Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default What do I need to destroy a bowling pin?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently moved to PA and started shooting for fun and sport because of the guns we are able to own in this great state. I've been hunting since childhood, but my experience with guns was always limited to shotguns because of the restrictions on weapon ownership. I've learned a lot from the site, and look forward to making myself a nice collection of firearms. Since getting into the sport I've purchased a Springfield Armory XD45, and a Bushmaster M4 A3 Ar-15. I enjoy both pieces, but I've already got a bug to get something meaner.

My goal is to be able to demolish those bowling pins hanging at the range I would like some opinions on what gun to buy to shred one of those suckers in the fewest shots. I've been looking at the .308 and 30-06, would these be capable pieces? I figure it would be nice if it could also double as a legal hunting rifle so something in a bolt action would probably be the way to go. I'm sure ammo plays a role in being able to get the job done, and could use some info on that too.

I look forward to hearing your opinions, and thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What do I need to destroy a bowling pin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bringiton View Post
    My goal is to be able to demolish those bowling pins hanging at the range I would like some opinions on what gun to buy to shred one of those suckers in the fewest shots.

Flamethrower........
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Northampton County)

Hmmm...venison jerky fresh in the field...

Bringiton....I'd check with your local range buddies and see what they recommend. Having grown up in Pike County myself, I don't see people responding too nicely to you "shredding their bowling pins to pieces". We used to hate it when the weekend warriors would come up from Joisey, NYC & LI and trash our ranges, camps, etc. In this case it is definitely better to ask permission and gather opinions than to beg for forgiveness later. JMHO

(Philadelphia County)

You need a cannon big enough to fire an actual bowling ball.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Good luck. You'll be suprized at how much punishment those bowling pins can take. Your not going to "destroy" them unless maybe your shooting a .50cal rifle at them.

(Lancaster County)

Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently moved to PA and started shooting for fun and sport because of the guns we are able to own in this great state. I've been hunting since childhood, but my experience with guns was always limited to shotguns because of the restrictions on weapon ownership. I've learned a lot from the site, and look forward to making myself a nice collection of firearms. Since getting into the sport I've purchased a Springfield Armory XD45, and a Bushmaster M4 A3 Ar-15. I enjoy both pieces, but I've already got a bug to get something meaner.

My goal is to be able to demolish those bowling pins hanging at the range I would like some opinions on what gun to buy to shred one of those suckers in the fewest shots. I've been looking at the .308 and 30-06, would these be capable pieces? I figure it would be nice if it could also double as a legal hunting rifle so something in a bolt action would probably be the way to go. I'm sure ammo plays a role in being able to get the job done, and could use some info on that too.

I look forward to hearing your opinions, and thanks in advance.
    lemme just say that to break a golf ball it took 11 shots of 22 long rifle point blank range(not smart to do but i did it)and it only started to split open it didnt blow apart safe to say i was unsatisfied with the results.......ill get you next time gold ball just you wait......

Triggerh4ppy
    Gott mit uns

(Pike County)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking to ruin anyones good time, and always hold the utmost respect for the people I shoot along side. I have bowling pins I would contribute to the range, and I've also been able to show up a little before opening and have the staff hang some of my own targets.

Do they make a hollow tip type bullet for a 30-06 or .308? Figure that would make a pretty nice wound to a pin?

(Tioga County)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking to ruin anyones good time, and always hold the utmost respect for the people I shoot along side. I have bowling pins I would contribute to the range, and I've also been able to show up a little before opening and have the staff hang some of my own targets.

Do they make a hollow tip type bullet for a 30-06 or .308? Figure that would make a pretty nice wound to a pin?
    They make a multitude of different hollow point and soft tip bullets for the 30-06 and .308. I would think one of the soft points would do a better job the most of the hollow points. Most of the .30 cal. hollow point bullets are for target shooting and don't expand well in wood.

(Luzerne County)

Hollow points do way more damage to bowling pins that FMJ, even with 308s I have pins with 100+ hits that are still going strong after months of additional 223 hits. Big slow handgun bullets do a lot of damage to pins too, again especially HPs but as mentioned you may be surpised at the punishment pins can take.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    as mentioned you may be surpised at the punishment pins can take.
    You might also be surprised that the pin starts to fire back. Bowling pins are hardwood with a rough plastic cover usualy, the plastic many times will cause the bullet to bounce back. Shooting at these with .22 will definately cause ricochet and may be very dangerous, with higher calibers, if you hit it cross grain it may split after a while, its more or less like a baseball bat, there is a good side and a soft side to them. With a baseball bat, you want to hit cross grain to keep the bat longer, with bowling pins, th eoposite is true, the longer you hit them full grain the longer they last.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast