Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default School me on scopes

How to zero it, the different knobs etc... I know nothing

(Monroe County)

Default Re: School me on scopes

THe instruction sheet that came with the scope is a good start, did you read it?

(Montgomery County)

Yes I did...

(Butler County)

i am relatively new to rifles but my scope has a top knob, which is the elevation, a side knob which is windage, a rear knob which is the power(zoom) knob and the front of the scope turns for clarity.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Allegheny County)

First off I am NO expert on scoped rifles. I'm new to shoooting with a scope myself.

Here's some links which may help.

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/how-...il-dot-reticle

http://www.millettsights.com/resourc...-target-knobs/

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Articles.cfm
    Last edited by DaveM55; September 28th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Schuylkill County)

When sighting in your scope and rifle, use a shooting rest. Aim at the bullseye (duh) and take your first shot. Then, while keep the gun steady and aimed at the bull, use your elevation and windage adjustments to "walk" the crosshair to your point of impact on the target. Aim back at the bull and take your second shot. Should be damn close.

(Lackawanna County)

I learned from experience that zeroing with rest works for 22lr. For larger caliber you need to bolt down rest to the bench and rifle deadlocked to the rest.
    What I do for a first shot just aim at some dirt by your target and see where the bullet strikes. Adjust top knob for up and down and side knob for left right.

Usually after two shots I can move to paper target and finish the job.
    I know it's an amature way to go about it but it works for me.
    Last edited by SHTF; September 28th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fazer6PA View Post
    When sighting in your scope and rifle, use a shooting rest. Aim at the bullseye (duh) and take your first shot. Then, while keep the gun steady and aimed at the bull, use your elevation and windage adjustments to "walk" the crosshair to your point of impact on the target. Aim back at the bull and take your second shot. Should be damn close.
    That is the way I was "taught" as well, only addition would be to shoot 2 or 3 initial shots to ensure consistent points of impact. Either way it isn't that difficult to zero a scope, my suggestion to you would be try not to overcomplicate things in your mind.
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

(Montgomery County)

so I guess after you zero it in, you have to then zero out the knobs are well?

(Montgomery County)

For you to properly zero your scope, you need to make sure that it is installed correctly so that it does not move with the recoil. It comes down to the quality of your base mount and the rings; you get what you pay for. Make sure that you do the proper lapping procedure on the rings so that the scope sits even on the front and rear rings. If you go with top brands like Nightforce or Larue Tactical, you do not need to lap your rings - per the manufacturer.

After you mount your scope, you're going to want to bore sight the scope to the rifle. This is generally done using a laser that goes on the muzzle end of the barrel and points towards a target (generally 25 yards away). You then sight your scope's crosshairs to that laser. This should give you a good chance of getting on paper the first shot.

Go to the 25 yard range and then shoot your rifle. General concensus is 3 rounds before you make adjustments - this will give you a grouping. Make your winddage and elevation adjustments as seen on the directions arrow on the scope. Then take your rifle out to the 100 yard range and repeat.

Once you sight in your rifle, your point of aim and point of impact will vary at different distances. I'm not sure why some folks don't get that concept. The bullet is not a laser beam and will move in a arch pattern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast