Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Turning coal room into a gun safe

I was searching the web for gun safes earlier and realized I have a coal room in my house that is unused. Its of decent size, has no windows, all the walls are the houses foundation and has just a regular door (for now). I was thinking of just adding a steel door with no external hinges and storing my guns, ammo and accessories in there. No need to worry about out growing it, it def cant be picked up and moved anywhere and funny thing is most people who have been in my basement didnt even realize the door was there (i could possibly camouflage it to blend in with the rest of the basement). Does this seem like a viable option or am I just thinking too much like a movie badass?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Turning coal room into a gun safe

If it's dry and clean enough and can be readily secured, I'd say why not. I know a guy that built a hidden store room in his basement, and there's all kinds of examples of doing that on the interwebs already if you do some looking around.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

Please post photos if you do.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Bucks County)

I think it is an excellent idea if the basement is dry and does not flood, especially with the ability of being able to hide the room. Just make sure you have a way to control the humidity in the room so nothing rust.

I have been in several basement hidden rooms that are excellent gun rooms. Due to the size, the owners are running dehumidafiers. One in particular had a really nice size work bench and storage for extra parts and tools for working on the firearms.

Best of luck with your venture.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdjs View Post
    Just make sure you have a way to control the humidity in the room so nothing rust.

I have been in several basement hidden rooms that are excellent gun rooms. Due to the size, the owners are running dehumidafiers.
    Just be careful with those. I have seen "Energy Star" dehumidifies double someone's electric bill.

GB

(Northampton County)

My main concern is the door actually. Most safes have 6-11 cylinders securing the door, this isnt really a possibility with out going to a vault door (they run about $3,000+ so not an option). Would just a steel door with steel frame provide enough security? Obviously if someone wants to get into anything they will, but I dont want it to be a walk in the park.

I'm currently sealing my basement to prevent what little moisture I get in, running a dehumidifier is an easy option to ensure it stays rust free.

(Lackawanna County)

You could even brick and mortar along the walls to make it even more secure

(Northampton County)

My main concern is the door actually. Most safes have 6-11 cylinders securing the door, this isnt really a possibility with out going to a vault door (they run about $3,000+ so not an option). Would just a steel door with steel frame provide enough security? Obviously if someone wants to get into anything they will, but I dont want it to be a walk in the park.

I'm currently sealing my basement to prevent what little moisture I get in, running a dehumidifier is an easy option to ensure it stays rust free.

(Lancaster County)

Unless you're actually building a real vault a vault type door is useless. Thinking like a criminal, if I were to see a vault door and cinderblock walls, I'd bust through the cinderblock walls with a 30lb sledge.

You'd want to secure it that it'll take time to get in. Setup an alarm system, even if it's just on that door. Have it connected to an outside siren, someone breaks in the siren goes off. Criminals don't like attention.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Unless you're actually building a real vault a vault type door is useless. Thinking like a criminal, if I were to see a vault door and cinderblock walls, I'd bust through the cinderblock walls with a 30lb sledge.

You'd want to secure it that it'll take time to get in. Setup an alarm system, even if it's just on that door. Have it connected to an outside siren, someone breaks in the siren goes off. Criminals don't like attention.
    Quoted for truth. Lots of noise and lots of lights.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast