Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default My Mother in Law & My Guns

I use my in laws backyard as my primary shooting range. Out of habit I always ask permission first. Usually when I ask and my mother in law is present she usually asks "Am I going to get a turn"? I just brought some ammo for my carry gun since it seemed like it was going to be scattered showers all day. I put 100 rounds of WWB thru my Bersa Firestorm mini 40 pro (Thunder UC 40) and I saved 10 rounds each for my mother in law and my wife. This was my only pistol they haven't fired yet and I warned them it wasn't going to be as pleasant(Recoil wise) as my others. First shot I thought it was coming out of my mother in laws hands but she managed to hang on. Next up my wife. She didn't like it either because of the recoil but was still disapointed when the slide locked open. "Really that was 10 already"?

Next time I promised to bring a few pistols they actually enjoy shooting.

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: My Mother in Law & My Guns

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I use my in laws backyard as my primary shooting range. Out of habit I always ask permission first. Usually when I ask and my mother in law is present she usually asks "Am I going to get a turn"? I just brought some ammo for my carry gun since it seemed like it was going to be scattered showers all day. I put 100 rounds of WWB thru my Bersa Firestorm mini 40 pro (Thunder UC 40) and I saved 10 rounds each for my mother in law and my wife. This was my only pistol they haven't fired yet and I warned them it wasn't going to be as pleasant(Recoil wise) as my others. First shot I thought it was coming out of my mother in laws hands but she managed to hang on. Next up my wife. She didn't like it either because of the recoil but was still disapointed when the slide locked open. "Really that was 10 already"?

Next time I promised to bring a few pistols they actually enjoy shooting.
    Thought this was going to be a mother-in-law rant. Instead you are most fortunate. You have good "caliber" in-laws.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Thought this was going to be a mother-in-law rant. Instead you are most fortunate. You have good "caliber" in-laws.
    Agreed, I thought the same thing but was glad to see the opposite
    Jesus is Lord !

(Bucks County)

I like your wifes reaction. "that's 10 already?" Save her some more. The more she shoots a 40, the better she will like it. Oh, wait. That's less shooting for you. Better think about that one.

(Montgomery County)

Neither my mother nor my MIL really "get" gun ownership to say the very least. My mom was frankly appalled when she found out that I carried. If only she knew how many men in our extended family carry, lol. Even my dad doesn't get it really. Dad feels that gun ownership is more about protecting your physical home than your person wherever you go. He thinks that so long as you "feel safe" where you are headed, there's no reason to carry. My thought is what may happen in between, and how could you possibly know everyone that's likely to be in a public place? My wife was talking to her mom a few months back, and after being asked what we did that day my wife mentioned that we were at the gun range. MIL freaked. "You have a gun!?!?!" Bear in mind she lives in NJ, and is totally OK with their politics. My wife kept calm and said of course, we shoot as often as we can, and then of course had to field countless Anti inspired questions of don't you feel unsafe, aren't guns dangerous and what happens if it goes off in the home, among others.

In short, I wish my family was as reasonably minded as yours is when it comes to basic rights. They've got a lot else right though (maybe not so much the MIL), so I don't want to sound like I'm particularly upset at them. Just like my staunchly Anti friends. Not going to stop associating with them because they don't feel the same way I do on one issue. I just make sure I'm well concealed first to avoid the argument.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I've read many post on this forum about anti mother in laws, so I figured I should relate my experience. She is like a kid in a candy store when I bring something she likes to shoot. My father in law hasn't joined the fun yet. I'm not really sure why but he likes seeing others have fun shooting. I think it reminds him of his son he lost many years ago.

Trust me its not always a picnic with the in laws and I'm sure they feel the same about me but we trust each other with loaded firearms.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    I like your wifes reaction. "that's 10 already?" Save her some more. The more she shoots a 40, the better she will like it. Oh, wait. That's less shooting for you. Better think about that one.
    My wife and mother in law both love shooting my Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W. If you never tried one in that caliber, you don't know what your missing.
    It has to be the sweetest shooting 40 ever produced. It has a really stiff recoil spring making it hard to rack the slide, but the felt recoil is more like shooting a .380 or less. It has much less felt recoil then my S&W 5906, which they also don't mind shooting.

I'm not greedy maybe she can have 20 rounds next time.
    Next range trip they are getting schooled on the AR.

(Centre County)

OP: you have the best MiL ever.
    Mine is a medling ©µn+. She's also a depressed, certifiable nutcase, and one of the dumbest people I know.

(Montgomery County)

Pictures of MIL or it didn't happen...

(Allegheny County)

Having a "good shot" mother in law can go real wrong real fast..... especially around Thanksgiving time at my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast