Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Best AR/AR Parts for under $1K?

ITT: lots of flame wars! No, but seriously..

Just like the Best .45 for under a grand, I'll be getting about $1,200 around September, and I'd love to get my first AR, but there is SO MUCH OUT THERE. I really have no idea what is good or bad - what to look for, or not. I've done a ton of research, but I still feel lost.

About $1,000 for the AR, about $200 or so for the optics. Sound about right?

Above all else: Halp!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Best AR/AR Parts for under $1K?

What are you looking for out of the AR? For your price range, i'd look at a Bushmaster or Stag. Me, i'd get one of those brands with a 16" barrel, flat top with removable carry handle.

I think a $200 budget for optics is too low. Even a good dot scope is going to run you 3-500. Then you still need a rear buis--another $100.

For me, you cant beat a 16" barreled gun with an Eotech (i like the new model eotech that uses the cr123 batteries and has the on off switch on the side--i don't own one yet though) and an arms flip up rear site.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 27th, 2008 at 01:48 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Oh yes. I'm really looking for an M4 barrel, 16", 6-position, and flat top w/ removeable carry handle. If $200 is low for optics, I should be able to get some more for it with relative ease. Any recommendations as far as optics with power?

First thing I was looking at was a DPMS lower, Stag upper. Then I looked at just Stag prebuilt, then an M&P15 (which is Stag anyway), and now a Bushmaster.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    Oh yes. I'm really looking for an M4 barrel, 16", 6-position, and flat top w/ removeable carry handle. If $200 is low for optics, I should be able to get some more for it with relative ease. Any recomendations as far as optics with power?

I mostly have eotechs and aimpoints. I feel they work fantastic for shooting 100yds or less. I have and do shoot out at 200yds with them but for me, that is pushing my limits with a non magnified red dot.

I did buy a 1-4 power millet dms-1 for my sons ar. It is a pretty good scope for about $225. I prefer my dot scopes because they are much faster (close in) than the millet and like i said, most of my shooting is 100yds or less.

EDIT---also wanted to add that i see you are in coopersburg. You could see Dave Donley in quakertown for all of your ar needs---he knows the ar. He can get you a stag lower for about $115 and a lower parts kit for $65 and a RRA 6pos stock for $70. Then you'd just need to buy a complete upper. I think i bought my last stag upper on line for under $500. So, for around $750, you could build a stag yourself. Minus the optic and buis. I'll pm you dave contact info.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 27th, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    EDIT---also wanted to add that i see you are in coopersburg. You could see Dave Donley in quakertown for all of your ar needs---he knows the ar. He can get you a stag lower for about $115 and a lower parts kit for $65 and a RRA 6pos stock for $70. Then you'd just need to buy a complete upper. I think i bought my last stag upper on line for under $500. So, for around $750, you could build a stag yourself. Minus the optic and buis.
    I was definitely going to go through Dave, funny you should mention it. Great guy to deal with. I was hoping he would do another AR Build Party soon. Glad to get another +1 for him other than myself. :P For that price, my optics budget is now at about $500.
    Last edited by FireGS; July 27th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Stag-15 Complete Upper Half With A.R.M.S. #40 A2 Flip Up Rear Sight Model 2H Pre-Ban Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle - $500
    http://www.gunrunner1000.com/zencart...90ee8f284d225b

Stag Arms M4 Lower 1/2 - with 6 Position Stock with Lower Parts Kit Installed with 6 Position Stock - $231.98

Basically? $731.98 + 43.91 Tax = $776. ooh, almost Patriotic!

(Montgomery County)

Stag-15 Complete Upper Half With A.R.M.S. #40 A2 Flip Up Rear Sight Model 2H Pre-Ban Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle - $500

Stag Arms M4 Lower 1/2 - with 6 Position Stock with Lower Parts Kit Installed with 6 Position Stock - $231.98

Basically? $731.98 + 43.91 Tax = $776. ooh, almost Patriotic!
    Yep---that is the exact upper i bought the last time. Only difference for me was i bought the lower / parts kit / stock seperatly and put them together myself. It is a great shooter---my son loves it. We have about 1k rounds through it now and never had any problems. You can check out this thread to see how it shoots for accuracy. http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...ing-today.html

That target was shot off hand at 50yds using wolf ammo.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 27th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the EBR club!

(Lehigh County)

Michele, I was looking at something similar to your Del-Ton on Atlantic Firearms.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=516

Think the bit extra in cash is worth it? How do the Del-Ton parts stack up against the Stag parts?

Michele, I was looking at something similar to your Del-Ton on Atlantic Firearms.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=516

Think the bit extra in cash is worth it? How do the Del-Ton parts stack up against the Stag parts?
    To tell you the truth, Lycanthrope designed my AR. He told me what to get and I did. I told him I wanted it to be light and he did a great job. I couldn't tell you what the advantages are with going with a Del-ton upper or specifically a Stag lower.

I love my AR! I love the way it handles and I love the way it looks.

Everyone has their own personal preference. Thats why I would suggest a build yourself so you can tailor it to exactly what you want. Sometimes when you get an already made gun you wind up tweaking it to your likes and that can run into some money with changes. If you build it yourself you can add or subtract. Saves money in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast