Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Marlin X7VH 22-250 scope rings?

I just ordered a Marlin X7VH 22-250. I need to put a scope on it. I'm leaning toward a nikon prostaff BDC 4-12 x 40. I want a 4.5-18 x 40 but don't want to pay the $400 price. I don't know anything about mounting a scope. I've looked at many reviews of mounts and I don't seem to be any closer to choosing a specific set of rings. Any suggestions of specific products? Is this process tricky if you've never mounted a scope?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Marlin X7VH 22-250 scope rings?

According to the Martin website, the X7VH comes with a Weaver base. I am certain that other members will weigh in on the scope and rings to chose. I am happy with the Nikon optics and Weaver rings I have used in the past.

Mounting a scope isn't tricky (check youtube) but proper mounting requires tools to align the scope rings, mount the scope level and square, torque the rings, and bore sight. You really want the scope level and square since 22-250 has long range capability and you can drive yourself to distraction if the mounting is off.

If you belong to a club it's a good bet someone has the tools and skill to help and you may want to consider asking. I would say take the gun to a qualified shop/smith for mounting if the above option doesn't work. Unless you are going to mount the scopes for many guns, the expense of the tools will be much higher than the shop's mounting fee.