Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS

(Delaware County)

Default SKS

I would like to buy an SKS my questions are:

With a $200.00 budget what can I get?

Which ones should I stay away from?

How are the aftermarket stocks for these guns?(if your a pureist skip this question)

I see some with a 10rd fixed mag and some with detachable mags which is better?

Thanks in advance for any info!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Default Re: SKS

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    I would like to buy an SKS my questions are:

With a $200.00 budget what can I get?

Which ones should I stay away from?

How are the aftermarket stocks for these guns?(if your a pureist skip this question)

I see some with a 10rd fixed mag and some with detachable mags which is better?

Thanks in advance for any info!
    For that budget, you should be able to easily find either a Yugo M59/66 or a Chinese Norinco model SKS. I got my Yugo SKS from Riggles Gap Gun Shop (near Altoona) for $159.99. I haven't heard of any 'bad' SKS models, so I don't know of any that you should stay away from. I don't like aftermarket stocks, so I can't answer that one. If you want to be able to use a detachable mag, then I would go with one of the Chinese variants (not sure which one, maybe someone else can answer that), which accept AK magazines. I have heard that unless you get lucky, no detachable mag is going to work as well as the stock fixed mag.

That's about all I know, hopefully that gets you started.

Oh, try this website for lots of SKS info: Surplus Rifle (SKS).

Last thing: no matter what you get, you're going to have a lot of fun with it! Enjoy!
    Last edited by lexington86; April 15th, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Instead of retyping I'll just point you to:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

These days it seems that the Yugo's are everywhere. On line I would check out Aims Surplus and J&T Sales. Or just go to the next gun show.

Lots of stocks and add ons out there.

I have a Tula with Laminated Stock - fun little puppy to shoot.

If you like the SKS, also check out the M44. Tons of them out there for about $ 99.

ETA, forget what I wrote and listen to Lex86

(Berks County)

go to a gun show and u can find a yugo still with cosmo for under 200 bucks, as for the mag id leave it......the 10 mag it comes with is much more reliable and also with stripper clips easy to reload.....i have about 600 rounds on stripper clips, if u went with mags it would be a lot of money for that many rounds in mags, also if u leave the original mag u can load single rounds into the gun when u run out of strippers...i got mine for bout 100 bucks last year at the reading gun show and its a very good plinker

200 should get you the best yugo sks out there with a little left over

....... for what its worth detach mags were very iffy in the past. What worked in one gun might not work in another , etc

... but i have been told that the very new tapco mags work ....... i do not know that 1st hand tho
    but i suggest if you buy any ... make sure they can be returned just in case

(Allegheny County)

I picked up my Yugo SKS this past christmas for $120 (Big sale at Dunham's)
    I like it so much! I keep wondering why everyone bitches about paying $10 more for one at "this place" than at the "other place".
    Hell, you can't beat it for a good shooting budget rifle. If I had $200 in my pocket, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Note:
    Yugos are a bit heavier than other models... actually, the accepted term is "beefy"!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Those things eat anything. Just go get one and never look back. You'll wonder why it took you so long to get one.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Lancaster County)

I just picked up a Yugo SKS for $180 in mint condition at Dunhams yesterday in harrisburg.

the only flaw was that a sling tab was missing. no cracked or broken parts.

I have seem them for $175 with broken or missing parts all over the place. plus picked up a Tapco ar-15 style stock & a 20 round mag for $100
    Last edited by RUBZERK; April 17th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

(Delaware County)

Well I finally got my Yugo SKS at French creek outffitters in Phoenixville for $129.99 I'll let you know how it shoots. I may tacticool it with a Tapco T6 stock and 20rd mag but I'm not positive yet. Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast