Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Help with NRA Basic Pistol Course

So, I've been a member on the forum for a while now and, finally, this is my first post. I'd first like to thank all the members for the wealth of information here and the friendly manner in which you all seem to help anyone with any question. It is in that spirit that I ask for your help.

Just this week I made my first ever firearm purchase, a Springfield XD 9mm. I'm comfortable with all the safety protocols but up to this point I've had relatively limited experience with firearms. Before I start going to the range on my own I'd like to take (at the very least) an NRA Basic Pistol Course or something equivalent.

I live pretty much in the middle of Chester County and I'm willing to travel up to an hour-ish away. So, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Bucks, Berks, and Lancaster Counties are all options. The biggest hurdle I may face is my hectic schedule so I'd like to find a place with good flexibility or, if necessary, individual instruction.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help with NRA Basic Pistol Course

Just about any club will have their resident NRA instructor. Most times, If you tell the people up front when you go that you would like some basic instructions, they will go miles out of their way to give it to you.

Most gun club members have had to go through it, and it is only paying the debt forward.

I have given many their first info on guns and the safety of guns, I know many who also do.

Perhaps some one from your area will come forward, you might also ask in the regions thread, find your reagion and ask if some one would mind if you came to the range with them a few times so they can show you the ropes.

I will add, even if some one gives you some basics, a good NRA course can go a long way, but many non NRA members will be able to give you just as much.

First tip, watch and listen to others, You already do that here, do it on the range also.

If you get the chance to hear an IDPA or USPSA person giving tips out for free to a shooter, open your ears wide.

Best of times. Be safe
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on making the choice for gun ownership and doing it the right way.

You might want to check out First Shots it is a class for new shooters sponsored by the NSSF(National Shooting Sports Foundation). I know they had a class in Stroudsburg earlier this month.

I strongly recommend you apply for a License To Carry Firearms or LTCF at the Sheriff's office. While you may not want to carry on your person for protection right now, Pennsylvania has some pretty bad laws when it comes to transporting your gun, and a LTCF makes thinks a million times easier to stay in compliance with the law.

Good luck.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbhafn View Post
    So, I've been a member on the forum for a while now and, finally, this is my first post. I'd first like to thank all the members for the wealth of information here and the friendly manner in which you all seem to help anyone with any question. It is in that spirit that I ask for your help.

Just this week I made my first ever firearm purchase, a Springfield XD 9mm. I'm comfortable with all the safety protocols but up to this point I've had relatively limited experience with firearms. Before I start going to the range on my own I'd like to take (at the very least) an NRA Basic Pistol Course or something equivalent.

I live pretty much in the middle of Chester County and I'm willing to travel up to an hour-ish away. So, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Bucks, Berks, and Lancaster Counties are all options. The biggest hurdle I may face is my hectic schedule so I'd like to find a place with good flexibility or, if necessary, individual instruction.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
    I'll definitely recommend the NRA basic pistol course. Good primer on handguns, safety, maintenance, and basics of shooting. I'd definitely recommend taking more advanced classes as well because its not in any way going to cover personal defense, but it'll get you on the road and in gear.

If you can't find a class closer to you, I'm a member at Muhlenberg Area Shooting Association and I know Margaret (Club Secretary and one of the instructors) has done the basic pistol for a father and son as a one-on-one deal because they couldn't make it to the regular class. Range membership is $15 (less if you live in the immediate communities) and the course is $85.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Bucks County)

Welcome to the hobby!

And good judgement on getting training.

I am an NRA Training Counselor, and can provide private instruction midweek day and evenings at ClassicPistol.com (Southampton PA, Bucks County, on the border of NE Philadelphia and Montgo.) Have a Basic Pistol scheduled there on Sat April 19.

I also just finished a F.I.R.S.T. steps pistol (which may be a 'quicker way' since you already found your first gun) at Langhorne Rod and Gun Club. I list my programs here in the trainng portion of the forum.

I do have a pair (husband wife) of instructors I have worked with (Mark and Annette) in Delco who like to do one on one training. HIGHLY recommended. (I didn't train them for pistol, but they are incredible.)

Finally, if all else fails, JSHOLSTERS.com has a link, and we can look for other instructors who have been part of the team.

If you send a PM with your direct Email and or phone, I can forward to Mark, if you like.

B

[QUOTE=mbhafn;628372]Just this week I made my first ever firearm purchase, a Springfield XD 9mm. I'm comfortable with all the safety protocols but up to this point I've had relatively limited experience with firearms. Before I start going to the range on my own I'd like to take (at the very least) an NRA Basic Pistol Course or something equivalent.

QUOTE]

(Perry County)

Pacer, or anyone else, I am intersted in taking an introductory-level training course for pistols as well. I am quite comfortable around guns, and have been hunting for 14 years, but I am just getting interested in them and would like to learn more tips, tricks, safety points, and how semi-autos specifically work and proper maintenance, cleaning, and care.

I might also take the course with my sister, who recently got her LTCF, and is considering getting a pistol. Not sure if she actually plans to carry it or not though.

Also, I'd like something that would be good for my wife - she grew up with her dad having firearms in the house, but she isn't at all comfortable around them. I think a little bit of knowledge would do a great deal towards making her more comfortable around my guns, and also helping her to feel more comfortable around me if I decide to start carrying (still contemplating it at this point).

So, I really have 3 people with distinctly different interests and intents, but we'd all like to go through it together. My sister's fiancee may attend as well, but he is comfortable and familiar with guns, including pistols I believe. As I've thought about it a bit more, this type of thing would probably best be handled on a more individual basis, but can you offer any means of developing contacts for this in the central PA area (I am NW of Harrisburg, in Perry County)?
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Delaware County)

I also would like some instruction dealing more with safety and related to carry tactics. I have been mainly a long gun guy, but I do shoot and own handguns. I don't need to figure out what to buy or how to clean them. Basics but not to basic. Applied for LTCF.

(Bucks County)

I'll start out with apologies, as I will respond to each post specifically, and am having trouble with my keyboard.

A group such as you describe MUST start out with the acknowledgement that the least common denominator rules the progress.

It is also a GOOD instructors dream, because you have some experiences to share, but alos has the trap of too much too fast for the least experienced party.

An NRA (since that is who my credentials comes from) F.I.R.S.T. steps may be the way to go. The REAL difference between F.I.R.S.T. steps and the basic pistol (besides time) is the alternate platform and two additional shooting positions.

Let me explain. The F.I.R.S.T. Steps (any NRA Basic Pistol intructor can teach) begins with the discussion of the causes of Firearms Related mishaps (Ignorance and Carelessness), and then with the over arching principle that the Gun is Always loaded, reviews the NRA's THREE primary RULES of GUN Safety. Some additional rules of SAFE GUN HANDLING are then reviewed. The basic parts of a selected platform (revolver OR semiauto pistol) is then instructed, and the cycle of operation discussed. Ammunition characteristics and function are reviewed. The Student is introduced to the Foundational steps of getting a round on target (position, grip, sight alignment, breath control, trigger control, and follow through) and then, typically from one position (standing two hand) begins in an orderly way to build up to live fire and sight adjustment. Cleaning the gun, and opportunities for further practice and training follows.

The NRA Basic Pistol does all that, but also shoots from the bench position and one handed standing (Bullseye) position. BOTH revolver and semi-auto platforms are instructed, and more on malfunctions, reloading, etc.

Selecting a pistol or revolver for the chosen application (collecting, target practice, learning, home defense, carry, hunting, etc) is a part of the Basic Pistol curriculum as well, and a more in depth exploration of the various calibers and ammunition selection for the chosen application.

There is an Instructor back from the Sandbox that I had the pleasure of endorsing for his next level credential (next post) from the York area, if you would like to consider Keith, I can forward contact info you PM me with. He is remarkable in that in spite of all his training (his is much more extensive than my "hobbiest' firearm /instructor background...in real life I practiced Medicine)... he is still focused on safety and basics, and is committed to your success. He is paying it forward in spite of his past payments.

For alternate instructors, I highly recommend the following strategy...

1) Talk to trusted friends and get recommendations. You want a good fit between you and the instructors philosophy and expereince. Remember...NRA programs are designed to cover the basics, and are NOT hi speed lo drag operator programs. (there are unfortunately, instrucotors who have 'bought' credentials without truly paying the price in time or effort to become effective facilitators. Buyer Beware)

2) Follow the threads here. Look in the "Training Courses" folder of this website. Many reputable instructors, myself and Jason (JSholsters) included use this site as it is a voice box for our collective rights granted by the Almighty and endorsed by the Constitution (BoR). And it is a way to get our message out to OUR community (Platinum sponsor here).

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/

Tony F is the one name I recall from the FIRE institute around Pittsburgh that I have followed, and though I have not met him, I would not hesitate at this time to refer to him. Jason Schafer, from Easton area, is my Senior Training Counselor and is excellent on this task as well as others.

DickReinheimer, though he is an NRA instructor, prefers to do more focused defense type firearms programs. I can forward contact info, and I know he teachs for some invited parties at his camp in Potter. Mike DeBethancourt is another I can highly recommend for advanced skill set specific to the Snub revolver (snubtraining.com). John Farnum has a warrior mindset, and for some...AFTER you've mastered the art of a safe draw, he has a lot to offer...

The middle of the state my only current known contact is Keith, at Freedom Armory, http://www.freedomarmory.com/ but we've been asked to consider coming out to teach an instrucotr course (need at least six candidates, and gotta cover our expenses for travel /lodging)

3) The last help I can give is the NRA directly. On their Education and training web page, you can select your state (PA) and find all the currently rostered training programs. Many people have called or wrote me because of my ads there, even though I don't have a current course in their interest listed. In fact, of you don't see a local offering, the NRA will provide a list of instructors for you to contact and try to arrange a meet (referral program)
    Understand, we have lives too, and for some of us this is a hobby, that time may not be as fast as what you are hoping for....The best in life is worth waiting for!

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Hope this helps a bit.

B

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Pacer, or anyone else, I am intersted in taking an introductory-level training course for pistols as well. I am quite comfortable around guns, and have been hunting for 14 years, but I am just getting interested in them and would like to learn more tips, tricks, safety points, and how semi-autos specifically work and proper maintenance, cleaning, and care.

I might also take the course with my sister, who recently got her LTCF, and is considering getting a pistol. Not sure if she actually plans to carry it or not though.

Also, I'd like something that would be good for my wife - she grew up with her dad having firearms in the house, but she isn't at all comfortable around them. I think a little bit of knowledge would do a great deal towards making her more comfortable around my guns, and also helping her to feel more comfortable around me if I decide to start carrying (still contemplating it at this point).

So, I really have 3 people with distinctly different interests and intents, but we'd all like to go through it together. My sister's fiancee may attend as well, but he is comfortable and familiar with guns, including pistols I believe. As I've thought about it a bit more, this type of thing would probably best be handled on a more individual basis, but can you offer any means of developing contacts for this in the central PA area (I am NW of Harrisburg, in Perry County)?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    I also would like some instruction dealing more with safety and related to carry tactics. I have been mainly a long gun guy, but I do shoot and own handguns. I don't need to figure out what to buy or how to clean them. Basics but not to basic. Applied for LTCF.

SauerGrapes, I'll refer you to some of the info in the prior post, and beg your patience as I continue to evaluate trainers and programs. I won't endorse a trainer unless I've trained with them or hear overwhelming support from someone I've actively trained with and respect. I am a Citizen, not an "operator", so my mission also is reflected in who I choose to endorse.

But your question allows me an opening to discuss the "rest" of the NRA (the organization that bestows my firearms training credentials at present) "pyramid" of programs.

The FOUNDATION is the Basic level program, such as BASIC PISTOL, and though that program focuses on safety and Bullseye type accuracy, it is an essential step upon which the other programs are based, and material presented in a Basic is NOT completely reviewed, though thoroughly relied upon.

The next level up is in the Personal Protection arena, and is entitled Personal Protection Inside the Home. Having completed a BASIC PISTOL /FIRST steps, or DEMONSTRATION of equivelent skill is a pre-requisite per NRA guidelines.

The PPITH program, as we will call it, starts out with exploring your motivation and readiness to accept responsibility for your actions relating to the use of DEADLY FORCE. Can you justify for yourself in you mind the probable outcome of using a firearm as a tool of last resort to stop a threat from the immediate risk of BODILY harm to yourself or one you have chosen to protect, which force is likely to result in Death of the assailant, criminal investigation and possibly charges, civil damage claims, public trial in the media, and social /familial ostracism?

We look at aspects ofthe criminal mind and criminal behavior (bullying the sheep) and attempt to explore methods to make us look less like a free lunch INSIDE our home (preparation, and situational awareness). We explore the physical, physiological (time dilitation, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion) mental, and emotional responses we will all go through, and discuss ways to make our responses (Freeze, Posture, Run Away, Fight, Submit) more likely effective.

We practice verbal control methods, and strategies to keep us from becomming so focused on the identified threat that we miss the secondary threat to our life from behind us (wolves travel in packs...sheep dogs are often solo)

We look at target acquisition from a defensive accuracy standpoint (bigger groups because you are often moving to cover) and high yeild zones(center of mass, because that's where the engine is, and to stop the threat, you need to shut it down. The control house is a tiny itsy butsy target that is elusive when you revert to a mass of protoplasmic ooze with only gross motor skills available to you)

And we look at effective cover...or concealment, and how to stack the deck INSIDE the home by creating a safe room.

We describe how to great the LEO who arrives, also hyped up, what to NOT say, etc.

We bring in a Lawyer or a LEO authorized to teach the law to discuss your rights, how the LEO will see those rights, and what you can expect to happen to you following this event, EVEN IF IT IS JUSTIFIED and you are eventually cleared.

Course is a MINIMUM of 9 hours. Shotguns for home defense are not CURRENTLY part of the established curriculum.

The NEXT level is taking what you learned about defense INSIDE the HOME, and now we go about our daily lives with PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE the HOME. The NRA's version of CONCEALED CARRY.

We review all the stuff above, with the additional concern that we don't always know the layout, cannot pre-determine fields of fire, still have responsibility for EVERY round to make certain an innocent is not harmed, and the delay in acquisition of our defensive tool (firearm) from cover. We choose covering or concealing our firearm, since we know the wolves, who travel in packs, may actually pick us out as first target to take our tool and use it against us or others. We prefer to remain grey, or blend in so that our assailant is never quite sure where the defense is going to strike from.

We look at adequate retention of our holster, and concealability, to maintain control of our tool, the firearm. We practice, painfully at first, how to acquire and bring our firearm to bear in a safe manner without EVER sweeping ourselves or others with the muzzle of the gun. We practice firing while on the move, at various distances, to cover, and firing over cover, around cover, on mulitple targets. And in the advanced section, we practice when the threat appears behind is, to the side, or when we are seated.

We have to bring the Lawyer in again, and speak to the ramifications, the duty to retreat (if possible) and again the use of DEADLY FORCE to stop an immediate threat of physical harm. We even explore how close is close enough to warrent such a response (the 21 foot Tueller drill is demonstrated)

I've personally taught this course about a dozen times, and see significant better performance when you have the basic skill set and have shot actively for awhile (months) and then take the PPOTH within about a month of taking the PPITH.

Thanks for listening (reading) and I hope this helps focus your pursuits.

DVC
    Diligience, Speed, Accuracy

B

(Perry County)

Wow Pacer, thanks for the informative and thorough reply! I'd love to throw some rep your way if I had the ability. Keith definitely sounds like a good possibility, although if you'd be willing, we might consider training from you directly as well, depending on where in Bucks Co. you are located and could hold the course. My sister lives in Boyertown area (near Berks-Montgomery line), and my wife and I live in Perry County, so one of us has to travel either way.

I completely understand that you guys all have personal lives as well, and realistically, I probably wouldn't be interested in having the training until May at the earliest anyway as my weekends between now and late April are pretty well booked. I'm trying to plan ahead so that all parties involved, the instructor included, have plenty of time to work it into the schedule and life.

We can continue to discuss this in more detail through PM, or in the thread for the benefit of others as you see fit. I do notice though that on the Freedom Armory site description of the NRA FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation course, it says that you should bring your own pistol and 50 rds. In a more personal, private course, I assume this would be even more true. Which leads to some potential problems for me. I am the only one that would be taking the course that currently owns a pistol, and I only have 1. Additionally, it is not of the action that we would probably be most interested in covering in the course (I have a double action revolver, but would probably like to cover semi autos in the course since I'm already familiar with revolvers and I could handle going over their operation and cleaning once everyone else has the safety and general shooting info down from the course. Would this post a deal-breaking problem?
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast