Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default AR manufactor info

With the high demand for AR's and short supply I'm currently looking a
    Doublestar Star-15 16". I'm not formilar with the company can anyone provide any information pro or con. Thank you

GJT

(York County)

Default Re: AR manufactor info

Doublestars are good stuff. I cannot recall that I ever heard a complaint about them. I have read comments from a lot of satisfied customers.

(Lawrence County)

I've shot a couple of their rifles. No issues.

Lycandecentgunsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Northampton County)

Their barrels and chambers are not chrome lined unless specially ordered. But this is overated for most people, just clean it like any other gun. If you had your heart set on shooting Wolf ammo all the time you should probably have a chrome lined chamber to make life at least slightly easier.

I have a DSA upper that is not chrome lined and I blast the crap out of it FA all the time and don't even clean it every time so I wouldn't worry unless you plan to go to the Nam.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Their barrels and chambers are not chrome lined unless specially ordered. But this is overated for most people, just clean it like any other gun. If you had your heart set on shooting Wolf ammo all the time you should probably have a chrome lined chamber to make life at least slightly easier.
    You know....it's funny you mention that about chrome lining. All my guns are not chrome lined and run Wolf like a champ, but the few times I saw guns get rounds stuck in the chamber with Wolf....or streaks where it looked like the polymer was melting.....they were all chromed chambers.

I suspect that these were chromed chambers that were not honed out to compensate for the thickness of the chrome.....or chrome has some sort of weird heat transfer quality that I'm not aware of. Anyhow, it just bears noting until we can get more information over time.

Lycanlongitudinalstudythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You know....it's funny you mention that about chrome lining. All my guns are not chrome lined and run Wolf like a champ, but the few times I saw guns get rounds stuck in the chamber with Wolf....or streaks where it looked like the polymer was melting.....they were all chromed chambers.

I suspect that these were chromed chambers that were not honed out to compensate for the thickness of the chrome.....or chrome has some sort of weird heat transfer quality that I'm not aware of. Anyhow, it just bears noting until we can get more information over time.

Lycanlongitudinalstudythrope
    I would hazard a guess at the chamber having not been overbored to compensate for the chrome lining. It doesn't go on insanely thick but it's enough that when it is hot it could melt the polymer coating on the cases (which would expand it a slight amount) and basically squeeze it.

(Bedford County)

As stated above, Double Star makes decent stuff. Most of their guns/parts are mil spec with few frills. All of their parts that I'm aware of drop right into Colt 1911 G.I. guns and Ar-15 type rifles.

My "M4" rifle uses a Double Star stripped lower receiver. I had the choice between DS, Stag or Rock River and I went with DS because it had a cooler logo on it.

Between the 3 brands there was no difference in quality... all 3 were to spec and finished in a nice black/grey color. So it came down to what logo I wanted engraved on the side.

My Colt XSE Gvt 1911 has a DS recoil spring plug and guide in it. I shit canned the full length guide rod. The DS parts dropped right in, and run as good as Colt parts costing twice as much.

Mil Spec is Mil Spec.