Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default I saw the WORST thing EVER on a firearm the other day.......

This may go in the Rifle forum, but I thought I'd post this here for those who don't visit that part......

(rant start......)My grandmother gave my father his father's Winchester 94 .38-55 lever action, 26-inch barrel, rifle eons ago. It had been setting in his bedroom with me waiting patiently to someday get it from him. Due to unforeseen circumstances, my cousin now has it and won't give it up (rant over......)

The point to this is I've been looking for the same model to purchase and give to my father b/4 he passes (over 85 now). I keep an eye on listings @ gunbroker and Cabella's. For the specific model I'm looking for, the good ones range in price from $2000 up $5000.

I was at Freedom Armory the other day and happened to see that there was a Model 94, .38-55 on consignment for $1795.00!!! (OH JOY!!!). They handed it to me and I'm drolling all over the place. Wood's in good shape, bluing looks good also, the action is well lubricated.......GREAT! I start looking closer for identifying marks and what to my wondering eyes appear???

SOMEONE HAD USED A CHEAP ELECTRIC ETCHER AND ETCHED THEIR INITIALS, the words PH. NO. AND THEIR PHONE NUMBER ON TOP OF THE BARREL IN FRONT OF THE REAR SIGHT!!!

My heart sank! I handed it back to the guy and asked if there was any mention of a possible price reduction and where the guy lived........ He said the guy would go down a $100 and he was from MD.

Needless to say, don't let ANYONE (yourself included) ever etch a visible part of a firearm or any other object that has the potential of being around years later because you've just helped reduce the value and price, and shattered the dreams of someone!!!

$.02

(I really hope this guys reads this and finds out how badly he screwed up if he did it or how OVERPRICED the disfigured object is!)
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: I saw the WORST thing EVER on a firearm the other day.......

Aw, man! Thats a shame! Back then, guns where just another tool, just like you'd scribe your initials on a set of wrenches or something.

(Allegheny County)

What about cool etchings though? I was thinking of having a local guy engrave "ANGEL OF DEATH" on my Kimber's slide, just for f*cks sake....
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Lycoming County)

I see this kinda thing almost everyday at the shop (sullivan county). old timers do it so if they lose it in the woods or it gets stolen it can be tracked down. the norm up here is first initial and last name followed by SS#. I've seen it on every kind of gun from Pre-64 winchesters to brand new guns. I try to advise them not to do it but, their stuck in their ways. its a shame but at the same time it gives an older rifle some life and history.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry to hear your dream rifle was dashed at the last moment. That sucks.

A very good friend of mine has overcome a great many things in her young life. I introduced her to shooting as a means of defending herself from very real threats, only to learn she was deathly afraid of guns. Through a lot of patient, careful coaching, talking, etc, she finally bought a gun--a Springfield G.I. Micro in .45 no less--got her carry permit, took the classes, and has been doing a lot of practicing on her own.

I went shooting with her a few weeks ago, and as she handed me her gun I noticed a particular twinkle in her eye and a barely contained smile. She glanced at the gun, so I looked too. There, on the slide, just below the front sight, was etched the words FUCK FEAR.

Sure the gun is now worth less. But to her that gun means so much more than a few hundred dollars worth of parkerized steel. And I have never been prouder of any other human being (except for my children) than I was in that moment.
    I carry a gun not to take lives, but to keep mine from being taken.

(York County)

That sucks man. My old man had his service pistol engraved with his initials under the rubber grips after he retired. I guess in an attempt to recover if ever lost or stolen.

BB
    3%

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLR666 View Post
    old timers do it so if they lose it in the woods or it gets stolen it can be tracked down. the norm up here is first initial and last name followed by SS#.
    Did I read that correctly, they write their first initial, last name, and social security number?! I would hope they realize how easily someone can steal their identity with that.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilA View Post
    Sorry to hear your dream rifle was dashed at the last moment. That sucks.

A very good friend of mine has overcome a great many things in her young life. I introduced her to shooting as a means of defending herself from very real threats, only to learn she was deathly afraid of guns. Through a lot of patient, careful coaching, talking, etc, she finally bought a gun--a Springfield G.I. Micro in .45 no less--got her carry permit, took the classes, and has been doing a lot of practicing on her own.

I went shooting with her a few weeks ago, and as she handed me her gun I noticed a particular twinkle in her eye and a barely contained smile. She glanced at the gun, so I looked too. There, on the slide, just below the front sight, was etched the words FUCK FEAR.

Sure the gun is now worth less. But to her that gun means so much more than a few hundred dollars worth of parkerized steel. And I have never been prouder of any other human being (except for my children) than I was in that moment.
    Great story man. Sounds like she has overcome alot.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lycoming County)

you read it right, that's what i tel them but they reply " me, you, and my kids are the only ones that see it. and i bet none of ya want to be me." they feel safe doing it, and i know i'm not going to try to be them. those people that steal others idenitys need beat or worse, little bastards!

(Dauphin County)

damn lowflyer sorry to hear it, but think of it this way, its fate's way of saying theres a better one out there for you !!

keep looking man .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast