Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Run, Hide, Fight...

http://www.the-spearhead.com/2012/09...d-for-sheeple/

Run-Hide-Fight: Mixed Thoughts About A Vid for Sheeple

by ELUSIVE WAPITI on SEPTEMBER 2, 2012

Had heard about this video (see below), joint produced by DHS and the City of Houston, but hadn’t seen it until recently.

Overall, given the sheeple disposition of your average American, I think this video is useful. It helps train them on what to do when their weapons-free bubble (see the decal on the door at 0:59) is invaded by an armed intruder determined to kill…an intruder no doubt comforted by the promise of a lack of effective resistance from relatively defenseless victims.

Of course, this delicious irony, that an “active shooter” training video would be produced in a building that prohibited its occupants from bringing defensive weapons onto the premises, was likely lost on the producers of the video, and will just as likely breeze past the average viewer too. But no matter…the point was to condition these future victims–those who put all their trust in the authorities to keep them safe at all times from criminals with murderous intent–to run and hide and, if pressed, fight with folding chairs and fire extinguishers.

From a social context, I was mildly surprised to see the men in the video depicted not as overweight bumbling fools, as they are regularly portrayed in popular media, but as take-charge leaders whose clear thinking in a deadly crisis delivers their female colleagues and less brave male coworkers to safety. This is consistent with a cultural expectation that properly socialized men step up in times of crisis to lead, protect, and defend those around them. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you; I simply find it interesting that this expectation is reinforced in this video, while in the remaining 99% of the non-crisis time, men and masculinity are marginalized if not derided. Call it “fair-weather feminism”, a corollary to “lifeboat feminism“: a feminism that asserts equality with men, if not privilege above them, so long as things go well. However, when a disaster or emergency strikes, well, it seems that our culture expects to be able to “break glass in case of emergency” to release a man’s hidden, inner white knight to ride to the rescue of the women and lesser men in his midst.

Of course, we know that in practice this dissonant expectation isn’t always realistic. But I do wonder from where our culture expects to draw these white knights, if it doesn’t actively cultivate them outside of proportionally diminishing, still-somewhat-traditional sheepdog occupations like the military and emergency services?

Even more surprising to me was the video’s depiction of a few of the female colleagues reducing themselves into sacks of panicky jell-o when the shooting started. Frankly I was surprised that feminists that surely came into contact with this video during production didn’t have those unflattering depictions of formerly strong, independent women™ excised during editing. But then again, perhaps that’s just my vertical thinking causing me difficulties again. For it seems that fair-weather feminism, just like lifeboat feminism, sports the benefits of traditional, pre-women’s-lib benevolent sexism whilst preserving the advantages of the super-equality that modern feminism delivers to women. In other words, it was in feminism’s best interest to portray female coworkers, ruthless competitors otherwise, as leavened with generous sprinklings of damsels in distress, pour encourager les hommes.

Also interesting to me was that, while the video extolled the hard work of law enforcement and government to protect the population from criminals, the video’s narrator explicitly admitted that LEOs can’t be everywhere all the time. This, coupled with the shooter’s flagrant disregard for the “gun free zone” of the office building, makes the case for the Second Amendment better than the National Rifle Association or Gun Owners of America ever could. When seconds count, the police are but minutes away. And how many fewer victims would have died had just one employee carried a .45 concealed in his business suit?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Run, Hide, Fight...

i'd agree, for the most part, with the comments here. i DID notice the no firearms sign.

Still felt a lot like a PSA and PSA's are great, but when dealing with this kind of situation, training and instinct are all you'll be able to fall back on...not what the PSA said.
    Take personal defense classes, learn first-aid, work on developing a heightened awareness of your situation in less than controlled environments.

I definitely like that it did enforce the 'FIGHT' option when no other options present themselves....rather than the, sit tight and pray option.
    shenanigans: here

(Berks County)

Some good points in the video...but the "stop, think, react" was missing. On another note: there's no way this video, or the films we saw in the 60s, "preparing us for nuclear war" are really going to help. There must be a "survive at all costs" mentality...and I'm not sure that can be trained.

There will always be leaders, and those who must be led.
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

What was the point of this article? More than 2/3rds of it centered around the difference between how the video portrays male and female roles. Who cares about that?!?
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Allegheny County)

What would we do without the government come riding in on the white horse to come save us when a active shooting happens.

Better hope they got more training the NY PD does if they open up with 40 cal MP5 machine guns

This remind me to much of duck and cover and PSA advocating hiding under your desk and worrying about USSR nukes falling BS.

Guess that is why the government is buying up all that ammo, just to keep US safe.

What happens if the government ops ever becomes the active shooter to be feared instead?
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    What would we do without the government come riding in on the white horse to come save us when a active shooting happens.

Better hope they got more training the NY PD does if they open up with 40 cal MP5 machine guns

This remind me to much of duck and cover and PSA advocating hiding under your desk and worrying about USSR nukes falling BS.

Guess that is why the government is buying up all that ammo, just to keep US safe.

What happens if the government ops ever becomes the active shooter to be feared instead?

What happens indeed ! 10 or so years ago I would've never believed that would be a concern but now, sadly, I fear it's a very legitimate concern
    Jesus is Lord !

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    What happens indeed ! 10 or so years ago I would've never believed that would be a concern but now, sadly, I fear it's a very legitimate concern
    Its a matter of perspective.

what is really causing the rash of these shooting?

is there a common thread?

like the easy availability of mind alternating drugs?

people freaking out that are taught we are nothing more than higher evolved animals

people that has lost everything just losing it

perp seeking consulting and not getting help

other common things the perps have in common

to

way out PSY=OPs of government agency using and making throw away weapons component from people for larger agenda, to justify armed troops on every corner and total surveillance society.

Keep this in mind from a government OP arming criminals in mexico to justify and create a wave of violence to enact more gun control

So its not that hard to believe that the way out stuff is not that far out any more. lets hope it just way out there and no bais in facts

governments often lie even when the truth would serve them better
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Mass killings are not increasing by any stretch of the imagination. There's quite a good bit of information about them from all over the world. School shootings go back over a century. Some people are crazy, always have been always will be. We just happen to know about more killings because of the ease of communication.

Mass killings aren't even isolated to the US or other first world nations. The world's most prolific serial killer is from a country in South America. Andrei Chikatillo was able to operate for years in the former Soviet Union because the officials there refused to believe a serial killer would be operating there. because serial killers was a western problem.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Susquehanna County)

WHat's so hard to understand?

Flee a far ambush, attack a near ambush.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Its a matter of perspective.

what is really causing the rash of these shooting?

is there a common thread?

like the easy availability of mind alternating drugs?

people freaking out that are taught we are nothing more than higher evolved animals

people that has lost everything just losing it

perp seeking consulting and not getting help

other common things the perps have in common

to

way out PSY=OPs of government agency using and making throw away weapons component from people for larger agenda, to justify armed troops on every corner and total surveillance society.

Keep this in mind from a government OP arming criminals in mexico to justify and create a wave of violence to enact more gun control

So its not that hard to believe that the way out stuff is not that far out any more. lets hope it just way out there and no bais in facts

governments often lie even when the truth would serve them better
    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Mass killings are not increasing by any stretch of the imagination. There's quite a good bit of information about them from all over the world. School shootings go back over a century. Some people are crazy, always have been always will be. We just happen to know about more killings because of the ease of communication.

Mass killings aren't even isolated to the US or other first world nations. The world's most prolific serial killer is from a country in South America. Andrei Chikatillo was able to operate for years in the former Soviet Union because the officials there refused to believe a serial killer would be operating there. because serial killers was a western problem.
    I was commenting on the statement about the chance that our gov't. could turn out to be the shooters we'll need to worry about.
    Jesus is Lord !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast