Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Polietely asking my neighbor not to shoot off his back porch?

Next door neighbor shoots periodically off his back porch, house are on both sides within 50-60 yards away, and private property with 3 utility trailers directly behind where he shoots 30-40 yards uphill. Trees are between the hill and the trailers where he shoots.
    I wish to remain neighborly and see this as a safety concern. Weapons include .223 and .45 and there are may others. He does not have a clear line of sight to the utility trailers, and the house immediately next to where he shoots is at best 50 yards away and its 90 degrees to the bank he is shooting into.
    How should I approach this and still remain neighborly.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Berks County)

Default Re: Polietely asking my neighbor not to shoot off his back porch?

To be honest, if he is that ignorant and that inconsiderate to shoot that close to others houses, there probably is no real good way to approach him. If you decide to though I would try the nice approach and if that does not work call the troopers.

Sounds to me like the issue will end up coming to a head if he ever starts shooting and someone is back at the utility trailers. I would not blame that person one bit if they kicked the ever loving hell out of the guy.

It is hard dealing with stupid people. Reason and common sense usually does not work.

(Tioga County)

We've had that issue with 2 neighbors that let loose bullets fly onto our property. We know that for sure since they nearly plugged a contractor working on the property, among other incidents like shot up trees.

They've been talked to nicely and for now it's been fine. 2 years it got pretty bad with drinking and carousing until 4 AM and firing off rounds in whatever direction.

Lucky for them the cops did not get involved because the judges up here like to keep the jail full.

I thought I saw a law up here that said you can't shoot within 250 yards of a neighbors house, but I can't remember where I saw it now. I can't remember if it is a state law or local law.

I'd say if you feel comfortable talking to that person, fine. If not speak to the local police or state police and then let them deal with it.

(Lancaster County)

Tell him to get a TiRant or Osprey for the .45 and a M4-2000 for the .223. Problem solved.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Mifflin County)

If it is a safety issue help him build a better range for the both of you two enjoy. :P

If it is a noise issue then get some suppressors.

Is it a true safety issue or is it a noise issue?

I shoot in my backyard (9 mm, 45, and 22 rf, no highpowered rifle rounds)...I have houses to my right and left ranging from 100 yards away to 200 yards away but no one directly behind me, and I have a backstop so I know exactly where the rounds are going. Neighbors don't like the noise Im sure, and there is one guy I know for a fact that DOES have a problem with it, but I only do it for an hour once or twice a month.

If he doesn't have a proper backstop let him know if he is approachable.

If its "just" a noise issue, you may be out of luck unless your township specifically prohibits discharging a firearm.

ETA: If it is constant gunfire for hours at a time I can see that being a problem ad in that case look to your local ordnances. There is probably a "nuisance" ordnance. My township (Nockamixon) has one and it is very loosely defined so that anything that agitates someone could be called a nuisance. However before going this route I would try talking to him. Sometimes people can be more reasonable than you think.
    Last edited by glocke12; June 9th, 2013 at 06:54 AM.

(Northampton County)

Explain it to him. It might help. You would hope that it would at least put him on notice that he's probably going to be held responsible if he hits something/someone.

NRA should take school kids out to the pits with a rifle full of tracers to show them what bullets do when they don't lodge in a berm.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Explain it to him. It might help. You would hope that it would at least put him on notice that he's probably going to be held responsible if he hits something/someone.
    Haha if you have to explain to someone that if they shoot someone they'll be held responsible, well, that's pretty scary!
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
    Haha if you have to explain to someone that if they shoot someone they'll be held responsible, well, that's pretty scary!
    Well more specifically, he is shooting in that direction, he is doing it unsafely, he's been told, if anybody comes asking about it they should talk to him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast