Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Powderless 22 ammo

Anyone on here experianced with it? Ive searched on here and found no threads. Ive read some opinions on its usufulness on some other sites but just like anything, no one agrees. I have a vermin problem here in the park. Ive tried traps and catching them by hand.

Im tired and outnumbered.

But anyhow ive heard that its not wise to use in a rifle as most is designed for handgun use. But i did read that Aquila Super Colibrí powderless ammo IS made for rifle use.

Has anyone tried it? I guess the regular colibri is for the pistol as apposed to the super colibri. Id prefer to use a rifle for this job, but if the pistol shot would be better, thats the way i'll go.

Just dont want the little hellmongers to suffer.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Powderless 22 ammo

I picked up a few bricks. I shoot them trough a revolver. I found that they sometimes bounce off of what I would soot them at. They are pretty quit. i do not know how they would work through a rifle or on vermin.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I shoot them through an 18" m-6 scout and they make less noise than an air gun.

If you're close enough you can down very small game with it. (I shoot the crows that wake me up @ 5am)...just get right near 'em and give em a little surprise.

(Lehigh County)

The super colibris work great in a rifle. Best thing for critters is to get as close as you can and go for the head shot as the bullets have little to no penetration power.

SO quiet though. All you hear is the pin hitting the rim and the bullet hitting the target. Its kinda fun actually.

i wouldnt want to shoot them out of a rifle... you risk getting a jam in the barrel.

stubby has a couple boxes for sale though...
    This Space For Rent

(Cumberland County)

You could always try 22 CB. CCI makes both long & short versions. They are loaded to produce around 700fps from a rifle. 29gr round nose pill. They are only marginally louder than a higher power air rifle. I have taken a few groundhogs at < 25 yards with them. Shot placement is critical, but they do the job quite well. They are perfect for squirrels.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Blair County)

You can step down one more to the BB cap, or "Flobert-Rundkugeln", AKA Ball Breach Caps. Expensive though, 100 for $20, made by Dynamit Nobel.

Steve

why not just use a quality high power air rifle? 22 cal pellet is good for killing rodent sized animals
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Chester County)

super cloibris are fine out of a relativly short rifle barrel. i have shot many boxes out of a gallery gun with no problems. avoid standard colibris with a rifle. perhaps if you have a rifle try sniper sub sonics from aguila they are a 60gr bullet moving pretty slow. i have shot them from a p22 and they are not as quite as a colibri but way more quite than a standard .22. plus a rifle barrrel would contribute more. and much much more killing potential.

That Super Colibri powderless .22 ammo is great. I target shoot with it in my basement, and use it to blow squirrels off my bird feeder in the back yard. It is too loud to fire outdoors out of a pistol, at least in an urban area like I live in. However, it is totally silent when fired out of a rifle. The only noise you hear are the mechanics of the rifle. It is quieter than my low power springer air rifle. I have no idea what the velosity of these are, but I do know from shooting them into a phone book and 3/4 inch plywood at 25 feet in my basement, that they penetrate those as deep as my high power (1000 fps) 17 caliber pellet gun. They are powerful enough the easily kill a squirrel from 25 feet. The only bad thing about them is they seem to really dirty up gun barrels quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast