Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Legal self defence you can carry?

I was wondering what is legal to use to protect yourself outside your house. I know with a permit you can carry a firearm but besides that the only thing I know of is pepper spray.

Just curious
    Thanks!!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Legal self defence you can carry?

Quote Originally Posted by MAB View Post
    I was wondering what is legal to use to protect yourself outside your house. I know with a permit you can carry a firearm but besides that the only thing I know of is pepper spray.

Just curious
    Thanks!!
    A firearm with LTCF; and pepper spray. I'm not aware of any OC (pepper spray) bans in Pennsylvania; that one is kind of universal. Lots of women out there carry the mini cans right on their car keys.

In many places, also knives, switchblades as well, but it depends on the municipality. Philly permits most short knives and cops generally don't care about them, but of course if you're being charged with some other crime the knife will be added on in a "Possession of Inst. of Crime" charge automatically. You aren't going into lockup in a Terry Stop if you have a knife with you, unless you have a history in Common Pleas and you're a BG.

Tasers are completely banned in Philadelphia, and that even includes TRANSPORT, so you absolutely cannot drive through Philadelphia County with a Taser, even in the trunk of your car. Possession, sale, transfer---so don't even bother with that one if you live in the Delaware Valley. Many PA municipalities have copied the Philly Taser Ban verbatim, which IMO is a shame because there are plenty of people (peaceniks) who would be more than happy owning and carrying a Taser rather than a firearm.

If you're not comfortable with carrying, I would strongly suggest pepper spray which is what I carry. I'm switching to CC daytime and nighttime and renewing since I used to only CC at nighttime here. But with the robberies last winter in my hood that have mostly happened in the morning and dead noon, I'd rather just CC all the time when I leave my house. Pepper spray cans are kind of big to keep in the front pocket--so I'd have to wear baggy pants and look a bit thuggy so I have enough room for keys, cell, etc.

I walk through the hood with $4K worth of computer equipment on me, every single day and I'm fairly happy with pepper spray. I'm more comfortable using pepper on trains and buses because of collateral than I would be CC, so I would still be carrying pepper around with me, but in my carry-on, not in my pockets.
    Last edited by ArcticSplash; September 25th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Switchblades are Prohibited Offensive Weapons, and simply possessing one is a 1st degree misdemeanor. A conviction will bar you from gun ownership for life.

There are other Prohibited Offensive Weapons, including all Tasers, stun guns, a bunch of other specifically-named weapons, and a generic category of dangerous implements that have "no common lawful purpose".

The law on Tasers and stun guns is poorly-written and confusing, there's disagreement among the experts; you'll find statements on stun gun websites saying that they're legal in PA, and you'll find DA's perfectly willing to charge them as an M1. Review the conflict between (Title 18) Section 908 and 908.1. Also notice that under no circumstances may a person prohibited from firearms ownership possess an "electronic incapacitation device", so it's a poor choice if you can't own guns.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Switchblades are Prohibited Offensive Weapons, and simply possessing one is a 1st degree misdemeanor. A conviction will bar you from gun ownership for life.
    That's good to know, by switchblade do u mean any folding knife or just spring loaded kinda stuff? I usually carry a multitool which has a knife that can be opened from outside.

That's good to know, by switchblade do u mean any folding knife or just spring loaded kinda stuff? I usually carry a multitool which has a knife that can be opened from outside.
    The statute says "....dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise,..."
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

Just curious
    Thanks!!

Open carry?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Open carry?
    I wouldnt mind open carrying dose that expand my options?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Open carry?
    I wouldnt mind open carrying dose that expand my options?
    I think tonyfac is trying to say you can open carry without a permit with certain restrictions.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

big dog on leash
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    big dog on leash
    Even if you have your dog on a leash don't you have to have complete control over it? I am not sure and this is an actual question.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast