Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 22LR dud Hint From Heloise

This is a variation on something that appeared in response to a query of mine on another site.

What's the easiest way to dismantle a dud .22 shell? Pliers seem to either be a lot more effort than it should be, or start to destroy the bullet in the process of trying to get enough of a grip.

Someone suggested using a pair of pliers on the casing and a .223 casing on the head.

As I went hunting today in the brass bucket for a .223, I also found a 7.62, and a light bulb went on.

Put the .223 over the bullet, and the 7.62 (or .30) over the casing, and bend using a steady, increasing, pressure. Voila! The dud shell and powder end up contained in the 7.62 and the bullet ends up in the .223 with a lot less bending, cursing and worrying about pinking the cap than messing around with pliers.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 22LR dud Hint From Heloise

I just use my fingers and wiggle the bullet back and forth til it comes out.... its not hard at all, and requires no tools at all.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I just use my fingers and wiggle the bullet back and forth til it comes out.... its not hard at all, and requires no tools at all.
    Tried that. No luck. Probably depends upon the crimp. Well, maybe with Winchester bulk you could just grab it by the rim and give it a flick of your wrist

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    This is a variation on something that appeared in response to a query of mine on another site.

What's the easiest way to dismantle a dud .22 shell? Pliers seem to either be a lot more effort than it should be, or start to destroy the bullet in the process of trying to get enough of a grip.

Someone suggested using a pair of pliers on the casing and a .223 casing on the head.

As I went hunting today in the brass bucket for a .223, I also found a 7.62, and a light bulb went on.

Put the .223 over the bullet, and the 7.62 (or .30) over the casing, and bend using a steady, increasing, pressure. Voila! The dud shell and powder end up contained in the 7.62 and the bullet ends up in the .223 with a lot less bending, cursing and worrying about pinking the cap than messing around with pliers.
    Do you mention destroying the bullet just in passing, or are you trying to save it? Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Do you mention destroying the bullet just in passing, or are you trying to save it? Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    Well, if you ruin it to the point where you no longer have enough to grab ahold of. And above all, this method is just faster and less messy.

I suggest you just throw them in the burn barrel like so many folks do. That way, when I am doing range maintenance it sounds like Chinese New Year.....
    Jules

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I suggest you just throw them in the burn barrel like so many folks do. That way, when I am doing range maintenance it sounds like Chinese New Year.....
    Jules
    We had a burn barrel when I was a kid. We'd let it fill up and burn once a week or so. I planted about ten boxes of old-school caps throughout the trash, hid and watched the hilarity that followed when my dad burned that evening.

Last edited by Shodan; August 21st, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    We had a burn barrel when I was a kid. We'd let it fill up and burn once a week or so. I planted about ten boxes of old-school caps throat the trash, hid and watched the hilarity that followed when my dad burned that evening.

Now thats funny I dont care how you look at it thats some funny shit .

If you dont mind I think ill give it a try sometime

I like to use the cork board or whatever the board is with all the quarter inch holes in it. Just place the bullet into the hole and lever down on the casing with even pressure.
    Works great when the board is available.

I like to use the cork board or whatever the board is with all the quarter inch holes in it. Just place the bullet into the hole and lever down on the casing with even pressure.
    Works great when the board is available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast