Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default LF Cheap AR that is decent out of the box.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a short barreled AR. It would be my first rifle, and I would not have huge performance demands for it. Something that's simple, ready to go out of the box, and not too expensive would be ideal.

The only "feature" I think I would want is a removable/rail-mounted carry handle so I could mount optics easily.

The least expensive ones I've seen are by Olympic Arms and the DPMS Panter, around $700-800. Are these half decent? For a little more, I can start getting the S&W M&P 15 and Bushmasters for around $850.

What else is there at the low end?
    Last edited by rikilii; November 29th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Franklin County)

Default Re: LF Cheap AR that is decent out of the box.

If you look long enough you can find a deal on a quality piece; cheap is not the way to go on firearms though...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Allegheny County)

From what I hear the Smiths are a nice rifle for the price.

If your comfortable "building" one look around here and youll find a large amount of info on the subject.

I dont understand why you want to go "cheap" if your going to SBR it though ? Or am I reading your post wrong?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    From what I hear the Smiths are a nice rifle for the price.

If your comfortable "building" one look around here and youll find a large amount of info on the subject.

I dont understand why you want to go "cheap" if your going to SBR it though ? Or am I reading your post wrong?
    Dunno what "SBR" means. I basically want a rifle that is fun to shoot at the range a couple times a year, so I'm looking for a high "value" without a lot of hassle, but with the flexibility of switching from iron sights to optics without spending a billion dollars. As far as building one is concerned, I have done some reading, but most of it is over my head. If someone has plug and chug a list of parts or a "kit" that I can get and slap together easily to get a great rifle at a low price, I'm all ears, but being an AR noob, I guess I'd prefer something that is ready to go out of the box.

Let's call this my cap: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/36913

It's got everything I think I want for $850, and is not "cheap" from what I can tell.

But I'd also like to know if there's anything less expensive that is comparable and still relatively reliable. Remember, I'm just getting this for fun. I'm not going hunting, I'm not using it for SD, and I'm definitely not planning on going to war.

Last edited by rikilii; November 29th, 2009 at 10:19 AM.

(Allegheny County)

you said
    Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a short barreled AR. It would be my first rifle, and I would not have huge performance demands for it. Something that's simple, ready to go out of the box, and not too expensive would be ideal.
    /snip
    SBR would be Short Barreled Rifle. It would have a bbl under 16 inches and require paperwork, ATF aproval, and a tax stamp.

thats not what your doing.

The Smith you linked to is a GREAT DEAL, BUY IT.

FWIW that same rifle retails over $1k normally. CDNN (usually some of the cheapest) has them for $1049.

You could do a build from a kit for maybe $100 or $150 less all said and done. But for the price, if you can, buy the Smith.

cheap kits:
    http://www.del-ton.com/
    youll still need a stripped lower

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    you said

SBR would be Short Barreled Rifle. It would have a bbl under 16 inches and require paperwork, ATF aproval, and a tax stamp.

thats not what your doing.

The Smith you linked to is a GREAT DEAL, BUY IT.

FWIW that same rifle retails over $1k normally. CDNN (usually some of the cheapest) has them for $1049.

You could do a build from a kit for maybe $100 or $150 less all said and done. But for the price, if you can, buy the Smith.

cheap kits:
    http://www.del-ton.com/
    youll still need a stripped lower
    Ah, I see what you mean now. I didn't mean "short barreled" in the legal sense, but rather, the shortest barrel I can get without a lot of hoops to jump through.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't know this is still valid at CDNN for not, but it worth giving them a call:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/792...tml#post980517

Al

(Montgomery County)

Surplus City in Feasterville has PD trade in Colt 6520's for $699 - that would be a much better gun than any oly or dpms. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that they have a fixed carry handle. It isn't too hard to get a gooseneck mount and add an aimpoint. And even in the worst case - you could buy a flat top upper for $100 and switch the barrel over.

Here's a link to a picture of the one i just bought from surplus city.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...d-me-home.html

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Surplus City in Feasterville has PD trade in Colt 6520's for $699 - that would be a much better gun than any oly or dpms. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that they have a fixed carry handle. It isn't too hard to get a gooseneck mount and add an aimpoint. And even in the worst case - you could buy a flat top upper for $100 and switch the barrel over.

Here's a link to a picture of the one i just bought from surplus city.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...d-me-home.html
    Yeah, i was there and saw them...was very tempted, but I know almost nothing about ARs and wouldn't know what to look for to make sure it was in good shape. That's kind of why I was looking for a new one.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Yeah, i was there and saw them...was very tempted, but I know almost nothing about ARs and wouldn't know what to look for to make sure it was in good shape. That's kind of why I was looking for a new one.
    It's a shame you didn't say something. I was in there on friday (getting mine) and would have helped you pick one.

Honestly though, of the 6 i picked through none had any serious mechanical flaws - just cosmetic - and they weren't that bad.

The things i was looking for were upper to lower fit (i like mine to be tighter without much wobble).

Looked down the bore at the chamber end.

Looked to see if the bolt / extracter were tight.

Looked for the best non scratched up finish.

It is a Colt afterall so it should run without a hicup

I'd still consider one of them - they are a great buy and like i said much better than an oly or dpms. Those 6520's were going for $1000 - $1200 new.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; November 29th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast