK BIDEN